“Wonderful New Years eve. 3 course meal!”
Review of Cedar Restaurant

Cedar Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cedar Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #244 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: Between 8th & 9th
Transit: Gallery Place-Chinatown (YL,GR,RD), Archives-Navy Mem-Penn Quarter (YL,GR), Metro Center (BL,OR,RD)
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had a wonderful pre-theatre New Years Eve meal. The food was delicious! I didn't even know that I love parsnip soup! We were a large party of nine with some dietary issues and they were very accommodating and sweet about it. Service could have run a bit faster but our waitress was adorable and we all loved our meal! Drinks were yummy too!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Went to an office party on a busy pre holiday workday. The two tables (15-18 people) were not aligned in a perfect L but intersected so that some people had their backs to others. Also when
someone sought to have bar type snacks brought out family style the request was not addressed.
Food arrived so late that some guests, including me, had to leave before the main courses arrived. Food was nothing special. (Mine was brought home for me.) Desserts were tasty but small portions. I would definitely NOT go back there, particularly on a crowded day or when I was short on time. Kitchen was clearly overwhelmed and maybe the place was understaffed. Not sure if it was just an off day or what but with so many other choices in DC, I will skip it.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Enter by going down a set of stairs to a room with cedar trees. Interesting decor. Prices quite high for the quality of food which is only average.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Party of 6 for a pre-Capitals game. Half the party was late and the staff was very accommodating and understanding. Orders were taken promptly and the first round of drinks arrived quickly as well. Appetizer of smoked Rainbow Trout was elegantly plated and very tasty. After appetizers, the wheels started to fall off...

Entrees arrived in hap-hazard order. With two of them missing altogether. Eventually, manager came out to advise that the lobster grilled cheese would be out in 3 minutes. 10 minutes later, it arrived.

My entrée of roasted chicken on a bed of cheesy grits was pretty tasteless and the chicken was extremely dry. I have to think it sat in a warmer for some time before coming to the table. It was sent back and replaced with the grass-fed beef. Amazingly, that entrée arrived within about 2 minutes of being ordered. The manager explained that someone else had ordered it, so they just gave me their dinner. (Not sure how the rightful owner felt!)

The steak (cooked medium rare) was juicy and reasonably tender, but lacked flavor. Vegetables on the plate were rock hard and not warm. Creamed spinach was the highlight of the dish.

Later drink orders either didn't get filled or were really slow to arrive. Service was sub-par overall.

For the cost of this dinner, I expected more. Others in the party were reasonably happy, but we all agreed we wouldn't come back to this restaurant.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Three of us came to Cedar on a Sunday just before noon based on the recommendation of a friend. When we arrived, we walked down the flights of stairs to get to the dining portion of the restaurant. It was a little smaller than we had anticipated, but we had reservations and were seated right away. There was a couple who came in after us without a reservation, and they were also seated immediately. We had great service and they were extremely accommodating with special requests and substitutions. I had them create me a non-alcoholic drink made from ingredients listed among their other drink selections. We tried a cheese tray and we tried their four types of sausage that is served with four types of mustard. For our entrees, we ordered steaks and eggs. The meal was served with grilled bread and banana bread... yum. We split a dessert of the tres leches... everything was cooked perfectly and we left very full. I think the bill for all three of us, drinks, appetizers, meals and dessert totaled around $200. We plan to return.