“Impeccable Service”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #58 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I went to DC for the 2011 Suntrust National Marathon and chose the hotel for it's location to the race and easy metro access. My hubby, brother and I could have not been happier! From the moment we stepped out of our 6 hour car drive, the doorman, Ron made us feel welcomed and like Kings.

The hotel's lobby is Gorgeous and it was really nice to walk in and know we were staying here. We were greeted with a smile by Annie (hope that is her name) at the front desk. She made sure my brother and I had the same floor and gave me aas quiet room as she could find so I could get sleep.

My brother's room didn't have a view and was a little dark but that was fine, he was very happy there. I had a view overlooking the park somewhat and it was REALLY uncomfortable to have the shower the way it was set-up (as everyone has described) they do have to change that! If you stay with a friend or a colleague, there is NO privacy. The room was very small and kinda cramped. The sink is in the actual room near the bed but not that much bothersome that we had an issue but it was strange and maybe I would have changed rooms if I didn't crash and go to sleep. Really Nice bed and my floor was quiet.

The SERVICE of the hotel is what STANDS OUT, from Greg (concierge) to the Audi "drive you up the street" service, we did not meet anyone who didn't smile and didn't know I wasn't running the marathon.....I still don't know how half the folks knew!!

We celebrated my race at the upstairs club, it was nice and had a great view. Boring but it got better as the night progressed, great place for singles!! Wish they had more seats available to guests though, we had no where to sit and my legs were killing me.

Also, I had a really hard time getting a cab the day of the marathon and I had a lovely lady run blocks at 6am trying to get me a cab the morning of the race, the metro access absolutely failed and I was almost in tears! She calmed me down and got me there!

I told my hubby when we go back this is the place for us! I cannot wait to go back again for my next race!

Room Tip: Ask for a Fab Room
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Jasmina26
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Hi abomb526,
Thanks for the honest feedback. I hope you were able to record a good time on the marathon as well?! Thanks for recognizing our talent members that contributed to a great stay. When planning your next stay make sure to reach out for Greg and the concierge team so they can secure a reservation for you with POV. Good luck training for the next marathon!

Reviewed 1 May 2011

The hotel has a fantastic location right near the White House and only 3 blocks / 5 mins walk from the Metro Centre tube station. This made the city easy to explore.

The room we had was very spacious, clean and modern.

The hotel was very busy on friday & saturday night with a party atmosphere. The rooftop bar is definately worth a visit for the views and to watch the sunset, but got quite chilly so wrap up warm.

There are not that many restaurants in the immediate area and the ones about were very busy so we would recommend booking a table.

We found the staff very helpful and would stay again if we were to return to Washington.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank K1000M

Hi K1000M,
Thanks for your great review. Our concierges are always ready to make any reservations needed or customize an itinerary prior to your arrival. Warm weather has arrived, so the nice breeze really makes POV the place to relax after a stroll through the city look at the city while enjoying a nice cocktail or a soda. Hopefully you come see us again!

Reviewed 29 April 2011

I had a terrible visit to the W Hotel in Washington DC recently. It was clear that someone had had sexual intercourse in the bed prior to my checking in and the sheets had not been changed. In addition, someone had used the toilet and not flushed. Very disappointed. Also was VERY noisy at night. More like staying in a frat house.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank StarwoodSucks
Reviewed 17 April 2011

It is obvious that a lot of money has been put into this hotel. The rooms and common areas are very stylish. But they clearly put style above functionality. It took me ten minutes to find the tiny switch on the "euro" desk lamp. The retro radio-alarm clock was attractive, but you literally could not read the display. The lighting is terrible, in both the rooms and many common areas. The stalls in the men's room were barely lit - with very dim, red ceiling lights. The rooms themselves weren't much better. Even with every light on in the room, it was hard to read a book. The door to the bathroom was a slider that you could not close all the way, let alone lock. But you had no privacy in any event, because the wall between the bedroom and the bathroom is actually the frosted glass wall of the shower! If you're showering with the bathroom light on, you would be pretty much exposed to anyone in the room. The shower has a glass door which, again, looks nice. But it leaked so badly that the floor was literally covered with water after every shower. I paid over a thousand dollars for three nights, and would have been much more comfortable in a Homewood Suites. The location is excellent, and it is a beautiful renovation of this older hotel. But, it's clear that interior design took precedence over everything else. The result is an expensive, attractive, and uncomfortable, hotel.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Neptune1117
wdcinsider, Front Office Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Welcome Neptune1117,

It is great to read that you enjoyed the stylish décor. We are looking into small quick-fix solutions to address some of the challenges you indicated. We can’t easily replace the glass shower but we are exploring other options to address this as not everybody is comfortable with it. As always we rely on your feedback to improve our service and facilities, and we really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I will also send a message to connect with you directly.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed 15 April 2011

Hotel is right in the heart of Washington DC. All the main sights such as Washington Monument, White House, memorials and museums are with walking distance. From out hotel room we could see the White House which is literally separated by one building! Metro station is also literally a couple of blocks away.

Hotel is well kept, rooms are beautiful with modern black and white interior. The negatives that I had with this hotel is that for such a high standard hotel the room doesn't have tea & coffee making facilities but they did have a sign saying you can request a coffee maker from reception which we did. We were later inform that they had run out off coffee machines so we were provided with a kettle instead. Staff were very accommodating.

My biggest issue with this hotel is that there is no privacy in the bathroom. Its beautifully decorated all very modern but we found that the shower is completely see through. From the inside you are not aware of this as you can't see out but you can see in! If you're sharing a room with a friend be prepared for this! I think the hotel my realise this as they have a very tall high chair in the bedroom that we used as a shield for the shower! The bathroom door also doesn't close completely therefore there is a gap so if you're sitting on the toilet doing your business and your friend walks pass the bathroom to use the wardrobe they can see you on the toilet. This is obviously a major flaw in the design of their bathrooms!

The roof top bar/restaurant is worth a visit particularly at night as you can use most of the major sights up here.

Overall enjoyed our stay in DC.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2011

We know better. With hundreds of Starwood stays over the last several years, almost every W leaves me vaguely cranky (exception for the Tuscany and the Court - oh, wait, they aren't W's anymore..). The W Washington was no exception, exaggerated, perhaps, by the need to fit the W stamp onto the room footprint of the old Washington Hotel.

Great location - overlooking the White House and easy walk to the esplanade, memorials and museums. Decent food in walking distance. Not far from the Metro. All good.

Staff (spare me the "talent" label) was generally very friendly and helpful. That is a step up from some W properties, in our experience.

The room was small, poorly lit, and poorly laid out. As a platinum member, I find some properties are very good at looking for upgrades and suites - others, you need to challenge them and drag it out of them. Here, I was rewarded not with a suite (they wanted to charge another $150 a night for that!) but a "spectacular" room. Or was it and "outstanding" room... or a "tremendous" room. If what we got was at the high end of that silly lexicon, I do not envy the bottom.

Sink not in the bathroom, but in the main room - no extra lights or makeup mirror, which my wife noted petulantly. Shower - how trendy to have a translucent box extending - and leaking - into the sleeping area? Not much. I wonder how unrelated business travelers may find sharing a room like this? And I was not happy to find clothing I needed for the next day, soaked by the water leaking into the carpeted bed area. Turns out it takes a long time to dry khaki pants with a hair dryer...

My pet peeves? First, the clock in the bedroom shows the time in characters no more than 1/2 inch tall. Totally unreadable. But stylish. Second, no chair in the room except at the desk - no place to sit back and read. Finally, though out the hotel, the chairs in common areas (like the "living room" - shame on me for thinking this was the lobby) seemed designed for 8-year olds - so low to the ground (again, than you trendy) they were at bet uncomfortable, and virtually unusable.

Business center - we have to pay to use the computers to print out boarding passes? Shame on you.

Coffee, ah coffee. Let me reach for the pot in the room for some great morning buzz...but wait...no in room coffee..we only get that in Westins (and Sheratons, and Four Points, and virtually every two bit motel we pass). But not at the W! Let's go to the lobby (sorry, the Living Room) where coffee is provided. In what may be the smallest cups I have ever seen. With lids that do not fit. As we, apparently, do not fit at this Starwood brand or this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Beachdancer104
Reviewed 4 April 2011

My husband and I took my parents to see the Cherry Blossoms this year. We had a wonderful experience at the hotel....everyone was so accomodating and friendly. But, one staff member really stood out. Our concierge, Jon Martin, could not have made our stay more wonderful. His recommendations were SPOT ON. He listened to our needs and made the perfect suggestions. Our trip would not have been as memorable without him! He's an excellent organizer, a great communicator and an awesome guide. I can't say enough great things about him! A true, true professional.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Hi HoustonPaige

Thanks for your great comments on Jon, we will make sure to recognize him for a job well done. He's been with us since opening and he is a real insider when planning a trip in DC. Hopefully we can welcome you back this season!

Safe Travels!