“Beyond Perfect!”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #60 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Prior to our October 2012 stay, I read so many mixed reviews on here about noise, security, etc at this location. Needless to say, it was perfect from check in to check out. We are Gold members of the SPG program and we had 2 rooms for the weekend. We were meeting up with friends and we are all in our early 40s.

We used the valet parking ($50/day) because we are not too familiar with the area to do off site parking. The valet staff and doormen were extremely friendly and professional. This is a very trendy and chic hotel. Very nice ultra modern hotel lobby / lounge area. Upon check-in, they have glasses of champagne to welcome you - very nice touch! We were upgraded to adjoining fabulous rooms, almost overlooking the White House, but the Treasury building was in the way. :( The rooms were very clean with plenty of space to move around.

There is a rooftop bar/lounge which gets really loud and crowded at night with ages ranging from 20s - 40s. We made a reservation for a table without any issues, had some drinks and enjoyed the beautiful view. The security at the elevators were not bad at all. They were very pleasant and professional. We headed back to our rooms a little after midnight. The music was still going strong, but we barely heard it from our room. I am a very light sleeper, but I was able to fall asleep without any effort.

Check out was a breeze. No unexpected charges and you have the option to have your receipt emailed to you. This is definitely a hotel we will return to, without a doubt.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Hello mlinteau,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you came to experience the hotel for yourself and loved it. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sending your review to our General Manager. We hope to welcome you back soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,357)

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Having never been to DC, I was delighted by the team. I was given running directions that gave me an iconic route, a recommendation to a great spot for oysters and taxidermy, and possibly the best outdoor bar i've been to. POV was lively, bursting with energy, great sips (love the Dark and Stormy) and amazing service. The decor of the hotel really was bold and intriguing. Everywhere you looked there was a detail showing the history, but with a fairly current twist. The young lady that checked me in was AMAZING. She recognized me everytime I wondered by and made sure I was enjoying the W. Kyle from Whatever Whenever was very helpful with some office supplies I needed for my meeting. Thanks, W DC!
The guest room layout was unique too. The lush carpet near the bed was such a nice change from other hotels, or it could have been the comfy bed...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Hello Sarah R,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you love our modern design mixed with the French Renaissance styling from the original building. We take pride in the service we provide and will be sending your shout outs to our General Manager to share with our Hotel Staff. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next escape to Washington D.C.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Everything about my experience at the W Washington was stellar -- the supreme location, the eclectic mix of new and old, the soft indirect lighting in the rooms, the forever smiling and "above and beyond" W staff, the bars, the check-in champagne, the restaurant - EVERYTHING made for a newly flawless "staycation" for my daughter and me.

This is such a special place that I'm actually happy it isn't on TripAdvisor's hotel short list for DC, which is probably the reason I was able to snag a last minute room deal. Hopefully I'll have the same luck when I'm in need of a "staycation" in the near future to see a concert or play in DC.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Hello Sassy T,

Thank you for your review. We do have the perfect location in the District with a short walk to many of the major landmarks and museums. We love giving guests our signature Whatever/Whenever service to make your stay special and unique. We look forward to welcoming you back on another staycation. Please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

We booked a fantastic suite so we could have guests in our room before our evening festivities and its a perfect room for entertaining. Fun decor and great views. A festive location for a bachelorette party. Lunch on the roof deck was fun way to soak up the city.

• Stayed: May 2013
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2013

Hello MonaMatimow,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy we were able to help you celebrate your bachelorette party. We do have some of the best suites offering our guests exclusive amenities and design. Our rooftop terrace is the perfect location to celebrate and enjoy beautiful views of major landmarks in Washington DC. We hope welcome you back again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

Upgraded on check-in to a room on the tenth floor with a decent view of the White House. The rooms are modern and well furnished - usual W standards but with little sign that this is an older building. Gym is good (and open 24 hours) if a little small. Service great throughout. Stung for a charge for having a small package left at reception - has happened before at other Ws but feels a little petty for a hotel charging such high rates - particularly since no other hotel I'm aware of does the same. Somewhat tarnished an otherwise excellent experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Hello alwaystravelling69,

Thank you for your review. We do have some of the best views from our guest rooms and we are so happy you enjoyed your room. W’s are known for their combination of modern cool with the history of the local area. We hope you will come visit us again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

We'd read the reviews and knew what to ask for: room with Treasury view, sink in the bathroom, coffeemaker in room (with coffee and cups), etc. (We were using points for a free night)
etc. Got all that- and room had great view. Yes, a little small, but better than I expected. We really liked having refrigerator in the room. Bathroom was efficiently done and spacious enough.
We had a delicious meal at the steakhouse. Valentino and Moritz, the lobby bartenders, were really awesome! We were there to celebrate our niece's college graduation, and they made her a special drink. Daniel, who works in the wine bar (which is really nice- I didn't even realize it was there), was great as well. We had the BEST ever cucumber martinis!
The staff in the spa is a bit uppity-when asked if they had any openings, they told us reservations had to made "at least a week in advance"-I can understand this, but they could have been nicer.
The lobby has a fun vibe-yes, eclectic, but still fun.
Free coffee in the lobby ("the Library") from 6am-10am daily. And, the coffee was excellent-some of the best I've had.
Nice gym-good equipment and good size for the size of hotel.
Fantastic location.
Concierge is not so great-both days they were somewhat condescending and less than friendly.
The bellmen/valet attendants outside were very attentive and friendly both days.
The POV is a bit overrated. Yes, the view is great. But the carpet when you enter is worn-no reason it should not be replaced. The food was actually good, but expensive. The drinks were excellent, though: great mojitos!
Beds were very good. Room was not totally soundproof (at one point I heard a baby crying), but we slept well.

Room Tip: Ask for exterior view with sink in bathroom (not in room).
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Hello Katherine B,

Thank you for your review. We love our SPG Members and are so happy you stayed with us during your niece’s graduation. Congratulations to her! We will be sending your shout-outs to Valentino, Moritz, and Daniel with our General Manager to share with our Hotel Staff. We would like to apologize for the service you received at Bliss Spa and Concierge. We want you to be able to relax and feel at home during your stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon and please email us with Whatever/Whenever you need in the future, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

I have been traveling for 5 years staying in a hotel from Sunday-Thursday and this is by far the worst hotel experience that I have ever had.

I work during the week in Falls Church and my company offers me the option of staying in a hotel at a comparable price to the falls church Westin (which is excellent) instead of flying home to Texas. For my anniversary I flew my wife to DC and chose the points plus cash option for the W in DC (6k points plus $110 a night).

Our stay was not pleasant to say the least…

1.) There was a large brown stain on the comforter which we did not discover until the second day. It was hidden beneath the small throw blanket at the foot of the bed, the W obviously knew about it, but chose to hide it instead of fix it. Once discovered we could not relax as our imagination would run wild wondering what other gross things were hidden in our room. Being that this was our anniversary it was safe to say that I had the least romantic hotel room in DC.
2.) I am a platinum member of SPG and for the most part I love their rewards program. However at the W DC they make you hate it. There is no mention of free breakfast, no welcome amenity and obviously no points earned on a points plus cash booking. To top this ALLL off they charge you $34.93 a night for “SPG Awards” ….this obviously came out of my pocket as I cannot justify that to my company.

If you want to see a picture of the brown stain it will be all over the internet as soon as I can find a place to review the W that allows for pictures.

The most shocking part of all of this is I recently booked 3 nights at a 4 points Sheraton for 3k points a night and had a wonderful time…apparently the W is just a name.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank spgplatinum99

Hello spgplatinum99,

Thank you for your feedback from your stay. We would like to apologize for the experience you had during your stay. This is not the quality of service we provide our guests and will be sending your review to our General Manager to address immediately. We do love our SPG Members and greatly appreciate your dedication to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. We would love to speak with you more in regards to your stay. Please send us your contact information to wdcsocial@whotels.com and we will be sure to get back to you right away.