“Service has slipped”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #59 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Since my initial very positive review a few years ago, we have had several disappointing stays in addition to sales staff not even bothering to respond to two requests for proposals for meetings. With staff that appears to have an attitude problem, small rooms, high rates, and a roof-deck bar where hotel guests seem to be considered second class customers there are many better options at that price point. Also, the SPG Platinum breakfast offered at this property is the stingiest I have encountered to date, but clearly reflective of the overall service spirit at this property.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,340)

Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband, 7 year old daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights. Walked to everything! Loved every minute of our stay! High-end atmosphere...not really geared towards families... I would have liked more time on the rooftop bar, but that was our choice to stay there with a kid. Great stay!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Joy A
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Bottom line: Great hotel, a solid 4 star hotel (I reserve 5s for places like the NYC St. Regis). Will stay here again for another date night.

We're local to the area but we stayed there for a night at the Kennedy Center, a nice dinner and then dancing at their club (POV).

Start of with the bad or not so good:
1) Didn't get my Suite Night Awards - This is a problem I have across all SPG properties, I have a bunch of these awards and can't remember the last time I was able to redeem one. Very frustrating.
2) Odd bathroom door, the sliding door has a huge gap when closed. I'm not shy, been in the Army and have lived in barracks where the toilets had no walls. I understand that the sliding door saves space but they could be better. My wife and I have been together a long time but seeing each other go to the bathroom is not on our bucket list.

The Good:
1) Great friendly staff.
2) Very comfortable bed and insanely nice pillows. The bed is the second best bed I have ever slept in (1st place was the St. Regis) and my wife absolutely loved the pillows. Unfortunately my wife wants me to get her these pillows which I believe are about $100-150 each.
3) Nice room. Even though I didn't get a Suite Night award, I did get a larger room with a view of the Treasury building. Read some reviews of thin walls but I didn't hear anyone else (while waiting for the elevator we did hear some loud people from the hallway). I believe the club is on the 11th floor but the noise from the club was very faint in room 912 and didn't bother us at all. Given that they told us that we were upgraded to a larger room I'd probably by un-satisfied with a smaller room.
4) Great breakfast. As platinum members, we got a free continental breakfast, which like the Westin in Charlotte, included salmon, prosciutto and salami. The Westin in Charlotte allowed me to upgrade to a full breakfast for $5. This place has a strange policy which was an $18 credit or free continental but couldn't combine them.
5) Fun club on the rooftop. Bartender we used was generous with the alcohol. Music wasn't my favorite but it was still fun. It sucked not being able to sit down and a fight broke out but we still had a great deal of fun. BTW, our rum/Jack and cokes were only about $9 each, which I think was decent.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at W in Washington DC last month and were quite disappointed with the service levels. Here are the specifics:
1. On reservation, we were told that the premier class of rooms have the view of the Washington Monument. No such luck. We faced the Treasury building and had no view of the monument or the White House
2. We requested a coffee maker and it took more than an 90 minutes for it to be delivered. The lady told us in an irritated voice on third reminder that she is alone and it will take time to meet the request
3. The phone in our children's room was not working. The technician came, fiddled around for 15 minutes and then said it is broken!
4. Room service took about an hour (just some desserts)
However, to be fair to the hotel, they accepted all the short comings and took of many of the charges which made us feel better. The front desk staff was able to at least able to salvage the situation a bit during the check out!
The location is quite good for the museums, white house, national mall. Service was poor but that is maybe because we were there over the Thanksgiving weekend and the hotel was very short staffed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandeep T
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We take your concerns very seriously as it helps us improve our performance and provide superior guest service. We are known for our wonderful views of the Washington Monument, which can be seen from our Marvelous, WOW, and E-WOW suites, which is our premier guest rooms. POV, our roof top lounge, is known by locals and enjoyed by all for it's exceptional views of the White House and Washington Monument. I'm surprised to hear that the team was not responsive to your needs as they strive very hard to execute our "Whatever/Whenever" service culture. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please reach out to me directly so that I can ensure you have a true W experience.

All the best,
Olivier Servat
GMOlivier.Servat@whotels.com

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in the perfect spot, across the road from the White House, an easy walk to the Washington Monument and the Smithsonian's. But the room was tiny, the bathroom was so small the sink was in the main room which just seemed to fit the bed. The rooftop bar is nice but not great. Definately recommended though due to the location.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Was in DC for the MC Marathon and stayed at the W for location. This W Hotel is like all the others -- trendy, sleek, modern. Room was and bed were comfortable, however I was a little surprised by how small the room was. My one major complaint was the service at the rooftop restaurant. Go up to see the view, but don't stay. Service was one of the worst I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Hello,

Thank you for writing a review and providing us with your feedback. The team at POV works hard to provide exceptional customer service so I'm surprised to hear feedback like yours. Please accept my sincerest apologies for not living up to our service model, "Whatever/Whenever." I will be working directly with the leadership team to ensure comments like these do not repeat themselves. When your travels bring you back to W Washington DC, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

All the best,

Olivier Servat
GMOlivier.Servat@whotels.com

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I really do love W's as part of the Starwood/SPG line. W's tend to be ultra modern and very swanky. For those, that love a more traditional and less modern hotel this would not be the hotel for you. I do have to say the W is impeccable in its décor and as well Service. The rooms are clean, well appointed, and of course have the Bliss products for shampoo, soap, etc. The rooms are not huge unless you are going to be staying in the suites however, well appointed.

There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance of the W-DC. In fact, you are just minutes from the White House and other DC monuments.

I had drinks and lunch at POV Terrace Rooftop and it was beyond delicious! Totally yum. The prices are not any higher then your mid scale DC restaurant. I would definitely recommend folks to go to this lovely resto-bar. The drinks are delish!! Must try mojito!

As well make sure to check out the 'living room' and the cute nook right to the left of the reception area.

Customer Service was just fine, nothing extraordinary however, very much the 'norm' of what I expect at a W - e.g. friendly, courteous, and efficient.

I always would recommend a W to anyone - I have stayed at many from Istanbul, London, Montreal, etc and now in lovely DC!

I encourage anyone to have a 'W-moment!!"

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends