“For business or pleasure, you can't go wrong...”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown
Ranked #68 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I travel quite a bit for business so I usually don't even bother reviewing business hotels but I have to comment on this property. I only stayed one night but I was quite impressed.

Room was a good size, newly renovated, and the front desk and valet car people were more than helpful. As for locations, pretty darn good as it's by the Verizon center, the Metro, Chinatown, etc. I had a sponsored marketing event about 8 blocks away so it worked out perfect.

Generally I stay in SPG properties (Sheraton, W, Westin, Aloft, etc) and while in DC I try to stay near Dupont Circle just cause there are many spots for a business traveler to walk to for a bite or glass of wine. I chose this property because I only needed one more stay to put me into SILVER status so I gambled. Let me tell you the gamble paid off.

There is an onsite Bar / Restaurant call the Irish Times. As an Irish American, I must say it's pretty authentic and the food wasn't half bad either. I don't know if I would hit it up if I wasn't staying at the hotel but it's great for onsite.

I totally forgot about breakfast the next morning and went I got to the lobby it was a great surprise. I made a cup of tea, grabbed a bannana, and a granola bar before I headed off to meetings in Baltimore. Perfect!

Bottom line - If you can get a good price on this hotel (I paid $150.00 I think) you can't go wrong. Otherwise try any Kimpton property in DC.

Room Tip: High Floor might get you a decent view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Crumz32

Reviewed 17 December 2012

Very close to the gallery place metro stop, as well as an abundance of food places, this is great spot for evening and night activities. The Irish pub and grill, connected to hotel, has good food, and lots of draught selections.

There are some problems with the Fairfield that cannot be easily fixed. As Other TripAdvisor reviewers have indicated, the rooms are small. The closet in the room I stayed in for six nights could not fit the width of a coat hanger because it is too shallow. When you're staying one night, it may be no big deal. When trying to keep clothes from wrinkling, it is cramped. Next, bring a white noise machine if you must stay at the Fairfield. Constant Noise from street (still loud on the tenth floor) and from adjacent rooms (even with towels put near gap below door).

The size of the bathrooms is compact. Fine for an average size American, traveling solo. Not so good if duet or more.

The FF staff are friendly, and there is a limited breakfast each morning.

If you're seeking a great breakfast place, go to the corner bakery next door. Their food and coffee are excellent.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NMRugger
Reviewed 10 December 2012 via mobile

The room was clean but the linens are getting old and need replacement . Breakfast was terrible there were no breads although I could see a toaster.. Wonder what that did there.. No omelettes. Hardly any choice.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Deepna
Reviewed 3 December 2012

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn for a weekend trip into DC for the Wizards home opener. The location is very commuter friendly, being only 2 blocks from the Chinatown-Gallery Place metro stop, which allowed us to park the car and take advantage of the metro for transportation (saving at least $30/night in parking). Our queen suite was clean and provided everything we needed except a refrigerator (e.g. sofa, desk, flat screen, etc.).

The central downtown location is also great for attending events and finding great restaurants. We were only 2 blocks away from the Verizon center and top notch restaurants ranging from American to Mexican to neighborhood bars are within reasonable walking distance (~4-6 blocks).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LisaPM1
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Breakfast was great and Jesse, the breakfast attendant, was fantastic!

Wish it were a bit closer to the Mall and that there were more chocolate chips cookies (we were stuck with oatmeal raisin) in the evenings.

Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available at all hours.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I stayed here 20+ weeks while working a long-term contract just a few blocks away.

The staff is excellent. From the breakfast servers to the front desk I have no complaints. The rate they offered my company also was great -- my client capped the hotel rate they'd pay at $250. This sounds like a lot, but this hotel is near conference, concert, and sports venues and depending on timing, prevailing rates can be much higher. The hotel offered me $250 or market, which ever was less.

The hotel was renovated in 2011 so furnishings are up-to-date. Chinatown/Gallery Place isn't necessarily my favorite DC neighborhood but it was great to stay just a couple blocks away from where I was working. DC has some awesome restaurants -- I'm not sure this area of town is the best that DC has to offer, but that said the choices are still very good. Note also you can get room service from the Irish pub with an entrance in the back of the hotel lobby.

Despite the name "Suites" most of the rooms in the hotel are much more like conventional hotel rooms. The rooms are clean and well furnished.

My gripe about this hotel is indoor air quality is not great. The modern windows are sealed tight. This was especially pronounced in the weeks after the place opened -- the fumes from the new carpet, etc. simply did not escape. I like the gym in the basement in terms of equipment, layout, etc. -- but the lack of ventilation is quite bad down there. Someone else might not even notice this issue, but if you stay regularly or are sensitive to smells, I'm sure you will. Perhaps the hotel can get some HVAC experts in to make some recommendations on improving airflow.

Room Tip: They have some very cool corner rooms. These have a interesting room layout, some extra amenities, a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We stayed here during our son's DC wedding. Very clean, newly remodeled, very attentive and courteous staff. Location is terrific, China Town metro stop right next to hotel. A great experience! Complimentary breakfast daily with good choices, and coffee available all day.

• Stayed: November 2012
Pod DC Hotel
#81 of 142 in Washington DC
Penn Quarter
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington ...
#85 of 142 in Washington DC
Mount Vernon Square
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC Convention Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#37 of 142 in Washington DC

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown? Share your experiences!