“CLOSED UNTIL 2016”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
Ranked #38 of 442 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum of American craft art that begins with James Renwick’s architectural design of the building itself.
Washington, D.C.
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“CLOSED UNTIL 2016”
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

This wonderful museum of decorative arts is unfortunately closed for renovations for the next two years. Until then, try the Smithsonian American Art Museum, you won't be disappointed.

7 Thank AdaminDC

• Korean first
Arlington, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem across from the White House”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Whenever I have guests in from out of town, I always make sure to take them into the Renwick for a quick visit after we go to Lafayette Square (since they all want to see the White House). The building -- the first purpose built museum in the District -- is magnificent, and I love the feeling of climbing up the stairs to the second floor. But I have to show everyone the "Ghost Clock" upstairs, and whenever I'm in the area and have a bit of free time, I'll duck in to see it as well. As a Smithsonian, it's also free, but it's much smaller than their museums in the Mall, so it won't leave you feeling overwhelmed. Go and see it before it closes for 2 years for renovations on December 9th!

Visited November 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Gorgeous building, boring baskets”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I was here October 2013 when there was an American basket exhibit. I hate to say it (it *is* the Smithsonian), but I found the basket exhibit to be boring. My kids would not have appreciate this exhibit either. There's a video playing, showing how they are woven and there is a great display of baskets that can be touched. Placards are throughout the exhibit which tell visitors what tree or natural materials have been used for each basket. It's very, very well done but it just didn't hold my interest.

Visited October 2013
Brookhaven, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Thomas Gray exhibit”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

What a wonderful, small museum. And, it is free. The exhibit area is not large, so you do not feel overwhelmed. It has a nice gift shop and is very close to other museums. A quick walk from the Metro.

Visited April 2013
San Francisco, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“My FAVORITE of all the FREE Smithsonian Galleries!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

OMG ... was just wandering and because I love architecture this building caught my eye and I went in. What a blessing I did, a blend of nice portrait art and "thoughtful", and deeply creative contemporary art. I state it this way because I'm not really attracted to modern or contemporary art but the items there were so creative in a utilitarian sense with such a depth of meaning I couldn't leave and probably spent more time here than in the National Gallery as there was an hour long video regarding all the different exhibits. Definitely not to be missed is the Bureau of Bureaucracy:http://www.kimschmahmann.com/pages/g_bureau.html

This is the type of depth found in many of the works here! A not to be missed very small and intimate gallery!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank bstu4evrs

Been to Renwick Gallery? Share your experiences!