“great hotel great location”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #57 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I've stayed in many DC hotels and this is one of the best. not too much neon like some W hotels but just the right mix of energy and sophistication. Keep much of the old Hotel Washington. great location, nice rooms and a view of the white house

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank DaveKapolei_Hawaii

Reviewed 20 November 2013

W's are generally not good but this is one of the worst - only stay here if going to White House because it is super convenient. It also has best view from rooftop bar. Otherwise it is pretty worthless.

Service is terrible/non existent. At 3pm I went upstairs w/a friend to get a bite at the bar. There was no one to greet us or get a table. We had to track someone down. Then after we sat down, no one came to help us. The waitress walked back & forth by our table 3 or 4 times without even greeting us, much less taking an order. After 10 minutes, we finally asked the guy picking up drinks. He said that there was only one waitress and she was busy. He couldn't even say, "oh sorry", "she'll be with you soon". Her register was 5' from our table & she would just hang there. She couldn't even turn to us and say "I'll be with you in a minute". She would walk right by us without a glance or utterance. Honestly, I've never experienced anything so ridiculous. There were only 6 or 7 bar tables she was tending to.

Total attitude from both people. After 15 minutes of waiting, we just stood up & left.

In the morning, no doorman to open door or get cab.

Besides I had a room without any natural light, butted up against a brick wall.

Totally out of date style. Dark and silly.

They continue to validate my belief this is the Worst hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear JSTJJC,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your latest experience at the W DC. I am truly concerned by your comments regarding the poor level of interest and service delivery that you have experienced. It has been addressed immediately and please believe that I will make sure that the right attitude is there, always, in the future.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me if you get the chance, whenever you are back to the hotel. I will make sure that you are very well taken care of.

Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The W is in a great location a couple of blocks from the White House and near several Metro stops. The rooms are typical for a W and overall the hotel has benefited greatly from the refresh since it's days as the Hotel Washington. The rooftop bar has fantastic views of DC and is a must. It can however get quite crowded in the evening. The hotel is expensive and there are a number of less expensive Starwood properties in DC, but the W is worth the stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The W is in the old Hotel Washington Hotel right smack in the middle of all the great DC sites. One block away is the White house and 2 blocks the other way is the national mall. It's location is excellent. It is a very expensive hotel; to give you an example, valet parking is 50$ per night. Breakfast sent to the room (granola, yogurt and coffee) was 35$. It is a place to be seen and be young. Many fashionable people hang out there and go to the rooftop bar. Many Europeans also stay here. I would opine that the rooftop has one of the best views in the city. The rooms are very white and also hipster in their decorations. There is a lot of mood lighting, but if you are middle aged, you will find that the lights are just not enough to see well. The products in the room are "bliss" which are top notch. I even pressed the "whatever whenever" button on the phone and got more lotion to take home! The room was a bit small, but had lovely towels, robes and all the amenities. Interestingly, there was not a coffee machine, but you could press the WW button and get it. There was free coffee in the lobby in the morning. The staff was quite friendly and dressed all in trendy black clothes with expensive cologne. It is a scene and I enjoyed it and felt young and cool. I would have rated this place excellent, but the prices really are shocking, so I rated it very good. I guess when you are in the big city, you have to pay top dollar for the location and the atmosphere. Fun overall. I was also traveling alone as a female and felt very safe here. It is busy at night and you feel comfortable in the area by yourself. There is also a spa and fitness center on the lower level which I did not use.

Room Tip: This place is noisy on the weekends. I asked for a quiet room and got one. No view, however, but I...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The W Washington is well situated, just one block from the White House and in walking proximity to several Smithsonian Museums. It is ultra cool - maybe a little cool for those of us who want to enjoy a little down time in our hotel after a full-day of sight seeing. Our room was a little on the small side and the lighting so dim that it was impossible for two of us to sit and read. And the lobby, while pretty cool looking, was pulsing with loud music, which again, made relaxing a challenge. We actually retreated to the lobby of the adjacent Williams Hotel to sit a read one night. (To their credit, our room was very quiet) The room is well appointed - the bedding very nice and the soaker shower head is a treat, but we found the bed a little on the soft side. The food in the hotel was just average (we grew tired of the breakfast options very quickly) & expensive. In summary, this is a very nice hotel - perhaps better suited to those who want to go clubbing.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather M
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Heather M,

I have carefuly read your feed back and I thank you for it. our Brand is known to shake some of the traditional hospitality codes. At the W D.C. we want to greate the best combination between tradition (building) and modernity (design), luxury (outfit) and energy (music)... We however need to please our guests and in your particular case we certainly would have been more accurate if we would have known you were looking for a quieter atmosphere. Have you mention this to anybody?
We certainly would have been more then please to accomodate you in a different aisle of the hotel.

Please do not hesitate to let us now when you are planning to visit D.C again. I can promise you that we will take a great care of you.

Have a wonderful day

Reviewed 8 November 2013

We went to the W Washington Hotel because we wanted the view from the rooftop bar. The view was really nice even with it being a little rainy. So I have to give the bar props for having a great view. I've read a lot of negative reviews about the hotel and I can't speak for that since we just came in for a drink and the view. But the bar provided good service and we were able to enjoy the view without anyone being in our way. The top is covered with a tent/tarp material and the sides are open so it's not a true "open air" rooftop bar. But this means it can be open a lot more so that's the tradeoff.

We enjoyed our time here and would be willing to return. It can be loud and a bit crazier later at night but it's a bar and can be a hotspot for the younger crowd. Embrace it and enjoy it. Or go earlier in the day. :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Hi thegamecrafter,

Thank you for you nice comment. The rooftop and its POV (Point Of View) bar is certainly really famous becouse of its location and the great cocktail that our bartenders can craft for you. However, and as you say, it can be very popular some days and some nights.
The space is large enough to certainly find some quieter spots for some of you who may want to enjoy the view only.
We have recently adjusted our sound system that now fully address some issues that we had in the past. More comfort, a brand new selection of DJs and artists who will certainly seize to a wider audience.

More to come, stay tuned on our social media scene. Have a wonderful day

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We checked in on Friday night after flying in. I had ordered flowers for my wife's birthday and had indicated on the Delivery that we were arriving late and please deliver to the room. The flowers arrived sometime on Friday and were left in the box somewhere "out back". When I asked for them, I was told "Oh yes. They are out-back". After a 15 minute wait, the clerk arrived with the flowers still in the shipping box. It was a pretty poor presentation to my wife for her birthday.
I found the decor of the hotel to be marginal, not very warm and inviting and the room to be quite small with a shower that leaked out onto the floor. Overall, a very disappointing stay at what I thought would have been 5 star.

Room Tip: There are many interior room that face a bland courtyard and other rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denis R

Dear Denis R,

Thank you for your feed back. I wish I could have the opportunity to speak with you off line so that we can investigate accordingly.
You mentioned a lack of service and when I read your words; I can only be agree with you.
We are known, and our "Whatever Whenever team" is known for organizing some great and unforgatable moments for our guests ; sepecially if there is a surprise to be made.

Please revert to me and I can promise that you will not be desappointed.

Have a great day.