Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown
Ranked #71 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 1 January 2013

The only reason I am rating this hotel as poor is because we found bed bugs in our bed. My boyfriend & stayed in this hotel for a weekend in Dec 2012. On the second night I was scratching my arm. I didn't think anything of it because I am used to get destroyed by mosquitos nearly year-round, but the next morning my arms were itching all over. I had the tell-tale pattern of tight lines of bites all over my arms and stomach. When we were packing to leave, we found one bed bug in the sheets. The hotel was nice enough to comp us one night, but being two days later and covered in calamine lotion, one night is not enough for me. CHECK YOUR SHEETS.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TMF1987
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear guest,

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. We strive to provide a memorable stay to all of guests and I regret you experienced issues while staying with us. Please rest assured that our hotel follows strict guidelines and takes immediate action regarding this time of feedback. I do hope you will choose to stay with us in the future as I am confident our award winning hotel is an ideal choice for visitors coming to the Washington DC area. Please feel free to contact me directly at our property should you have any questions. Again, thank you for your comment.
Donavon McDaniel

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Felisha at front desk was so accommodating and friendly. The room was clean with great bed. Location in Chinatown. Was treated better here than at the j.w Marriott in d.c where the staff was condescending and rude! Stay here! Great price too and included breakfast and Free wifi!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karina D
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Took the family sightseeing in DC for the weekend and needed a place to crash. What we found was this well maintained, well appointed gem within walking distance of the mall, museums, monuments. Great restaurants in the neighborhood. Staff could not have been nicer and the free breakfast each morning was icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Try Matchbox for great burgers and beer. Right down the street.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dwg30039
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I have stayed at this chain before in other cities, but this one in the heart of China town Washington D.C. was most impressive! Beautiful appointed rooms, with great thread count sheets! The room was spotless, and looked as if I were the first to have ever stayed in it! ! A great breakfast every morning with a large selection even for someone on a gluten free diet! Great price per night, and a very helpful and friendly staff!!! I truly would recommend this hotel for business and pleasure! The location too is a short distance to the Mall and the metro is just a block or two from the front door!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JohninGRR
Reviewed 24 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed over this weekend and I had a great time.Washington DC is a beautiful city an the hotel is located walking distance to all the major attractions. The hotels looked brand new. My husband and I loved the community table in the breakfast room. Rooms were big. Staff was nice and pleasant. Compliments! We will be back again.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank JRC0722
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I travel quite a bit for business so I usually don't even bother reviewing business hotels but I have to comment on this property. I only stayed one night but I was quite impressed.

Room was a good size, newly renovated, and the front desk and valet car people were more than helpful. As for locations, pretty darn good as it's by the Verizon center, the Metro, Chinatown, etc. I had a sponsored marketing event about 8 blocks away so it worked out perfect.

Generally I stay in SPG properties (Sheraton, W, Westin, Aloft, etc) and while in DC I try to stay near Dupont Circle just cause there are many spots for a business traveler to walk to for a bite or glass of wine. I chose this property because I only needed one more stay to put me into SILVER status so I gambled. Let me tell you the gamble paid off.

There is an onsite Bar / Restaurant call the Irish Times. As an Irish American, I must say it's pretty authentic and the food wasn't half bad either. I don't know if I would hit it up if I wasn't staying at the hotel but it's great for onsite.

I totally forgot about breakfast the next morning and went I got to the lobby it was a great surprise. I made a cup of tea, grabbed a bannana, and a granola bar before I headed off to meetings in Baltimore. Perfect!

Bottom line - If you can get a good price on this hotel (I paid $150.00 I think) you can't go wrong. Otherwise try any Kimpton property in DC.

Room Tip: High Floor might get you a decent view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Crumz32
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Very close to the gallery place metro stop, as well as an abundance of food places, this is great spot for evening and night activities. The Irish pub and grill, connected to hotel, has good food, and lots of draught selections.

There are some problems with the Fairfield that cannot be easily fixed. As Other TripAdvisor reviewers have indicated, the rooms are small. The closet in the room I stayed in for six nights could not fit the width of a coat hanger because it is too shallow. When you're staying one night, it may be no big deal. When trying to keep clothes from wrinkling, it is cramped. Next, bring a white noise machine if you must stay at the Fairfield. Constant Noise from street (still loud on the tenth floor) and from adjacent rooms (even with towels put near gap below door).

The size of the bathrooms is compact. Fine for an average size American, traveling solo. Not so good if duet or more.

The FF staff are friendly, and there is a limited breakfast each morning.

If you're seeking a great breakfast place, go to the corner bakery next door. Their food and coffee are excellent.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Pod DC Hotel
#51 of 141 in Washington DC
Mount Vernon Square
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washington DC Convention Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Washin...
#34 of 141 in Washington DC
Penn Quarter
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington DC
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Washington ...
#90 of 141 in Washington DC

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown? Share your experiences!