“Overwhelmed - not us, the hotel”
Review of W Washington DC

W Washington DC
Ranked #55 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Overwhelmed - not us, the hotel”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

The young woman at the desk who checked us in was great; it went downhill from there. The room was fine, but nothing extraordinary for $360/night. Then there was the nickel and diming. There were at least 5 different locations in the room for minibar items - water for $9; wine in two different locations, and it was not a huge room.

And why do $50/night motels give you free Wifi access, but the more expensive the hotel, the more they charge you? Our Starwood status got them to waive the $14.95 per night per DEVICE charge but, predictably, it was on the bill and we had to have it removed at checkout.

We were in town for a conference as were other friends staying at the W. They did not get requested wake-up calls, had room service breakfast served 1/2 hour late. The hotel complained they were overwhelmed by demand, but that is poor management. Bring in enough staff to comply with your guests' requests; you certainly are charging them enough.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank UESfoodie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Korean first
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I've stayed at this W three separate times and have had 3 good experiences. The rooms are larger than a typical room at the W, and I especially appreciate how quiet this hotel is. The location is excellent ($18 taxi from DCA, and 3 blocks from the Metro station) and walking distance to the White House and Washington Monument. Coffee is avaliable in the lobby in the morning (there are no coffee pots in the room), and hot cider is available in the afternoon. The restaurants in the hotel are excellent, and the view from the terrace is superb. Acura was doing a promotion with the W, so I took advantage of the free car service (twice) while I was there. It was raining during my visit, but I was able to borrow an umbrella with a $40 deposit. W Hotels are trendy, and my only criticism is that there are few perks - free wifi in the lobby but not in the room, and it will cost to use the hotel computers for the internet in their business center. Also, sometimes it takes a while to figure out how to turn on the lights in the room as the fixtures are modern. On my first stay, I had a view overlooking the White House lawn, but the next 2 times, my view was of the interior brick walls - but again, the room was very quiet. I'll definitely stay here again if I have the opportunity.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LuckyLobsters
Philadelphia
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The location of the W Hotel can't be beat. It is located just in front of the Washington Monument and 1 block from the White House. You can walk to any attraction or museum on the Mall. The service in the hotel is excellent, We used the valet parking, the front desk, the concierge, and visited (but did not eat) the restaurant/observation deck on the top floor. Each hotel employee we encountered was professional, courteous, polite, and welcoming. Now the downsides. Since this is an old building, the rooms are small. But in its usual fashion, W has figured out how to make the most of every inch. Even so, you don't have a lot of clearance between the ends of the beds and the built in dresser/desk/wardrobe unit. And speaking of the beds, they are extremely comfortable! Great linens, down comforter, and plenty of fluffy pillows. The other unusual design aspect is that they used ceramic tile flooring in the entryway to the room. While it looks great, it is very noisy. We could hear our neighbors both next door and upstairs. This, combined with the fact that the hallway entry doors are extremely thin, made for a noisy night. Perhaps this is why W leaves a pair of earplugs on the night table. But being a frequent traveler, I always bring my own. The lobby was hopping when I returned from dinner at 10PM, so while I didn't hang out there, plenty of people filled the bar. The bottom line is if you are using the hotel merely as a place to sleep while you enjoy DC, you can't find a better located hotel. Just remember your earplugs.

Room Tip: The external view rooms are filled with light. We had booked with points and were assigned an intern...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Literally cannot describe how much I loved this hotel! Firstly it was in a great location, right in the centre of everything and just a short walk away from most of the major sights, we had a lovely view of the treasury from our window!
The room was amazing, lovely and big compared to many other hotels I have stayed in. I travelled with my mum and we had a twin room, and were so surprised when we got two double beds! The beds were also lovely and comfortable. The décor of the rooms was modern and tasteful and the whole hotel had a really funky feel to it without being too over the top or making you feel out of place. People have written about the noise but we didn't have a problem with it at all.
We had breakfast in the downstairs restaurant after they offered us a free breakfast if we didn't have our room cleaned while we stayed - to be more environmentally friendly (if this is still an offer that is going on I would fully recommend it, as if you are only there for a few days like we were you probably wont really need the room cleaning anyway...) We loved it so much we went there for breakfast every morning of our trip, the selection was incredible and everything was delicious. A bit pricey but for a holiday treat it wasn't too bad.
The staff were really friendly and helpful, we asked for a taxi to the airport and before we knew it a man had appeared and was carrying our case to the taxi that already knew where we were going!
All in all a brilliant hotel in a great location, will definitely stay again if I return to DC and would recommend to anyone visiting!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank topiwopi
Cody_Insider, Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Hello Topiwopi!

I am excited to hear that you enjoyed your time with us here at the W Washington, DC!

Don't you just love how convenient everything is to the W? Within minutes you are in some of the top tourist locations! I hope you had a chance to make it down to the Lincoln Memorial; it's one of my favorite places to visit in DC.

J&G Steakhouse has some of the very best food around and the breakfast is not to be missed. The French toast is out of this world! Glad you were able to take advantage of our Make It Green Choice! It's a great way to go green, and I bet you don't wash your sheets everyday at home either, so why not opt for that!

We look forward to welcoming you back to W DC very soon!

All the best & safe travels,

Cody
W Insider
SUFFOLK
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great location, modern, clean, friendly staff and great view from the bar

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel has a great location (walking distance to the Washington and Lincoln Memorials and the White House. The regular rooms were too small for me (around 200 square feet) so I paid for an upgrade to a suite. The suite had a great view of the National Mall but was still on the small size as suites go. The decor is modern and funky but the hallways were dark and reminded me of a bordello. Room service trays tended to sit in the hallways for longer than they should have.The beds were very comfortable.The POV rooftop lounge was nice and had amazing views of the White House. The gym is located in the basement but as bigger than most hotel gyms and had free weights, Technogym elipticals and stair masters as well as a boxing bag and free ear phones. The room service was on time and the food was very good. The front desk service was wonderful and although I paid for my upgrade the woman that checked me in gave me a reduced rate (which is a good thing because for the size of the rooms the full price of a suite would definitely not have been worth it). We ate at J & G Steakhouse in the first floor of the hotel. The room was beautiful and while the food was not bad the steak lacked flavor, especially for the price. The service from the bellman, to the front desk personnel to the room service staff helped make me like this hotel more despite the tiny sizes of the rooms. The Acura car service was a nice feature.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Susan R
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2012

The W Washington DC has the best location! The bar has amazing views that will get you feeling patriotic. My only issue was that the room was super small. It felt almost like a super stylish dorm room. Despite this, I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple