“A great place to stay”

Club Quarters Hotel in Washington, D.C.
Ranked #95 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Sydney, Australia
“A great place to stay”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We chose to stay at this hotel as it was essentially walking distance to the places we wanted to see and very handy to Farragut West metro – literally on the corner when we walked out of our hotel.

We had arrived in DC from NY where we had a junior suite so to us, the room felt a little on the small side … but it probably wasn’t – it was just a standard size room.

Our room was nicely decorated in brown tones and the bathroom was a reasonable size with sufficient shelving for our bathroom items.

We had a desk area and a large flat screen TV and a small bar fridge. We had tea and coffee making facilities however the coffee maker had the taste of coffee imbedded in it so we got away with heating up the water for our tea in the microwave. And great news – we had a small bar fridge.

The are a couple of extras that Club Quarters provides which is a nice touch. Free WiFi throughout the hotel and also on each floor, there is a water fountain with chilled purified water and empty plastic bottles (around 600ml) with caps to get bottled water.

On the 2nd floor there is a Club Lounge where guests can go to relax, read the paper, watch TV and make tea and coffee or order snacks / food. Guests can also use one of the two computers here and print boarding passes or other items free of charge – a great help to travellers and a great inclusion for a hotel.

This Club Room is sometimes not available as it is adjacent to small conference facilities that are used by presumably outside organizations doing business in DC.

Across the road is a bakery and a sit down café and a couple of blocks away, several restaurants. Also nearby and past the park are a myriad of shops and a pharmacy (CVS) as well as Starbucks etc.

The Metro station – Farragut West is very handy with access via escalators and easy transfer at Metro Center to other lines.

If you arrive in DC by train at Union Station, unless you have a ton a luggage your cheapest and possibly the quickest option (to avoid the long line at Union Station waiting for a taxi) would be to take the metro to Farragut West. A taxi from Union Station to the hotel cost us around $11 + tip.

The other good thing about having Farragut West so close by is that if you need to get to Dulles airport, catch the metro at this station towards Vienna and alight at West Church Falls, then catch the Washington Flyer bus to Dulles airport. The metro fare in peak times will be around $4 and the Washington Flyer is $10 – pay at the airport. This was very quick and easy and the only effort was dragging our cases which wasn’t too much effort at all.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were given one away from the elevator - the trade off is there is no v...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DougoOz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
nyc
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Stayed one night. Location could not be better ... near the sites, close to train stations, close to good restaurants and good breakfast spots. Hotel has a very nice "living room" with computers, tv's - a nice place to relax. There's free coffee & tea & free bottled water - a nice touch! Rooms are small but fairly clean. One slight complaint is that the blanket had a satin cover and it slid off the bed all night. Also, the towels were a bit stained and a bit ragged - time to buy some new linens! The restaurant below the hotel "Cafe Soleil" is fantastic - great happy hour and wonderful dinners!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2012

they staff and location were amazing. Jorge in the cafe was top notch by all standards. the room while not very large were perfect considering the location. you could walk to everywhere you needed. and the hotel was on top of the Farragut West Station. which is only a few stops away from DCA airport. i would highly recommend staying here if you have the means

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We have stayed at a Club Quarters once before (In Philly) so we knew what to expect with the smaller room size but excellent location. This time did not disappoint. We flew in from Westchester, NY and it was so easy to take the metro from the airport to the hotel. Location was perfect, 2 blocks from the White House and 1 block from the Metro. We walked everywhere. Probably 15-20 minutes from the National Mall/Monument.

We loved the free water bottle/water service on every floor and also the free wifi and ability to print our boarding passes. Perks that did not go unnoticed. We got in early and were able to check in early. Upon check out, we were told there was an early check in fee that we were not told about but they took the charge away without question immediately. Great service.

Overall, we will definitely stay here again. Inexpensive and perfect location. Highly recommend it. And if you haven't been to DC over Memorial Day weekend, definitely worth a visit then. Very patriotic!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank habibah1
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2012

There was little parking in the front considering it was Connecticut avenue. The parking lot was located 1 block away, which was a bit of a pain and wasn’t cheap. $12.50 a day. We unloaded our bags on the corner. Dad proceeded to check-in while I parked the car. We were assigned to room 806 (ITEM 1) which was located right on the corner of Connecticut and I. There was complimentary filtered water located in the hallway (no ice machine) with empty bottles which you could fill yourself. The room itself was appropriate for 3 people. The water pressure on the shower was deficient. The cleaning service was not up to par, a huge amount of dust left on the surfaces of the furniture. The rooms exterior location proved to be problematic at night. Located down the block on I street was a nightclub which caused several problems; one was the very loud music, another problem was the amount of traffic and notorious beeping horns, and finally the crowd of screaming twenty somethings that carried on throughout the night into the morning. Also the pullout bed was a very thin and uncomfortable mattress making sleep a dream. A member of my party was awakened at 4 a.m. by the aforementioned and proceeded down to the front desk to lodge a complaint. He was snickered at by hotel staff. All of these ongoings were contrary to reviews. Needless to say, I will not be giving this place a good review. Certain things were beyond their control, but the ones that were, were mishandled. Another example of the decline of the service and hospitality industry. I guess $200,000 in student debt and a MFA are making hotel clerks cranky. Decline of national and occupational pride in the nation’s capital. Very disappointing indeed. Especially in mind that this hotel was meant to host business guests. The location is awesome, literally on top of Farragut West (Orange and Blue). If you stay here, make sure you ask for an interior room.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an interior room!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dylan T
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Charming hotel centrally located right next to the White House. Easy to find food and bars any time day or night. Subway stop is downstairs. The place is quiet, staff is nice. French bistro on the ground floor was excellent, big portions, and reasonably priced (try the tuna). Our AC went out in our room and they moved us within 15 minutes. It was 1am. Could not have been happier. Maybe not a great place for families, but it is ideal for couples.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I was booking my hotel reservations on my company's corp page when I realized I hit the enter button too soon. I booked the reservation BUT for the wrong check in date. It went through, and I immediately called CQ to see if they could help me since I just booked the reservation. Well, my check in time was less than 24 hours therefore their strict policy is to charge you for that night even though I was going to be staying the next night. Even though my company usually has a good rate with CQ I was paying over $200/night (I am assuming due to the fact I booked the reservation so late). The person I spoke with was not very helpful or friendly. His attitude really turned me off to CQ therefore I just canceled the whole reservation. I understand the cancelation policy but this customer service person could careless that I was losing over $200 and really did not care to work with me on this reservation. I asked for him to send me an email receipt which all he sent me was an email showing I canceled. I had to call back three times to finally get an email receipt.

This really disappoints me for many different reasons. I have used other CQ's in the past without ever having issues, I have referred many of my colleagues to CQ's and they did not have any issues. It just seems that maybe it is the Washington DC location that has really terrible customer service. I plan to write an email to my company's corp travel group and make a complaint to them, and I will always tell my colleagues NOT to use any of the CQs. It is not worth the hassle and headache that I experienced today. I went back online and found another hotel that I have a strong relationship with, and they took care of me. I should have booked with them in the first place.

Room Tip: Do not book here!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business