“A great deal for a solid hotel”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown
Ranked #62 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Vancouver, Canada
“A great deal for a solid hotel”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Got a super rate by staying over the weekend. First visit to Washington and more than satisfied with our stay.

Hotel is walkable from Union Station and located right by Chinatown.

Check in was quick with friendly staff. Room was average size with 2 queen beds (comfortable), desk, small closet, and good-sized bathroom, but no full length mirror, microwave/fridge, or chair other than desk chair. Ventilation system was quiet, lots of outlets are provided, and wifi was good. Decor of room and hotel itself definitely asian inspired, but makes sense given its location.

Complimentary hot breakfast is provided and is more than sufficient. Lots of hot and cold items including hot porridge/oatmeal, yogurts, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, lots of fresh fruit (apples, bananas, and fruit salad), muffins, waffles, and all the fixings. Staff were always working hard at making sure everything was well supplied. Very substantial in that we often didn't need to eat again until dinner! And the lobby offers 24 hr coffee/tea/hot chocolate/ice water, which was an added bonus.

Location of hotel is very convenient to walking to all the sites in the National Mall, the White House, the Verizon Centre, Chinatown, and other downtown sites. The subway is also conveniently located a few blocks away. Neighbourhood felt safe for the most part, but there are street people and panhandlers around which may make some feel a little uneasy.

All in all, a solid choice for visiting this city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear ScreamingBanshee,

Thank you for staying at our hotel!

We appreciate your feedback. It's always great for us to be able to share such valuable information shared by our guests. We are happy to hear that our hotel was a great fit for you on your visit. We love our location and being so close to so many top restaurants and attractions in our Nation's Capital.

Ryan Urgo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Czech first
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My teenage daughter and I stayed here for 1 night as we were in town to see Justin Bieber at the Verizon Center. It was a perfect location!! Walking distance to the concert, great restaraunt (chinatown) and other venues. The Madame Toussant's Wax Museum, The Spy Musem, Ford Theater and so many other attractions. The neighborhood gelt safe and the hotel was very comfortable. The staff was very friendly as well.

The only issue I had was the parking. Their is valet parking at the hotel for I believe $30/day but when I arrived to chek in the lot was full and I was given other parking options...not the most convenient but worked, well it had to.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and will definitely book again the next time I am in DC!

Room Tip: Higher floor are the best, great view!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jaime S
Dear Jaime S,

Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

We are always so grateful when our valued guests share their feedback with us. We're happy to hear that our location was a perfect fit for your visit.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This hotel is a gem in a great location. It is very close to the Hockey Arena, and I could see crowds for sporting events making access tricky if you chose to drive in to the Valet Parking. Walking distance to the convention center, Chinatown, National Archives and the Metro-great location. There are only two problems: If a big convention is in town, supply/demand will lead to some high room rates at all of the hotels in the area. A room can cost upward of $ 319 a night + tax if a convention is in town. Secondly, there is a homelss shelter in the neighborhood, so there are panhandlers and street people in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LVWanderer
Dear Jeff H,

Thank you for staying at our property and sharing your feedback with us!

We love being so close to the Verizon Center, Convention Center and so many wonderful restaurants, sites and attractions in and around Chinatown.

Thanks for recognizing our front desk team and concierge as it is always so rewarding for our team to hear from our guests.

Michigan
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We were going to D.C. for 3 nights and planned to see a hockey game, a football game, and enjoy some of the monuments. I selected this hotel based on its location and reviews. It was a good choice. We asked for a quiet room and received one. The included breakfast each morning was far more than I expected. There were MANY fine restaurants within a few blocks, and also a metro stop about a 5 minute walk away that could get you to many places. When we return to D.C., we will try to again stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room away from elevators and ice machines. We were given room 1001. It had no...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank teachermanMichigan
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear teachermanMichigan,

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and value your business. We are fortunate to be in a great part of Washington, DC with so many of the top attractions, restaurants and sites so close by.

Please reach out to me directly for any future reservation needs as we would love to host you again on your next visit to the Nation's Capital.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel when our "usual" hotel was full. We actually like this hotel better in terms of location...right in Chinatown it is close by to many restaurants and establishments to have a libation. I'm not a frequent visitor of the Marriott chain of hotels, but this hotel has caused me to reconsider this as a very viable option. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. They have a free hot breakfast, it's not the best, but it's not the worst, either. I do have to say though, they could use a better coffee and definitely a better coffeemaker in the rooms. The rooms were clean and large enough. The website said the rooms were renovated in 2011 but the mattress was either older or just had a little use. Don't get me wrong, it was still very comfortable, but did have some wear to it.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again, especially do the location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BfloChik
Dear BfloChik,

Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC. We are happy to hear that you had a great experience at our hotel and that the location was a great fit for you. Our hotel team is always so proud to receive such great feedback on the service they deliver.

We hope to be able to host you again on your next visit, and please feel free to reach out to me directly for any future reservation needs.

P-town
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights to reunite with a friend and see my daughter play a college soccer tournament at Catholic University. I knew I would not have transportation so I relied on this hotel to be convenient for me arriving in Dulles Int'l which is was definitely. I flew in the night before to Dulles and chose to stay overnight at the Dulles version of this hotel.

From Dulles Airport, I called the hotel notifying them of my early pending arrival. I then waited in the transportation area at Dulles for a Metro City Bus #5A. It was easily identifiable and I had my $6 cash ready for exact change on the bus. I hopped on the bus with many other travelers and got off at L'Enfant Plaza. From there, I walked up the stairs for the building marked M for METRO center. I then took the yellow line to Gallery Place Chinatown Metro Station (which I paid $2.70 for on the electronic ticket booth - did not need exact change, but it helped). I hopped on the Metro and got off at Gallery Place (Chinatown) which was clearly marked. I then exited the station and walked a brief walk to the hotel.

The Chinatown area was full of character and felt very safe with LOTS of eating options (more than just Chinese, but the Chinese was good).

Upon arrival at the hotel, I was charmed by it's appearance. The outside is very clean and easily visible from my walk from the Metro. There is a valet out front if you need to park (which is $33/day). The lobby was great with a lovely Asian theme. The breakfast area is right in the lobby area with lots of seating, a big screen TV, lounging areas and 2 computers you can use (which I did to print out my plane tickets and check email, etc). I easily checked in early and was very happy with my lovely room with 2 queen beds. They offer lots of soft pillows and everything was very clean. Great!

The concierge is next to the check in desk and they were very helpful with suggestions and giving us driving directions to our destinations.

The free breakfast was GREAT with lots of options including juice, teas, coffees, eggs (scrambled and boiled), breakfast meat, lots of bread options, fruit, cereal, make-your-own waffles, yogurt and MORE. I was impressed as you never know what you will get for free breakfast. The breakfast attendants were very busy keeping things stocked and very pleasant.

I would highly recommend this place and we got a terrific price (it was even cancellable).

Great establishment in convenient and fun location with excellent service!

Room Tip: If you like the ice maker on your floor, there is one on 3rd floor. You need your key to go up and d...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Joanna K,

Thank you so much for your response. We are delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy the excellent amenities that our hotel is able to offer. We love our location in Chinatown and being so close to all the wonderful restaurants, sites and attractions in our Nation's Capital.
It's a pleasure to share such great feedback with our hotel team.

We look forward to hosting you on your future travels to Washington, DC.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

This hotel is conveniently located to the national mall and other DC attractions. It is also in one of the nicest Chinatowns I've ever been to. It is conveniently located near the metro rail for direct access to Nationals Park (the green line). The staff was very helpful and accommodating, especially when our plans changed very suddenly. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Diana2626,

Thank you for staying with us!

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that we were a great fit location and amenity wise. We love our location in Chinatown and being so close to so many top attractions in our Nation's Capital.
I'm excited to hear that our team was helpful and able to accommodate your request.

Please come see us again as we will be thrilled to host you on your future visits.