“Great hotel”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #59 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great location, modern, clean, friendly staff and great view from the bar

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel has a great location (walking distance to the Washington and Lincoln Memorials and the White House. The regular rooms were too small for me (around 200 square feet) so I paid for an upgrade to a suite. The suite had a great view of the National Mall but was still on the small size as suites go. The decor is modern and funky but the hallways were dark and reminded me of a bordello. Room service trays tended to sit in the hallways for longer than they should have.The beds were very comfortable.The POV rooftop lounge was nice and had amazing views of the White House. The gym is located in the basement but as bigger than most hotel gyms and had free weights, Technogym elipticals and stair masters as well as a boxing bag and free ear phones. The room service was on time and the food was very good. The front desk service was wonderful and although I paid for my upgrade the woman that checked me in gave me a reduced rate (which is a good thing because for the size of the rooms the full price of a suite would definitely not have been worth it). We ate at J & G Steakhouse in the first floor of the hotel. The room was beautiful and while the food was not bad the steak lacked flavor, especially for the price. The service from the bellman, to the front desk personnel to the room service staff helped make me like this hotel more despite the tiny sizes of the rooms. The Acura car service was a nice feature.

2  Thank Susan R
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The W Washington DC has the best location! The bar has amazing views that will get you feeling patriotic. My only issue was that the room was super small. It felt almost like a super stylish dorm room. Despite this, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed at the W for a few nights in January and loved it.

Location: I liked the location. Typically I have stayed in the Dupont Circle area because it is a bit more lively at night. I was initially worried about the W because its location is known to be a little sleepier at night (especially since it is surrounded by office buildings). However, I found the location to be perfectly fine. It is true that the vibrancy of Dupont Circle isn't there, but I think that the view from the POV bar is a nice feature found in few other Washington-area hotels.

Service: Very good service all around.

Rooms: Some may consider the Wonderful room a bit small, but it was perfectly fine for me. I was only there to sleep really and I wasn't there to lounge around. If I wanted to get some more space, the lobby "Living Room" was a great place to relax. It is true that there is little natural light in the Wonderful rooms because they face the interior of the building, but once again, this was not a big deal for me. The bathroom was great. The shower is plenty large, white and bright. The sink area provides plenty of counter space.

Hotel features: The decor is modern and very well done in the lobby. Having a spa in-house was also a pleasant feature. I had one breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was quite good.

Extras: I loved the Acura car service that was provided by the hotel and I used it a few times during my visit.

Room Tip: The Wonderful rooms are interior rooms so pick one of the other categories of room if you'd like...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank chi_54
Reviewed 22 February 2012

The location is very convenient but I was disappointed that it wasn't as clean or nice as I would expect for the price. The room wasn't bad, just a little grungy in the corners (especially the corners of the shower). I enjoyed the funky decor and I appreciated that the woman who checked me in at 10:30 pm upgraded me to a bigger room, but I will probably try a different hotel for my next trip to DC. The worst thing about my stay is that my room was tucked into a little hallway that had a door to the stairs at the end - I woke up several times during the night as the door slammed every time someone went through it!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

The best place to stay in DC. The location is perfect. Right next to the White House and the Treasury if you are in town begging for a bailout from Geithner.

Rooftop bar is best in the summertime. But stays open in the winter with heaters. Highly recommend this spot. Romantic place.

Staff is Great in this hotel. Whitney was awesome. Got me tons of extra pillows with a smile. Get here.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The W is one of the best locations in the District - near the Mall and the White House. The rooms are typical "W Hotel" rooms - modern, yet comfortable. I travel to DC and this is the top of my list. I have two gripes - the lobby bar and the roof bar. The lobby bar has limited supplies, and I have had to send back a drink on two separate occasions. The bartenders are not the A-Team. The roof bar used to be a cool, comfortable and non-fussy place to get a good drink with a spectacular view. Now, tables are all reserved, the music is too loud and the vibe doesn't vibe with the serene look out over the White House and the Mall. Plastic wrap ruins the view. Nice update to the hotel; terrible update to the bars.