“Don't waste your time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of W Washington DC

W Washington DC
Ranked #53 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Austin, Texas
“Don't waste your time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Have stayed at several W hotels and other Starwood hotels. This is by far the worst one that I have ever been to. From the website, it looks sleek, hip, nice. No. Rude waiters at rooftop bar, which is admittedly a great view. Even "manager" said we needed to get up from our seats because someone would be coming in later. Then nobody would serve us. When asked the manager, she passed request on to server that said, "what? are they in a hurry?" RUDE. UNPROFESSIONAL. No maid service. Evidently you are supposed to call if you want your room "styled". No paper at our door. Others got them. Upon arrival there was previous guests food tray at door. No hot water. Room extremely small even though an "upgrade" because of starwood member. The list goes on. Oh, and shag carpet that looks like it has enough DNA to replicate several people if cloning is something you are into. There are so many other hotels at this price point. There is no reason to stay here. If you want to see the rooftop bar, go have a peak and leave.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
2 Thank BeenthereSeenit5050
Hello BeenthereSeenit505,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the service you received during your stay. We will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address our Service Culture. We greatly appreciate you as our guest and would love to speak with you more in regards to the service you received. Please send us an email to wdcsocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Korean first
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel because of the great location. Was spot on... everything in walkng distance. First time staying at the W Hotel, so I didn't know what to expect. Wow, what a cool property. The lobby is beautiful - so much character. Rooms were comfortable. Cool looking bathroom. Staff super attentive. We checked out the roof top - incredible views. We enjoyed the rest aunt in the hotel for breakfast. All around great stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hello JTravelin,

Thank you for your review. We do have a great location with a short walk to many of the major landmarks in The District. Our designers combined the French Renaissance styling with W’s modern cool to create our unique look. We are so happy you stayed with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We recently celebrated our wedding at this hotel. Even though the wedding was small (10 attendees total) the staff worked with us to make it a truly memorable event. The ceremony itself was held on the hotel's rooftop terrace with spectacular views. Every staff member we encountered went out of their way to ensure we and our guests were made to feel welcome. The venue for our wedding luncheon was the hotel's J&G Steakhouse. The staff was thoroughly knowledgeable about the menu offerings and provided professional yet discrete service. The hotel room we occupied was small yet comfortable. It was nicely appointed with a contemporary flair. The location of the hotel could not be more convenient for anyone visiting Washington DC.

Hello SpacecoastFlorida,

Thank you for your review. We were so happy to help you celebrate such a special day. We do have the perfect location in downtown with a short walk to many of the major landmarks. We will be sending your review to our General Manager to share with our staff. We hope to welcome you back on your next escape.

Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Great welcome on arrival. Aurelia checked us in and was very welcoming...she sorted out rooms away from the noisy nightclub. She gave us some vouchers to use in the roof top bar and arranged for our bags to be taken to our rooms...all the time smiling and ascertaining we were looked after and happy.
The room was reasonable size. Shower room and toilet very smart and modern. The prize in the room was the bed......abed is a bed....but no this was very special....so comfortable but not floppy....truly the best bed I have been in ever! the sheets and duvet were soft and the pillows very comfortable...you could chose different types if wanted. Minibar as expensive as you find everywhere.
When we asked Aurelia were to buy some larger bottles of water she produced one from somewhere.....she also found us some hot chocolate......she was really helpful and an asset to the hotel. We had to borrow some brollies from the front desk...no problem.
Hotel nicely sited to get to everywhere easily...some great restaurants nearby...Old Ebbets Grill the best for breakfast. Definitely would come back here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank susiewoo25
Hello susiewoo25,

Thank you for your review. We will be sending your shout-out to Aurelia to our General Manager to celebrate with our staff. We love giving our signature Whatever/Whenever service to make your stay special. We hope to welcome you back soon and please let us know when you plan your next escape.

Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel for a trip to DC ... we had a suite and therefore had plenty of room. I took the advice that I found on this site and requested a room on a lower level ... I wore ear plugs and had no noise issues whatsoever. We ate lunch at the rooftop patio POV which was great as far as the food was concerned ... waitstaff, not stellar ... lots of chatting amongst themselves while my drink went dry ;).

I used the concierge before arrival to arrange a driver to our wedding and everything went perfectly and the staff was very helpful.

The lobby had a fun vibe and we enjoyed a couple of cocktails before going out to dinner ... just a really great space.

I would stay here again each time ... the location cannot be beat and it was good fun.

Hello dora_pirate,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We are so happy you enjoyed your time with us during your recent stay. We do have the perfect view of Washington DC from our rooftop terrace. We would like to apologize for the service you received on our terrace and will be sending you feedback to our General Manager to address. We look forward to welcoming you back and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need, wdcsocial@whotels.com.

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The hotel itself is very cool with unique furnishings and decor. The staff was wonderful and very attentive to anything we needed. The rooftop bar has an absolutely amazing view but the drinks are the most expensive in town.

Room Tip: We were there in SPG points so I can't speak to the costs but if you can get a WOW suite it is v...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hello John32226,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you stayed with us on your recent trip to Washington DC. We love giving our signature Whatever/Whenever service to make your stay special. We do have the best views from our rooftop terrace of The District. We hope to welcome you back soon and please let us know when you plan your next escape.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Rooms: Lucky enough to be upgraded to a Fabulous Suite on arrival. However, I would expect that all rooms were appointed to the same quality, even if size differed. It was very comfortable. Even though I didn't have guests, it is large enough to hold a meeting, or have a couple of people come and sit in the lounge area. I simply enjoyed having the separate space to relax after a day of sight seeing. The Bliss products in the room were an added bonus and made me want to use hotel provided product - something I don't usually do.

Service: I found the service in the hotel and lobby bar to be wonderful. The bar staff were lovely, service quick and their approach made the lobby bar a very sociable space for a drink at the end of the day. On receiving an email wishing me the best on my last night, I requested a late check out. The manager was obliging given my room was not booked the following evening. That allowed me to make the most of my last day given I had a long haul flight ahead of me. I also took advantage of the free car service that can be booked after noon to drop me at a show. This was provided by a car company, but a really great bonus.

Location: Great for sightseeing, but not much nightlife downtown. If you want a cafe and bar scene in Washington - stay or go to Georgetown. The W was perfect for me as I only had a few days in town and I prefer to walk a city. It is within walking distance to everything from the Lincoln memorial to the Capitol. The mall is a block away. You don't have that sort of access from Georgetown so the decision is best made on what is more important to you.

Other: On site gym was well appointed. I also used the on site Bliss spa and found that to be of a high standard. Much is written about POV. It is a great space, but I couldn't get seat for dinner my first night in. The second night there were no reservations, so my suggestion would be to book well ahead for dinner. Hotel guests don't seem to get any preference. It is worth visiting, but it isn't a fine dining restaurant. The view is good and I found the service to be good too.

Worth a visit.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Hello Worldticket,

Thank you for your review. We do have the perfect location with only a couple steps to The White House and a short walk to many of the major landmarks. We are so happy you enjoyed your room and loved our exclusive Bliss amenities. We greatly appreciate you as our guests and hope to welcome you back soon. Please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need on your next escape.