“My room reeks of cigarette smoke”

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown
Ranked #63 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Toledo, Ohio
“My room reeks of cigarette smoke”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Room is very tiny and reeks of cigarette smoke. Front desk says they are filled so I can't move. They say the cigarette smoke smell is not possible. Restaurant is attached and was ok. I wish I had stayed elsewhere. Cost is $300 per night, so does not seem worth it. Internet is working ok.

Room Tip: find somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ScubadiverNskiier
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear ScubadiverNskiier,

Thank you for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC!

We appreciate your valuable feedback. We strive to deliver an exceptional experience for all of our guests and I'm sorry to hear that we fell short of those expectations. I would love an opportunity to discuss this further if you are able to reach me directly at the hotel.

Ryan Urgo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Czech first
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The newly renovated hotel was vewry comfortable. The astonishing part of my stay was the concierge, Jonathan Bell. I have never had such amazing help. My car was brought around while I asked about my I Phone. I very much needed to use it but needed settings and lessons. Jonathan Bell took me in hand and gave me expert advice that took over two hours, while my car was taken care of by the parking folks at no extra fee. I needed an ATT store and was esorted there with no hesitation. The concierge put well recommended restaurants on my I Phone for future reference and generally helped me with very warm responses to my needs. This is a small hotel with great sense of oldtime services not so common these days. I plan to make it my D.C. favorite choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheppard K
Dear Sheppard K,

Thank you for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC!

We are so happy to hear that you had a great experience at our hotel. Thank you for recognizing Jonathan Bell for delivering exceptional service during your visit. It is so rewarding for us to be able to share such wonderful feedback with our team.

We hope to be able to host you on your next visit to our Nation's Capital and I would love to take care of your reservations personally so please feel free to reach out directly.

Georgetown
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed here 1 night pre conference and was very pleased with the location and quality of my room. Comfy beds and nice bathroom made for a great stay. The location is just on the edge of Chinatown in DC and within walking distance of several good restaurants. We ate at the MatchBox down the street and it had excellent pizza. My conference was at the Hyatt so I only got to stay 1 night, but I'd recommend this property to anyone coming to DC.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mickir
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear mickir,

Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC Chinatown!

We appreciate your feedback and are happy we were able to host you for one night prior to your Convention. Our location is excellent and we're thrilled to hear that you felt the same way. There are so many wonderful dining options, sites and attractions within walking distance and I'm happy to hear you were able to enjoy one of them at Matchbox!

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for your next reservation in DC!

Greater Manchester
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Fabulous small hotel, clean, comfortable and spacious bedrooms. Stayed 9 Feb until 12th Feb 2014, the hotel is in an excellent location for exploring Washington and its glorious sights. The breakfast provided was delicious, providing the most delicious scrambled eggs I have ever had, muffins, fresh fruit salad, an array of fresh breads and the opportunity to cook your own waffles and more!!
The location is ideal to sample all the local restaurants, and its own little Irish bar attached had great character.
A wonderful stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank nanat14
Dear nanat14,

Thank you for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC!

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that our hotel was a perfect fit for your visit to DC. Our location is excellent and we're thrilled to hear that you felt the same way. Thanks for commenting on our breakfast as it's always great for me to be able to share our guests thoughts with our team.

We hope to be able to host you on your future travels to our Nation's Capital!

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed here for a one night overnight after a Capitals game. Location is great, a few block walk to all the restaurants and right around the corner from Verizon Center. Has a pub in the building which is good too for drinks and late night food.

Valet parking worked fine but ended up being a little pricey with the final calculated cost plus taxes/tip. Next time would definitely just park in one of the garages around the corner for a flat fee.

Room was fairly spacious although dark, nice long desk to put junk on, but no mini fridge which would be essential for us on a longer stay. It was fine for one night though.

Offers free breakfast but we took one look at the crowd and opted out. Didn't have time to check out the fitness center/etc. but good location to go for an outdoor run downtown (easy access to the national mall).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adrd
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear adrd,

Thank you very much for staying at our Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC!

We appreciate your business and your feedback. I'm happy to hear that our location was the perfect fit for your visit to the Verizon Center for the Caps game. I'm sorry to hear that our breakfast was very busy during the time that you would have liked to eat, and I hope you have a chance to enjoy our excellent breakfast on a future visit.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly as I would love to make your next reservation for a visit to DC!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed here for two nights for work in October 2013. The place was a little difficult to find because their front entrance is kind of small, but it's a very urban center and when you walk in you can tell you're at a very well rated Marriott. There is tight security (it is DC), VERY nice staff who remembered my name during my entire stay there, one of the best complimentary breakfasts I have ever had along with constantly stocked coffee and flavored water. I have stayed many places where in the afternoon the coffee is stale or empty, so I really appreciate how clean and well kept the central area was. The location is excellent - only a few blocks from all of the most famous DC monuments, but at the same time you're just a little bit off the beaten path in the heart of a wonderful old Chinatown district with some amazing food. Chinatown has been highly gentrified in that area so many of the old Chinatown restaurants have been replaced by chain coffee places but you can still get terrific Chinese food or Pho. It's near downtown so it's busy day and night and during the weekdays so there wasn't ever a point that I felt uncomfortable walking alone - this is a thing in DC first-time visitors. Make sure you're somewhere safe.

The only caveat I would say is that I'm a young, working professional and this hotel was paid for by my employer, so I wouldn't have been able to afford to stay here normally, as the price is quite spendy due to the high rating of the hotel, the high quality of the hotel, and the really great location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Vanessa L
Dear Vanessa L,

Thank you for staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Washington, DC!

We appreciate your business and valuable feedback regarding your stay. It's a pleasure for us to be able to share such tremendous comments with our team. I'm happy to hear that we provided excellent service and that our location was a great fit for you. We love being in Chinatown and so close to all the top sites and attractions of our Nation's Capital.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any future reservation needs.

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Very clean, within close proximity to numerous amenities. Service was great and pub located downstairs had excellent food and service as well. This is definitely my hotel of choice when staying in the DC area.

• Stayed October 2013
wasfc, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Washington, DC/Downtown, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear otads,

Thanks for staying at our hotel! We love hearing that you felt our hotel was very clean and in a great location. It's great to hear that we were able to meet or exceed your expectations with the service our hotel and restaurant teams provided.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly for future reservation needs.

Regards,