Open today: 08:30 - 16:30

from US$64.00
from US$20.00
from US$43.00
3,227 results
All reviews library of congress supreme court congressman's office beautiful building free tour private tour under construction eastern market capitol tour visitor center capital building short film great tour united states white house american history dome
Reviewed 28 April 2015

Three couples from Illinois met up with a former Illinois couple and did a week long tour of the DC area and sights.

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed 26 April 2015 via mobile

Great to see if in Washington as its a major part of Washington landscape.

When I was there you could not enter but great to see as you see this building all the time on TV.

Also great history surrounding the building.

Reviewed 24 April 2015

Beautiful building and delighted to find you could visit. For uk citizens there were 3 parts to the visit therefore 3 different queues. The main tour was good but the guide can forget to wait for visitors to assemble in each area. Even in October it was busy. As various groups twist round the building you could easily get lost. We lost a few from our group so it was better to hear the guide by the end!
Then we wanted to visit the Senate. Off you trot to queue no 2. As uk citizen you might expect security but I only had to ask for tickets and no I'd required. Went to view and was allowed to keep my handbag, all very laid back.
Congress is yet another system in same building and queue no 3 for tickets. I only had to show 1 passport to get 3 tickets . You have to drop off certain items in security area on ground floor( by now you will have been up and down the same lift a couple of times).
Back upstairs to face security. Sadly rude security, verging on unacceptably rude. Snarling and inarticulate to the point you could not understand a single grunt from theses 2 'ladies'. Is there anything stopping people from responding to a polite good morning from visitors?
Apparently you are supposed to show I-d for tickets, so take photo I'd just in case
All worth a visit, just nothing consistent in the arrangements.
Decent cafe on lower floor.
Should you visit, yes, definitely but be prepared for anomalies and to queue, a lot

Date of experience: October 2014
Reviewed 24 April 2015

I went on my own on a monday morning so it wasn't too busy. The tour is free and you just join the queue.

The Capitol looks impressive and imposing from the outside, and the interior is covered with paintings, statues, busts, flags, books, panels... absolutely stunning!
Tour is very informational gives you a good idea of historical background and the dynamics of the US government.
History enthusiasts will have a wonderful time.

Take the shortcut to the Library of Congress at the end, it's well worth a visit.

Date of experience: August 2014
1  Thank dilemmachine
Reviewed 23 April 2015 via mobile

When we went, the dome was under construction and couldn't even take any nice picture of the architecture. Very disappointing but I guess I recommend to plan ahead and find out if there's any construction or issues.