W Washington D.C.
US$191
US$499
US$392
  • Room Service
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)
US$519
US$278
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Washington Plaza Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
US$271
US$263
  • Pool
Capitol Hill Hotel(Washington DC)
US$320
US$330
US$265
Official Website
  • Restaurant
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)
US$309
US$262
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
US$254
2,415 results
All reviewsrooftop bartreasury buildingbliss spawhite housepov barbliss productsfrosted glassamazing locationrooms are smallliving roomnational mallsmithsonian museumsfew blocksmarlonlobbyspghip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The W Hotel in Washington, D.C. is most certainly the Whimsical Hotel. Starwood Hotels has brought magic back to the old Hotel Washington. While there are many newer deluxe hotels in Washington, I cannot imagine staying somewhere else. Why? Well they have an incredible location right across the street from the Treasury Department, a very short walk to the White House and the best restaurants in town are in walking distance.

And most importantly, the W has incredible service. The staff from the moment you arrive, greeting you outside the entrance, to the registration desk and beyond are friendly, polite, fun and extremely helpful. I sense that they enjoy the work they are doing. Of course, being a W Hotel they have their own whimsical way of doing things. Such as the titles of the staff. Typically you have a “room maid”, but here that position is known as “room stylist”. Go figure!

Years ago after graduate school I stayed frequently at the Hotel Washington. Back then the halls were dark and the rooms I stayed in were very small. Well the halls are still dark, although my wife and I enjoyed a spacious corner suite. We actually looked forward to returning each afternoon from our daily walk-about so to enjoy pre-dinner refreshments in the suite. Since the corner suite had good views of the Treasury across the street, I was hoping to see into the office of Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, just to see what he was working on. Perhaps counting money or just taking a nap. I guess his office was on the other side of the building.

The W is also the home of J&G Steakhouse, as in Jean-Georges Vongerichten, the acclaimed French chef. Our arrival at the hotel on a cold wintery night made dining at J&G that night much nicer since we did not need to leave the hotel. The restaurant has refined service in an elegant old atmosphere topped off with very fine cuisine. It is hard to write about the restaurant without getting hungry!

As I mentioned earlier, the W Hotel is part of Starwood Hotels. During my international career I had the pleasure of staying in Starwood properties throughout the world. I have been loyal to them and they have been loyal to me. There is not a better hotel chain in the world!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. Your feedback proves that the care and attention the team strives to deliver does not go unnoticed. I will be certain to celebrate with the team and thank them for the job well done. Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We are writing this review to personally thank the W Hotel and employees for making our destination wedding in Washington DC the best experience possible - March 20-24, 2014. Here's why:

Customer Service - The ENTIRE team of employees at the W Hotel far exceeded our expectations. From the special wedding gift waiting for us in our room, to the many requests fulfilled to make our wedding perfect, the hotel met our every need. It seemed like the entire hotel knew we were getting married and acknowledged us at every opportunity. We felt like royalty.

Rooms - The hotel made every effort to ensure our entire wedding party were grouped together and upgraded us to a beautiful suite on the eight floor. The suite had a spectacular view of the White House and George Washington Monument. We loved our room and it will be memorialized in our photo wedding album.

Location - The hotel has one of the best locations in DC. Located across the street from the White House, you are within walking distance to many of the major attractions. In addition to having a great location, the hotel has incredible spaces. To better enjoy the hotel lobby, we held our pre-wedding party there. The hotel kindly reserved space for about thirty guests. The service that evening was outstanding and the lobby area was a beautiful backdrop for our celebration. Our guests loved it!

We very much enjoyed our entire stay at the W Hotel. If you're looking for a destination hotel to celebrate a special occasion like a wedding or birthday, we highly recommend this hotel.

To the hotel employees, we will long remember our wedding stay at the W Hotel and hope to pay a return visit for one of our anniversaries. We cannot thank you enough for making our wedding so special.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BOLDMissionHills_KS

It is wonderful to read such an amazing review of your W Washington DC experience. The team strives very hard to provide geniune and personalized experiences to all of our guests, so I will be sure to celebrate their success in providing you with such a memorable experience. Thank you very much for spending your wedding with us and we hope to welcome you again when your travels bring you back to Washington.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

the hotel is close the white house and full of history, the roof-top terrace is a must-see in the summer... But it is not worth staying at this hotel.
Despite an excellent design, the rooms are small, most without view or outside window - just a frosted windows on a blind inside sky light. Showers are not designed for anyone over 5'11, room are commercial displays of everything the W would like to sell to you during your stay, and you are required to ask for everything other hotels provide by default: iPhone adaptor, coffee machine, soap,...
Unfortunately the staff is mainly unpleasant, rushing you at the bar ("you have to leave in 45mn because we have other reservations") or condescending at the check-in ("you can check on our website for this information about your room, sir").
Not to par with the W brand, and below other Washington hotels in the same range.

Room Tip: Be ready to spend extra for a normal room, the ''wonderful'' ones are terrible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Noctanet
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Please accept my sincerest apologies that your experience did not meet your expectations, but you are absolutely correct when you say the roof top terrace is a "must-see." In the future, I suggest that you reserve either a Spectacular or Fabulous room as these rooms face the exterior of the building, more toward your liking. Also the Fantastic and Marvelous suites will have a larger bath, which may be more suitable as well. The team strives very hard to provide exceptional customer service, so I'm a bit shocked to hear that the team was not friendly during your experience. As you can see from most of our reviews is that the team is the best part of the experience at W Washington DC. I can assure you that your feedback has been taken very seriously and I have addressed your concerns with the appropriate leaders in the hotel. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Just returned from a two-day stay at this hotel. For the price, ($325/per night), you are getting a VERY small room and a bathroom with a European-style toilet that is shaped like a bucket, which is exactly what it feels like when you sit on it. Without a doubt the most uncomfortable "toilet-lid" experience I've had in my years of traveling. For only a few bucks more I recommend staying next door at the Williard where most of the rooms are over-sized as are the bathrooms. I asked the friendly young lady at the front desk if all the rooms were as small as mine, and she confirmed that was the case, and the reason she said is because the hotel is so old. I didn't have the time to explain to her that the Willard is close to 200 years old and doesn't suffer the same problem. Apparently being "modern and deco" means having to be uncomfortable too!

The location is very good and the staff friendly and helpful, no issues there. Very nice rooftop bar too, a great scene. I had dinner at J&G steakhouse on the premises and it is just OK, very expensive too. I won't stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a room elsewhere/
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank msh305

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies that the design of your room did not meet your expectations. One of our passion points is design and what W is known for, so I'm disappointed that this was not suitable for you. Thank you for say such nice things about the team. At W, we take our guest feedback very seriously as it helps us improve where improvement is needed and helps us celebrate our successes. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Kayla made our stay. Beautiful room, all the comforts.... Luxuries if you choose. Spacious suite, amazing bath/shower. And the bed was superb. We will be back. Breakfast a tad disappointing, staff seemed overwhelmed, not very hospitable

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. The team strives very hard to provide exceptional service to all of our guests, so I will be sure to put Kayla in the spotlight for her job well done. Your feedback is truly valuable to us. It shows us where we are succeeding and where we may need some improvements. I have addressed your concerns with the appropriate leaders in the hotel as well. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.