“Cozy Place to Stay with a Good Location”

Otis Place Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #30 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Lewes, Delaware
“Cozy Place to Stay with a Good Location”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Otis Place. Larry. the owner was very attentive to our needs and our comfort level. Our kids loved the cat, Bo as he did us I believe. Larry even took the time to prepare small departing gifts that were left on our luggage just before we left.

Metro stations are not far by foot and we were able to get to most sightseeing areas relatively quickly. Close to the recently gentrified area of Columbia Heights where we found all the shopping we needed and great restaurants recommended by Larry.

We will be looking forward to our return visit to Otis Place in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Langosta, Costa Rica
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My wife and I chose the Otis Place B & B due to its location, a short 10 minute
walk to our son's home..First, the room provided was clean, well provided with
necessary personal items, and the queen bed was comfortable..The breakfast provided
was ample, and the choices included juice, fruit, cereals and oatmeal, and freshly
brewed coffee..Larry, our host, is a very amicable chap who provided us with
tips about the incredible assortment of fine local restaurants. And 2 Metro stops were nearby..
We intend to return to Otis Pl. B & B We actually felt as if we were staying at a cherished friend's home..We would recommend Larry and his B &B to anyone wanting to experience
the comforts of home while away..

Room Tip: The outside rear patio is a relaxing place to sit and enjoy your coffee or tea..
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rushnat
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I care about the following things when staying on a business trip:
-Location
-Sleep
-Shower
-Breakfast
-Amenities
-Price
My summary on this place: OK for three nights, but only because I know and am comfortable in DC.
Location was fine - I was working near Dupont Circle so the commute was about 30 minutes via Metro. The neighborhood is "recently gentrified" - it has a diverse ethnic mix and is all beautiful old houses. It felt perfectly safe to me, but people who are used to living in a homogenous middle-class suburb may feel uncomfortable. There are loads of stores and restaurants within a 10 minute walk. I especially loved the Ethiopian Market on 14th, which has an amazing mix of foods, including lots of organics and healthy snacks.
Sleep: I was in the Blue Room. Good solid bed. Very quiet, which is quite important to me. The curtains are not heavy, so I was sorry that I did not have eye cover on Saturday when I wanted to sleep in - it was light at 6 a.m.
Shower: Plenty of hot water and good pressure. But terrible, thin, small towels (although there are lots of them). It is a clawfoot bathtub, which means the shower is quite narrow and hard to climb in and out of.
Breakfast: Poor. There's a coffee maker in the room but supplied with the lowest-grade coffee/creamer packets and only on Day One (not resupplied). Coffee maker in kitchen has to be jiggled with; there was some old coffeemate liquid packets that curdled and some dry creamer packets. When working I really need a cup of real coffee and real creamer from the frig. There are dried foods like oatmeal and snack bars in the cupboards, and supposedly breakfast bowls in the freezer (but there weren't any). I could not find any microwaveable bowls for oatmeal so had to use a mug; the dining room table was fully set but with glass dishes which seemed strictly decorative.
Amenities: The wifi was very weak and had a needlessly complicated password. My iPad kept dropping the signal. There was also no place to work anywhere - no desk in the room, no place that I could sit in the living room to work, and the dining room table covered with plates.
This brings me to the decor: Eclectic would be a kind description. Remember, this is someone's HOME, so it is not generically furnished. I really liked some of the artwork, but, overall the house is very cluttered. It is hard to find places to put your things.
Oddly, although there is the owner, a cat, and two permanent tenants, in addition to the two guest rooms, I never saw ANYONE else, except for another guest in passing. I saw signs of them, but never spoke to anyone. This suited me fine as I don't like to waste time on polite chit-chat when I'm on a business trip, but at times it was a bit spooky. Especially the cat - how is it that I never saw him?
The owner does respond to email or phone questions / requests, though.
The best amenity here is the back porch, which is open to the sky. I sat out there every day to get fresh air because the house itself is a bit stuffy. The AC is a window unit and works fine; there's also a ceiling fan.
Price/value: It was $100 a night and for DC that is a very good price. I don't expect perfection for that, so I can't complain about the price.
But, on balance, I am not sure if I'd stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MsLisa_11
DCLarry55, Owner at Otis Place Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Quirky is an odd term to use when I describe the following event. I have signs on my front door advising Guests to watch out for my indoor cat. On night one for this Guest, lovely Bo, the 14 year old cat did escape. As of 5/20, it has been a week since he has been lost. What a heartache after 14 years. I still have hope. So, my caption would be heartache, not quirky. All the best, Larry
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The Otis Place B & B is....eclectic, to say the least. Bric a brac abounds on every available surface. Stairs are very narrow and a bit difficult to negotiate with a full suitcase. The Mauve Room was replete with decoration, down to Mardi Gras beads on every door knob. The room, although cluttered, was absolutely spotless. Not a spec of dust to be found, even under the bed. The bathroom was clean and the shower was great. Other positive attributes: The location was excellent, the price was right, and the host was very nice. Be that as it may, I don't think I would stay there again. The clutter was a bit much.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Most Guests enjoy the decoration, but evidently this Guest did not. All the best, Larry
Charleston
Reviewed 11 September 2012

First the plusses. This B&B is located in a mostly quiet, tranisitonal neighborhood and is the only choice within about a mile if you have reason to locate in Petworth. It is correctly represented as a private home with 2 rooms let out (on the second floor). It is clean and appears to be safe. The better of the 2 rooms is th Mauve, because it is a bit larger, has a shower and a small desk.

The cons. Both room sare are small, and particularly the Mauve room is jammed with the owner's personal stuff. Every surface, every door knob, every shelf, the closet, and every dresser drawer (except 2) are filled with storage items and bric-a-brac. The bed had 6 or 8 pillows we had to put in the hall since there was no room on the floor beyond our suitcases. Looks like most of this stuff has been there for decades. There are a bunch of half open shower supplies on the floor, but no toiletries, like bar soap. There is inadequate lighting to shave.

There are breakfast supplies, yes, but they are old -- perhaps years. The rolls I saw were at least a week old and rock hard, the milk sour, etc. There was not place to sit down and eat.
I suspect the last guest must have come through months ago. Really, really odd. We saw the owner in passing once. He does not appear to live there full time and did not ask if we had any needs. Hmmmm.

So..., if 3/4 of the junk were moved out of the rooms and someone cleaned up the kitchen, it would be a reasonable place to stay. But short of that, I would take a pass.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank saundric
Odd comments since the milk since I use Nature's Promise rice milk which is refrigerated after opening.

Travellers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

moorefield
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My husband and I and our daughter and son- in- law stayed here 2 nights.We had both of the guests rooms and so we felt like we had the whole house
to ourselves.We came and went freely and spread out in the living room
one evening. We liked being left on our own as opposed to lots of attention.
That being said, the owner was very willing to answer our questions and made
particular efforts to accommodate our special diets at breakfast.. It is a very quiet
location at night too and very clean.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 19 August 2010

My boys and I visited Washington, D.C. for a week during the summer and had a terrific stay at the Otis Place BNB. We didn't even have to rent a car since the BNB is conveniently located near major bus lines and the metro rail. I would highly recommend this BNB!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family