“So bad not even a comfort inn anymore!”

Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue
Ranked #130 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Charlotte, North Carolina
“So bad not even a comfort inn anymore!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I normally stay at Choice hotels. I normally am very pleased. Not here. I don't have time nor energy to go over everything so I'll list the highlights. First, ever see the movie Blues Brothers? Remember the scene where they get to the hotel and the train comes by. Again and again? And no matter what you hear it because it's right outside the window? You can see why I was so happy. Then the next morning I went for the complimentary breakfast they claim to have. They had something but it wasn't edible breakfast. And I particularly loved the orange colored water. I think it was supposed to pretend to be orange juice. Finally, they try to add $12 for parking when you leave.
In the middle of nowhere to top it off. Definitely can't walk to anything.

Room Tip: Best rooms are at a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The room was said to be non-smoking, but it smelled terrible. It may have been general staleness and not smoke smell, but it was terrible either way.
The TV remote was so worn away that I couldn't even read what button did what.
The outlets were loose and protruding from the walls.
The bathroom sink took literally forever to drain. I washed my hands and it took at least 5 minutes. The trickling sound of the water as it attempted to drain was also very loud as it went on forever.
There were zero real pillows on the bed. There were about 5 tiny pillows stacked together, but not a single real pillow to sleep on. The bedding was also fairly gross.

In addition to the room issues, the person at the check-in desk said he could arrange a taxi to pick me up in the morning to go to the airport. The driver was on time in the morning, which was nice, but as I was getting into his car, I asked if he took credit card, assuming he would. He did not. Since he was my only option by that point, I had to have him drive through an ATM, which cost me $5 in ATM fees. Furthermore, he was not a sanctioned taxi driver, as I would expect when asking a hotel for a taxi. There was no meter in his car and he gave me an arbitrary (though expected) amount to pay when we arrived at the airport. He was a really nice guy and it worked out okay, but it was not how the situation should have been handled.

Room Tip: There are tracks behind the hotel, so stay away from that. Also, just stay away from the hotel unle...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Good value for the price, clean rooms and they gave a free breakfast as well.
The location is rough, nut they have a shuttle to and from Union station, so monuments and whitehouse are within walking distance.
We stayed an extra night because it allowed us to visit Washington on a budget.
Hotel staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Chose a room away from the train tracks, on the street side of the building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joe J
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel during the 4th of July rush. The hotel was sold out but the staff and services we received was outstanding. Got room service daily and if I call for fresh towels , it would arrive within minutes. Very well organized and managed. The manager Chirag Patel was very welcoming and took care of all our needs. I do visit DC for business purposes and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Misari P
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Comfort Inn on New York Avenue made my stay at Washington DC a wonderful one. The staff were amazing and friendly!!! they were very helpful and didn't get annoyed with all my questions!! The breakfast place was clean and well stocked and had food that everyone in my family would be satisfied with. Our room was very clean and spacious for my kids to enjoy. Also it had everything that we wanted and even more in the room. we stayed there on the 4th of July weekend and found that it was a very convenient location.

I would defiantly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Comfort Inn on New York Avenue was a great experience. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was very clean and spacious. The amenities were up to date and modern. It had everything that we expected and more in the room. The breakfast was clean and well stocked.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank honey2513
ahmedabad
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The problem was not that the staff were extremely uncooperative, rude, impolite and unbelievably mean ( i mean seriously like premeditated mean). The problem was also not that our room smelled like vomit all the time. The problem was also NOT that it is a million miles away from anything good in the city of Washington DC.

The biggest problem for me was the fact that despite booking MONTHS ago, when we arrived at the hotel after a long bus ride, back aches, extreme hunger and thirst, these guys made some silly excuse about "water leakage/ seepage" due to which apparently they had to shut down the whole of the 7th floor and this PROBLEM , miraculously disappeared within 24 hours of its start. The worst is yet to come- Their duty manager had the nerve to tell me that she had been "trying to get in touch". I mean dear GOD, how hard is it in the age of technology to get in touch with a person? EMAIL, TELEPHONE, TEXT!!!

a. Obviously they over booked and did not have the guts to look their guests squarely and simply own up to being careless and sloppy with their reservations.

b. They sent us to a sister concern hotel which was another 20 miles away from DC (we might as well have stayed in Baltimore for the night). Now this other comfort inn was WAYYYY BETTER but really far so we had to return to the sloppy comfort inn (which as i have mentioned smelled like vomit).

c. They did not even give us transport back to the city the next day and we had to spend quite a bit of cash for the ride back from ALMOST BALTIMORE to WASHINGTON DC. They grudgingly offered us a room upgrade but didn't matter because by then we were miffed, extremely inconvenienced and exasperated at the attitude of the staff.

All the restaurants/ other hotels we ate in while we stayed in DC gave bad reviews of this hotel.

I loved the city, I loved every single place I went to/ ate in and all the cab drivers I met.

But everything was ruined at the end of the day when I had to step in here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank dessert11
chipatel82, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
We sincerely apologize for your less than satisfactory stay with us. We pride ourselves on Customer Service, and will take your comments seriously to ensure customer satisfaction. We hope to retain your business in the future. Please feel free to contact at chirag.patel@axarmgmt.com for additional comments or concerns.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington DC
Days Inn Washington DC/Connectic...
#114 of 140 in Washington DC
Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
Kimpton Carlyle Hotel
#49 of 140 in Washington DC
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,004 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#109 of 140 in Washington DC
Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Georgetown Area
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC ...
#42 of 140 in Washington DC
Fairfield Inn & Suites Washingto...
#116 of 140 in Washington DC

Been to Quality Inn & Suites New York Avenue? Share your experiences!