“Jonathan is the nicest concierge ever!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown
Ranked #67 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Miami, Florida, United States
“Jonathan is the nicest concierge ever!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We had a very nice stay here last weekend. We are new to DC and weren't very familiar with the area so we're sure glad we had Jonathan at the front (literally, he was ALWAYS at the front desk. Does he sleep?) I'm pretty sure he would have walked us to the Metro line if we needed it, he was that accommodating. He is what true service looks like: when you ask a question he doesn't tell you, he SHOWS you. Anyway, he's lovely. 'nuff said. So, the hotel is extremely easy to get to if you are driving from the north. It's just off the highway and near the 395 entrance. There's just a one block walk to the Metro and a slew of shops. If you are going to any events at the Staples Center, you literally could not stay any closer. And the mall adjacent to the staples center has 24 hour parking, so for 24 hours we paid only $16! Kind of a bargain. I know the hotel offers valet but there wasn't a valet person standing out there when we arrived so we just looped around to the parking garage. This is in the Asian area of town which means great food and lots of life and culture. You're a short walk to the nearby Dc attractions too. The hotel was clean and modern. There is a free breakfast which probably could have used more fresh items, but I enjoyed my waffles covered in strawberries just the same. We would stay here again as it was convenient to the theatre area, updated and reasonable priced.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Cassandra S,

Thank you so much for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC Convention Center.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience here. It's always so rewarding for our team to hear such great feedback and in this case I was thrilled to share your compliments with Jonathan. He was so grateful and excited! Excellent customer service is was we strive for here. We are very proud of our team, hotel and proximity to all that is our Nation's Capital.

Please do join us on your next trip and continue to recommend us!

Regards,

Ryan Urgo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Czech first
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was my second time staying at this hotel: the first was with my girlfriends, and we had a double room. This time I was with my significant other, and we had a king room. Once again, arrival was a breeze...checked in quickly, valet took the car, and staff was very friendly. Our room was a bit small...usually there is a hallway between the bathroom and the actual room. In this case, the bathroom opened up right into the room by the bed. That could be a bit uncomfortable if you don't know someone well, as there is really very little privacy. Our room had windows on two sides though. One looking into an office building, but the other looked out onto the street, which we enjoyed.

The hotel is super close to a lot of things. You're two blocks from the Gallery Place metro station, the Verizon center, and lots of restaurants. We walked to the mall and the white house from the hotel, and while it's not a short walk, it was nice. There are several museums right around that area too, so if you'd like something other than the museums on the mall, they're right there.

Everyone was very friendly during both checkout and checkin, as well as those we saw in the hallways cleaning. There were only two things that kept this from being a perfect score (aside from the room layout, as mentioned above). The first was the noise. I'm not bothered by "city" noise, and I didn't mind hearing cars from our room. However, the soundproofing is not very good. The first night, I woke up at 3:00 in the morning when our neighbors across the hall returned. We could hear their entire conversation, and doors slamming very loudly. Also, I knew exactly when our neighbors were in the shower or in the bathroom. The second issue is not something I know how the hotel would even take care of, so this is more of a heads up than a criticism. There are a number of homeless in the area, and yesterday there were two incidences right outside of the hotel that caused some concern. The first was a man right up the street yelling sexually vulgar things as he crossed the street. Then, he proceeded to stop in the middle and drop his pants and underwear and stand there, flashing anyone walking towards the hotel. The second incident happened as we were leaving. We'd called to have our car brought around, and it was waiting, locked, out front for us. However, the valet had gone to get another car (I assume), and was not there to give us our keys. While we waited for him to return, two homeless men got into a verbal altercation right in front of the hotel. One then continuously asked my friend and I if we had a cell phone he could use while the other shouted obscenities at him. I don't spook easily, but I was very uncomfortable with the entire situation. We couldn't get into our car to leave, and the men were blocking our way to get back into the hotel. When the valet returned, he apologized for it and his interaction with the homeless men implied that it wasn't the first time they'd been hanging around the front of the hotel. The valet was completely professional and nice about the situation, but again, these two incidents, while not the hotel's fault, would probably keep me from staying here with my young children.

Maryland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The staff was great. All appeared to really like their jobs. The location is great being steps from Chinatown and the Verizon Center - an area filled with restaurants and bars. The breakfast was good as well. Fro scrambled eggs to waffles. The rooms were clean and modern. They were a little noisy. This is a very good choice if you are headed to DC for a weekend stay. We were also able to park on the street -6th St. where it is metered until 10PM and then free through Sunday night.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 8th floor but still heard city noises. So there is a 9th and 10th that may be bette...
Dear MarylandMdtravel,

Thank you for staying with us!

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that we were a great fit location and amenity wise. We love our location in Chinatown and being so close to so many top attractions in our Nation's Capital. I'm excited to hear that our team was great!

Please come see us again as we will be thrilled to host you on your future visits.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The hotel is renovated with attractive carpet and wallpaper. It has a nice vibe. There is coffee available in the lobby all hours. The staff was friendly.

Our only issue was poor valet service. We were told that once we called our car would be ready in "2 minutes". It took nearly 25 minutes.

The "closet" is miniscule, plan accordingly!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Living_Overseas,

Thank you for staying with us!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our amenities and our friendly staff. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We apologize for the delay with valet and that the closet wasn't a right fit for you. We would love to have the opportunity to host you on all of your future visits.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for future reservation needs and I will make sure you are all set with parking as well.

Oakland, California, USA
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I booked this property somewhat reluctantly, as I associate Fairfield as Marriott's lowest-end brand. But, it's location was just two blocks from my meetings in town, so after seeing so many positive reviews, I decided to give it a shot -- and am I glad I did! For a budget hotel in a big city, this hotel is an incredible value. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient, the whole property was clean and the guest rooms were as well-appointed as any other business hotel (at-par with any Courtyard or even most "full" Marriott properties). I'm not a breakfast eater, but I was amazed to find that the "enhanced continental breakfast" actually included eggs, bacon/sausage and waffles -- in addition to the usual "continental" breakfast items such as pastries and fruit. Free coffee and tea was available throughout the day in the comfortable (albeit small) lobby. The hotel's location two blocks from Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro (and a short but decent walk to Union Station) make it convenient but also unique, as there aren't as many hotels east of 7th in that part of town. When I return for future meetings in this part of town, the Fairfield Inn & Suites will be my first choice (assuming it continues to be priced at such a tremendous value).

Room Tip: A dinging sound can be heard easily inside rooms close to the elevator banks (even when the elevator...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sww326
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear sww326,

Thank you for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

We are so grateful when our guests provide us with such valuable feedback. It's always a pleasure to be able to share our guests experience with our team members. We strive to deliver exceptional service and ensure our guests have a wonderful experience. It's always so rewarding to be able to recognize our team for a job well done.

We hope to be able to host you again on your future visits to the city. Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any future reservation needs.

Secaucus, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Very good for a lower end hotel: 2 blocks from the Metro, walking distance to all the Smithsonian museums and lots of restaurants. My only issues were with the "closet" that was 1' x 2' with a fixture to hold a iron and an ironing board. If your staying more than a couple of nights (we stayed 5 during a school break) and it's chilly so you've brought some coats/jackets for 3, it's more than a bit tight. Also, for all the taller folks out there, the shower head is at about 6' (I'm 6' 4") and you need to duck to rinse the shampoo out of your hair. The shorter folks will still get hit with the water is it was raised a few inches. The gentleman at the concierge (I think his name was Andre) was very friendly and helpful in reviewing the restaurant selections I had made prior to arriving.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jersey_Doug,

Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC.

We're happy to hear that our hotel was a good fit for you on your travels to DC. We love our location in Chinatown and being so close to so many wonderful restaurants, sites and attractions. I am glad that the Concierge was helpful. More importantly, I apologize that the closet space and shower height did not meet your needs.

We hope to be able to host you on your future travels to the city. Please feel free to reach out to me directly for future reservation needs.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I have stayed here several times before and usually have a decent experience. This time I was given a room on the street side and it was INCREDIBLY noisy. I stayed for a week and didn't get a decent nights sleep the whole time. It seemed there was always a police car screeching by or partiers from the Irish pub below. The hotel itself was clean and staff helpful. I found the concierge(s) to try hard, but not always be familiar with the immediate area because they are rotating from other Marriot's in the District. Better than average breakfast with a very friendly and helpful breakfast attendee. If you stay here, be sure to bring your earplugs!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank cdptraveler
Dear cdptraveler,

Thank you so much for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC/Dowtown.

We're happy to hear that you have stayed with us before. I am glad that the breakfast was able to meet your expectations and that our staff was friendly and helpful. I do however, apologize greatly for the noise. As there are many advantages to our central downtown location in the city, there are also some down falls, and street noise is unfortunately one.

I hope you will give us another chance when returning to DC.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any future reservation needs.

Regards,