“Loved this place”

Club Quarters Hotel in Washington, D.C.
Ranked #97 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 17 February 2009

This is a wonderful hotel with a European flair. The halls were a bit narrow. But the rooms were delightfully warm and comfortable. The restaurant had a menu that was simple and unpretentious while also playing to the obvious strengths of a very good chef. The wine list was not extensive but was well mated to the menu. The staff was friendly and efficient and professional. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed 12 February 2009

I will never stay here again for the following reasons:

1) Reserved a non-smoking room and was given a smoking room. After complaining (nicely) for a long time a non-smoking room was "found" for me. When I reached the room, a bell-man was removing someone else's bags! I hope the guy that got kicked out was okay.

2) Internet was broken during my stay

3) Sink flooded all over the bathroom floor

4) No iron in the room - the first iron that was brought up for me was broken. A replacement iron was brought up 30 minutes later where I was asked if I new how an iron worked...

5) Room service food (a salad) was delivered without fork/spoon/knife. Another 20 minutes went by and then I got my flatware. Food was cold by that point.

6) Located next to Farragut West stop, but that entrance isn't open all day so it is actually deceiving. Most of the dining options nearby close around 5pm so the location isn't as great as advertised.

This time of year there are plenty other places for similar prices that have been better.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I made a booking for 2 rooms/2 nights for a "3.5 star hotel" through Hotwire for myself and a colleague for September 4-6, 2008 for Washington, DC . It turned out to be an embarrassing disaster. I disputed the charge through my Citi Card Mastercard based on the hotel category being grossly misrepresented. It was nowhere near a Crowne Plaza or Hilton as was used for comparison on their booking site: "Our 3.5-star hotels include: Hilton, Millennium, Crowne Plaza, and other respected hotel brands". It was possibly a 2.5 star using that comparison - if an American hotel rating system could even be applied to it since it is not a branded hotel.

The accommodation we were booked for was not a traditional hotel, but rather a members' club called Club Quarters. It was a tiny, obsure, difficult to locate place with no parking near the property and no legal loading/unloading area nearby. No one in the nearby area knew of it or could help us find it. Their contracted parking garage was two and a half blocks away. The lobby was almost non-existent (really just a desk in an entry hall); both of our rooms were very small; there was no dresser; a carry-on size suitcase would not fit in the tiny closet; the bathroom was the size of an airplane lavatory with a small shower, the amenity of coffee and tea service was not availabe on weekends and the tea water was cold on the weekday morning that I visited the lounge; my room key malfunctioned on both days of my stay and I had to go to the lobby to have it reissued (I was told it happens all the time); the halls were very narrow - like those leading to the sleeping compartments on trains; and the list goes on and on.

Because of scheduled events starting soon after our late afternoon check-in, the earliest I could contact Hotwire to discuss this situation was about 5 AM the next morning before starting the day. The reply was "someone will contact you within the next 7-10 days. No one ever did, although I contacted Hotwire again after returning home with no more success than the first time.

I've traveled extensively and feel very strongly that this rating by Hotwire of 3.5 is a clear case of misrepresentation by any stretch of the imagination.

We paid $129 per room. We could have done better using our discounts at a name brand hotel if we had known what we would be getting for our money.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank cascorn
Reviewed 26 November 2008

this was a great hotel, very nice, room was fairly large even though it was a single (especailly when compared to other rooms we stayed in in the USA) we had a microwave, fridge, tea/coffee facilities, phone, tv in our room. the ensuite was small but very clean and reasonably new looking. the bed was great. the room was nicely done, and the housekeeping service was fantastic. laundry service was very expensive though. the complimentary bottled water on each floor was great. also they have a guest cuboard on each floor where we could help ourselves to more linen, and tea/coffee supplies. the club room was great, free computer/ internet use was available which was really good because thats usually a rarity in the states. they also have a fitness room (very small though) the staff were friendly and helpful. room service was reasonably priced and efficient. we got a good rate through hotels.com of
$112 US a night inclusive of taxes which was fantastic because it was at least $150 a night cheaper than anything else available . the location of the hotel was very conveniant to the metro station and to various sightseeing options like the white house. its also in a very safe area. we would highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Stayed here the evening of October 21 visiting a local firm who maintains Club membership. My rate was $184 which was about $100 cheaper than anything else around that evening. Exit the Metro station Farragut Square West 17th street exit, go to the top of the escalator, and turn right. Entrance to Club Quarters is 10 feet from the escalator entrance. Fare from Reagan airport was $2.10. Taxi from Dulles is about $75, or you can take a bus to the Metro and pay about $3 to go to Farragut Square North.

There was a small but steady line in the lobby for check in in the evening, but there are two self-check in kiosks you can use if you have a credit card and your reservation number handy. The touch screen terminal allows you to check in and get a room key. It was faster than the front desk. Check out was fast and efficient, although I didn’t receive a bill at my room.

You need to use a room key to operate the elevator. Hallways, common areas, and the rooms themselves are very clean, modern, and well kept.

The room is a little small for a hotel room, but laid out well to make use of the available space and plenty roomy. There would easily be room to add a crib or rollaway bed despite the fact it is fully furnished with closet, mirror, desk, end tables, and easy chair. Furnishings are modern and functional. Thermostat works well (when’s the last time you heard that about a hotel room?). Phone and wireless internet are fine. There is a small HDTV, clock radio, coffee maker, smoke detector and sprinkler.
Bathroom isn’t huge but well laid out with sufficient counter space. Good shower, no tub.

Bed is very comfortable, although the busy street below and construction site across the street generate an awful lot of noise, even at night.

There is a small bar with a wide selection of liquor and bottled beer on the first floor, with an excellent bartender. There is also a small restaurant on the first floor, and a work/seating lounge on the second floor.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2008

This hotel was very clean and modern and at just 4 blocks from the White House, a perfect location for sightseeing. The lobby is very small with only a couple of chairs and the front desk but there is a fairly spacious club room with comfortable seating, a tv, two computers with internet (and complimentary tea and coffee Mon-Fri) on the 2nd floor. There is also complimentary cold bottled spring water throughout the hotel which was brilliant.
My room was very small (even though mine seemed to be a room for disabled access which is usually bigger) and I get the impression this is the same everywhere in the building but it was clean, comfortable and well maintained. There was a linen cupboard on each floor for you to help yourself to any extra things you needed. If you're looking just for a place to sleep it's fine but I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on spending a lot of time in the room as you might start to feel claustrophic - especially if like me you have an internal facing room. Also the walls were very thin and the room doors noisy when they close. The wireless internet in my room never worked for me and I heard many people at the desk with the same problem. However I just used the club room pc's instead without any issues.
The area the hotel is in is definitely a business district and mostly closes down at weekends but it seemed very safe (lot's of other tourist around) and there was construction to the side and across the street from the hotel. I was never bothered too much with noise as I was on the opposite side and in an internal facing room. There were a few places in walking distance to eat (I can recommend Famous Luigi's if you like pizza or Italian) and you can order room service from the hotel itself or from a few local restaurants. The hotel restaurant is small and quite expensive and the menu quite limited but the food is nice. I felt breakfast especially was expensive at $16 for a full buffet but the tip was included in this. I ended up eating out most of the time anyway. There isn't really a place to sit in the bar except for the 10 or so stools, I didn't feel encouraged to spend any time there.
The desk staff were helpful and friendly with checking in and out and whenever I asked for directions or recommendations. Overall I was very happy with my stay and would stay there again.

If you're sightseing definitely buy a two day tour to see as much as possible. I got mine from Tourmobile which includes Arlington Cemetary. Wear comfortable shoes!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2008

My biggest issue is with Hotwire since they promoted this hotel as a 3.5* hotel and suitable for 2 or 3 guests in the room. As you know with Hotwire, you put in your criteria and they match it and let you know the Hotel name after you agree to purchase. My past experiences with 3.5 hotels thru Hotwire were at hiltons, Omnis, Embassy Suites, etc. So you can imagine my surprise when Club Quarters was the hotel chosen.

This is a business hotel and as one other review states - more like a dorm. Parking lot was almost three blocks away, even though there is another parking lot right around the corner - no valet parking service and the lot is not opened 24 hours - a real problem for early morning flights. The hotel is full of "do it your self " features - get your own linens that is if the linen closet is unlocked and stocked. Only one luggage trolley at the hotel.

Construction all around - next door and across the street. Work started at 7am - including Saturday. Air conditioning very inadequate and noisy. No screens on the windows.

Bathroom is certainly NOT a 3.5* quality - very small, no tub - shower only, very little shelving, limited toiletries provided.

The room is extremely small and really only suitable for one person. I have had cruise rooms larger. Only one bed in the room - and that is also small. Called for a roll out bed and literally had to rearrange the room and climb over the bed to get to the bathroom.

The hotel was promoted thru Hotwire as a 3.5* - not in my book!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family