“do not believe the bad reviews, we had a great experience”

Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue
Ranked #130 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I was a guest at the Comfort Inn from sun 5-5-13 to fri 5-10-13. My trip was booked through Funjet Vacations. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a suite at no increase in price. room 517. Check in was quick and staff was very friendly. The staff was helpful in recomending tours to take and our room was very clean with no complaints. There is a daily shuttle to union station in the morning up to 11am and after 5pm to 1015 pm which was very convenient to us. Train noise consisted of high speed Amtrak trains zooming by. the were not blowing their whistles and the train noise was minimal. Hotel was well maintained and the free breakfast was very good with eggs, meat, waffles, etc. Blanca, the breakfst hostess did an excellant job of keeping things clean. Dennis at the front desk also did a great jobof assisting us. The neighborhood is a little run down, buts its not that bad. Fast food and convenience store were about 4 blocks away which we walked to several times. I don't think I would walk this at night time, but during the day, we felt safe and were never hassled. If you are looking for a 5 star hotle with bar/restaurant, dont stay here . Ifyou are looking for a good clean hotel to stay at while touring washington dc, this is an excellant choice as their prices were much better thans some of the other hotels. We enjoyed our stay here while touring DC, yes, I would stay here again. Mary

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garymary

Reviewed 14 May 2013

This hotel is not 5 star but it is good because it is not as expensive as the other hotels in washington. Also the breakfast is not bad and the hotel has a free shuttle that takes you to Union Station and from there you can walk to the major sights of Washington. the rooms have no wardrobes, beds are comfortable and the bathrooms very neat. I definitely recommend it for a few days.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Yineth
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We were looking for an inexpensive place close to downtown with a free breakfast and shuttle to the Metro. This meet all the requirements. Yes the neighborhood is run down some but that would be the only negative (since I am not here to see the neighborhood that was fine).

Well maintained inside - nice wood work, great well stocked breakfast area, friendly staff, the shuttle ran regularly and looked new inside There is a good bit of street noise in the morning, next time I will request the backside of the hotel.

I don't know what the negatvie reviewers were expecting in DC for this price but it was slightly better than what I figured we get. We are platium Comfort chain members so we have stayed in many different ones.

Room Tip: If you are not used to traffic sounds in the morning ask for a room on the backside.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Hotel is in a terrible neighborhood, ugly and dilapidated. Choice hotels should be embarrassed to be associated with this location. Room was clean, that is the only good thing we could say about it. Access to the front is impossible for a handicap person.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!!
Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ribob
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Far from union station like 15 minutes on a rickedy van. at check in there appeared to have been shelter families with multiple children. the decor is shabby 70's the breakfast was spartan. i cant see how this could be rated above poor. the van is am and eveninng only so you had to cab it in between. dont believe positive reviews...do not stay here!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I made a reservation at this hotel, then cancelled it the same day after finding an alternate place to stay. The cancellation policy was for 48 hours prior to arrival. I cancelled about a month prior to expected arrival. A pending charge showed up on my credit card so I called the credit card company and told them I had cancelled the reservation. A few days later the charge was put through and my Choice Hotels profile recorded me as a "no-show". I first contacted the hotel directly, and the person I spoke with said I had to call the corporate office since I had made my reservation through the web site. I then spent more time on the phone with someone at corporate. He had my reservation as well as the cancellation confirmation, but he was unable to resolve the issue while I was on the phone with him. In the meantime, I have filed a dispute with the credit card company. So far, the charge is still showing up on my account. (This would have been a solo trip in April, but I did not take the trip; I was unable to submit the review without this information.)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2013

First, its not near Union Station- it's a 15-20 minute ride via shuttle that does not operate between 11 AM and 5 PM. Taxi fare is about $12 one way. The hotel is adjacent to cargo and passenger rail lines that operate 24/7- bring ear plus. Also, it was impossible to adjust the hot water in the shower- too hot or too cold. The room itself was good and service was good.

Room Tip: Request room on STREET side of building to lessen noise of trains.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple