“I'm at The W”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel has an amazing location. It looks like it used to be another hotel and was bought up by the W suites hotel. It is the main and only W in DC. What can I say besides this is a young people's classy hotel. It has a very nice lobby area. I did not stay at the hotel, but had an amazing experience with friends and family who had stayed in the hotel. We enjoyed the rooftop bar and lounge POV which has an extraordinary view and amazing lounge service. Classy and classic. Love it

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,366)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

First of all: ROOMS VERY SMALL and front desk is rude especially the manager. I found the parking to be a RIP OFF !!!!
Daily rate is $ 25 and if you stay over night its $ 50 dollars. I don;t understand is daily 24 hours ? When I asked for an explanation I was told that's the rate. I said if I come in at 4 pm and leave at 10 pm and come back at 1 am is that 24 hours ? very confusing esp. when the parking garage across the street charges $ 17 for a flat weekend rate !!!.
SO NOISY and if you get an inside room expect a window with no view and etching on the window.
I was sad to see this place is a STARWOOD PROPERTY

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear EM,

Thank you for your feed back that allowd me to deeply investigate with our team. It appears that you were mislead by the information provided on our website. The car park is not under our management and the information featured are confusing.
The price is actually $50 for 24 hours and valet parking $25. This fare includes the service meaning that someone will take care of your car while checking in the hotel and get it back while checking out.
However we offered you to charge $25 only but you refused asking us to COMP it.
I can insure you that an information will be added on our website so that it is corrected accordingly.

Have a splendid day
Olivier

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Nice hotel, good restaurants, great bar (POV), but I won't go back! My experience at the W tonight makes me want to spread the word. The quality of the clientele here has gone so far downhill that I don't think I will ever go back. I feel like I ran into a Chris Brown situation (google it). Great view at POV, but be prepared for a low quality crowd....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmolitor
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The W Washington DC is a great hotel, and easily one of DC’s best. My recent stay was not my first there, and it’s doubtful it will be my last. That said, though the W is one of the better, if not best choice for a lot of travelers going to DC, it isn't for everyone. For that reason, I've compiled a pros/ cons list below:

Pros:

Location – you cannot get a better location in DC. The hotel is located across the street from the White House, walking distance from virtually all National Monuments/ Museums, and also walking distance from numerous bars and restaurants. If you’re looking to explore the city, this is as good of a place to be as it gets.

Service – I stay at a lot of top hotels, and the W DC’s service is among the best I've experienced. While the hotel is large enough to have all the amenities one would like, it’s small enough that the staff remember your preferences and name. What’s also nice about the service here is it’s genuine. Anyone who’s stayed at as many hotels as I have knows how sometimes hotel staff will speak to you in “hotel;” but at the W instead of constantly being referred to as “Mr. X” and then half-caring about your request, the staff call you by your first name and speak to you as a friend who wants to make your stay as nice as possible. I like this, and it’s a refreshing change of pace that I wish other hotels would embrace.

Style/ Party Vibe – DC hotels tend to be stuffy and boring places, but not the W. From the awesome rooftop bar/ club, to the traditional but modern lobby, this is a fun hotel where you want to hang out even if you aren't staying there. Just look at the crowds at the rooftop club (POV) on the weekends – a lot of those people live in DC, it’s not just hotel guests up there (and that’s a good thing).

Room/ Suite Design – the suites at the W are spectacular (look at my attached photos), but the regular rooms are well designed too (I've stayed in them during previous stays).

Cons:

Party Vibe – though for me personally this is a plus, for those who just want to crash early on the weekends/ families with small children, take note that this is DC’s party hotel. The club stays open until 3AM on the weekends (on the higher floors music can sometimes be heard), elevators can be tough to get when the club is open/ crowded, and there is a distinct possibility of running into a number of drunk people on any given Weekend night.

Standard Room Size – while nicely designed/ decorated, the standard rooms are on the small side. For a short stay this probably isn't a big deal, but for a longer one, you might want to consider getting a suite (which are beautiful and worth it).

In sum, I really like the W Washington DC, and for me, this is where I’ll probably be staying next time I’m in town. I’d recommend most people to do the same.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Theate3541
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed for only one night (Thanksgiving Eve) and wish we could have stayed longer. We flew in to see If/Then in previews before it left for Broadway. The hotel itself is gorgeous. Our room was beautiful and very clean with a terrific view of the Treasury Department.

The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. When they saw it was just my daughter and I they asked if we'd like two doubles instead of one king. I explained it hadn't been available when we booked. They were able to give us the two beds. Told the restaurant that we were going to a show and they made a reservation for a perfect time and got us in and out without us feeling rushed.

The restaurant was delicious for both dinner and then breakfast. Yes, the prices are high but the food and the service were both excellent. Most hotel restaurants' prices run on the high side anyway. My only suggestion (minor) is to add some less fussy items to the dessert menu.

The location could not be better. Close to everything.

I haven't a single complaint and only praise.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Treasury Dept.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have been waiting for awhile to try the W chain and it was alright. The rooms were small, but I think that is the standard in most hotels in DC that are older and remodeled. Our first night there was very quiet, but that was because it was Thanksgiving day. However, the 2nd night (Fri.) was a different story. A little after 4PM they have a DJ that is spinning music in the lobby and music on the rooftop bar. I was on the 7th floor and I could hear music coming from either the rooftop, lobby or both. If you are not into that type of scene, I would not recommend staying here. The hotel restaurant is very expensive and I had two different experiences from the morning wait staff, very friendly and the evening wait staff, very rude and need an attitude change. I was out most of the day and surprised to see that when I returned to my room around 2PM the room had not been cleaned. Maid service did not show up unit around 3:30PM. They also go by the Whatever/Whenever, but when asked to go to the rooftop on Thanksgiving night just to take pictures, we were told NO, because it was closed for the night. The only plus is that the hotel is right across the street from the White House and Treasury Bldg., near the national mall and Smithsonian and waterfall shower. There are a few restaurants within walking distance as well. Overall, the price of this hotel does not match up to the quality received and I would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Don't come here - mold and noise. Not worth the money. Moved because of mold in bath. Trashy and noisy..... Don't bring kids!!!! Very expensive ; and so not worth it - food... Can't sleep at 11 pm - people raising hell everywhere...

• Stayed: November 2013