“Glamorous Boutique Feel”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #57 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We booked this hotel for our honeymoon stay as my husband had such a glowing recommendation for it from a recent business trip... And it didn't disappoint. The rooms are small but beautifully decorated with comfy beds, great shower and a fun mini bar. The option of complimentary coffee or iced water on arrival or departure is a nice touch too.

Staff are friendly and the place is immaculate.

Then- the best bit- the rooftop bar is a real treat. Definitely make reservations in advance as tables get taken and this way you get a guaranteed seat and great service. The cocktails are pricey at $15 each but are delicious too- the mojitos are one of the best I've had. The real reason for a visit is the unique view- as the closest hotel to The White House, this hotel is in a prime location to get a view not everyone will have the chance to see. We were lucky enough to see Marine 1 land which was really exciting.

A great bonus is the fact that this is the place to be on a Friday and Saturday night in DC, which comes with a guest list an queue to get to the bar... Unless you're a guest and you walk right in- amazing!

In summary- this place is cool and chic but fun and delicious too. I will definitely be coming back here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Hello Traveling_Wide,

Thank you for your review. We are so glad you stayed with us on your recent trip to Washington DC. We do have the best panoramic views of The District from our rooftop terrace and handcrafted cocktails that will tempt your taste buds. We hope you will come visit us again soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Basically next door to the White House - incredibly location for getting around the city. Beautiful room, fantastic bar on the roof with a great view of the White House & the Washington Monument, also a really nice bar on the ground floor & great service. Top choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mikesullivanuk

Hello mikesullivanuk,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We do have a perfect location with only steps to The White House and a short walk to many major landmarks. We hope to welcome you back soon on your next escape and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you may need.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Hotel is in perfect location and has a fun, trendy boutiquey vibe. Service varied greatly when it came to the "whatever/whenever" (their concierge service). One guy was professional and helpful, another woman was bored and unhelpful. Sometimes the sceney trendiness gets in the way- the bartenders were overwhelmed in the lobby and service suffered. The roof deck views are amazing, but if you don't have a reservation - which you need far in advance even on a weeknight- you will be standing awkwardly behind people at their reserved tables.

The room was great- our only complaint was you could hear every toilet flush, doors closing etc. Our room had a separate hallway and it was still loud.

• Stayed: July 2013
WHotelDC, Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Hello Chfoss,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the service you received. We take pride in the service we provide our guests and will be sending your feedback to our General Manager to address our service culture. We hope to welcome you back soon on your next escape.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

While taking in the 100th year anniversary celebration of my beloved sorority, I had the opportunity to meet one of my former roommate there. We were whisked by elevator to the top floor. It was early evening in the midst of a heat wave that had struck the city. So the sun was still up and the lounge, which is open air was beginning to cool.
It was not until sunset, when the lights began to come on at the monument and the White House that I got the full impact of why folks love to gather there. As cooling breezes began to blow through and an unusual mix of friendly good natured characters arrive, I realized I was sitting in one of the truly unique spots in D.C.

Room Tip: This location gets very busy after 9. If you want a seat, get there early.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Hello LJClark34,

Thank you for your review. We love giving all our guests a unique and special visit whether it’s overnight or just a couple drinks with friends. We do have some of the best views from our rooftop bar of the District and major landmarks. We hope to welcome you back very soon on your next escape.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Make a reservation to snare one of the tables right next to the open air view of the White House, National Airport, National Cathedral, etc. So the drinks are $15+; the view is priceless. We were there when a summer storm came rolling in and got to see it unfold before our eyes (the outdoor space has clear plastic "shades" to protect you from the rain). We averaged about one drink per hour and no one pushed us out. So go ahead---gawk at the beauty of our nation's capital!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank itsmyturnow

Hello itsmyturnow,

Thank you for your review and recommendation. We do have breathtaking panoramic views of The District and The White House. Our Mixologists will make you perfect cocktails to tempt your taste buds. We hope to welcome you back soon and please let us know Whatever/Whenever you need.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I'm British. I hate complaining. I really do. But I've stayed in some lovely hotels in DC, like the Palomar and the Sofitel Lafayette Square and I'm really disappointed with the W.

I'm here for 9 nights as a treat for my 40th. The W has a good reputation.

I booked weeks ago to have drinks at the POV bar on our first night here - and then received an email saying that my reservation was cancelled (with no explanation). After emailing (three times) and tweeting, I finally received a voicemail from a very polite lady explaining that (after my booking and confirmation) the hotel had booked the whole pace out for a private party. OK. I get that. I'm reasonable. But I'd have liked to have been told, not just receive an email saying 'your reservation is cancelled'.

Moving on. I'd specifically asked if it would be possible to have a room with a view. I booked weeks ago. We arrive - and our room is dark and facing an inner courtyard. So I'm beginning to get disappointed.

Then we find that the bathroom hasn't been thoroughly cleaned (the previous resident's litter was still there). Then there are no shower caps. Then there are only a few hangers, so we have to request more.

Like I say, I'm British. I hate complaining. I want to like the W. It seems like a nice hotel. The staff seem good. In fact, I'm hammering this review on my laptop sitting downstairs.

I asked if we could (please) be moved to a nicer room. No, was the answer. Great. Why is it that only angry, obnoxious people get treated well?!?

Sorry to sound harsh, but this is just not the experience I paid for. Really disappointed. And still have nine nights to go here. I hope it gets better...

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JasonMacKenzie1973

Hello JasonMacKenzie1973,

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to apologize for the experience you had with us. We have sent your feedback to our General Manager to address our service culture. We want you to be able to relax and enjoy your stay with us. We would love to speak with you more in regards to your stay. Please email us at wdcsocial@whotels.com and we will get back to you right away.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

It's hard to beat this location next to the White House and just a short walk to the Smithsonian museums and so much else. Kim at the concierge desk was personable, outgoing, and very informative both validating restaurants on our list and offering other excellent choices.

Claire at the front desk could not have been more helpful confirming us in a Fantastic Suite (we're SPG platinum) for the five nights we were there. The SPG breakfast was very good each morning with a continental choice or the ability to apply the value to the menu.

Overall, every time you walked in you were welcomed back and by the end of the stay we were being greeted by name. High recommendation for location and staffing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello LovetheBigIsland,

Thank you for your review. We are so happy you stayed with us and we will be sharing your shout-outs to Kim and Claire with our General Manager to celebrate with our hotel staff. We love our Platinum SPG Members and hope to welcome you back very soon.