“Great spot for a DC stay”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #57 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great location in the heart of DC. Room was comfortable and sufficient for my one night visit. Cool old building with class and style. Highlight was visiting the rooftop bar on a beautiful spring evening and enjoying the view and the vibe. Wish I had more time to enjoy and explore all the hotel had to offer.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Design is a core value of W. The mix between old world charm and modern sophistication makes W Washington DC special. The talent works hard to execute our Whatever/Whenever service philosophy. I am glad that you were able to experience all that is now and we look forward to having you back in the future for what's happening next.

GMOlivier.Servat@whotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,354)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I recently stayed at the W and the location is fantastic, rooms are great though very small and venue is excellent overall, though upon check-in we experienced a desk agent who didn't even look at me during the check in, barely helped me when asked about restaurants, was rude and not one bit welcoming, the concierge was always absent when I was looking for them in regular hours and no one would help us, even the bell team was not helpful when asked a question about organising things to do, a sense that we were not welcome at the hotel being that we looked like backpackers who could actually afford to stay in such a beautiful place.

A great spot, though when service is what I rely on when travelling, I was extremely disappointed in the W and I even use to work for the brand.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Please accept my sincerest apologies that the service you received was less than exceptional. Your comments are not typical about the team and if you are able to provide a detailed account of your experience I would greatly appreciate it. I will be sure to follow up with the appropriate leadership in the hotel to ensure that the team is trained to the expectations of W. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

hard to believe anyone would stay anywhere else if the W is available. Vibrant hotel that has a wonderful buzz. the interior design is without peer. fabulous location, friendly staff, happy guests, delightful furnishings

Room Tip: my room was great!
1  Thank J P

Design is one of the core values to the success of W Hotels. Our mix between traditional Washington architecture and modern design makes W Washington DC unique, but our talent is what makes us special. Thank you for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've had amazing stays at the W Washington DC, and finally thought to write a review to share the experience. The team at the W is consistently thoughtful, looking for ways to customize your experience and make your stay perfect. While frequent travelers will keep coming back for the great rooms and service, everyone will come back to enjoy some of the best views of Washington (both from the rooms and the rooftop bar). Highly recommended stay!

Room Tip: 15th street side has views of WH/Treasury; south side has views of Washington Monument
1  Thank billb531

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. W is known for our Whatever/Whenever service and the team not only delivers exceptional service, but personalizes our service delivery to each of our guests. I will be sure to celebrate with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I'm a corporate travel consultant, and after my experience I recommended most of my clients stay at the W. Very impressed with the hospitality of the employees! Hotel design, rooftop bar, spa, and resturant were fabulous! Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicolle M

Thank you for your kind words. The team does an excellent job delivering exceptional service, so thank you very much for noticing. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The hands down best part of this W is the location. It's next to the Treasury building, close to the Mall and Monuments, and it's easy to get anywhere. The hotel service is very attentive and the rooms are classic W style rooms. Great beds, clean and contemporary styling.

The rooftop bar is nice as well - great views, great cocktails, but the service attentiveness could be a bit better.

Overall, it's a great choice for DC.

Room Tip: The treasury side rooms have nice views, but can be noisy. Also - make sure you close your drapes a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your W Experience. The hotel is successful because of the amazing talent that works hard everyday to provide exceptional service to our guests. I will be sure to celebrate their success in delivering on W's service promise, Whatever/Whenever. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

The location cannot be beat, especially for those in town for fun. The property--especially the lobby--oozes charm and sophistication. In its public spaces, the W Washington DC captures the best of the W brand--luxury that's a balance of old world charm with bright and chic sophistication.

My Suite Night Rewards cleared, upping my standard room reservation (and matching price) to a Marvelous Suite. This made the stay excellent. I cannot say if I would have felt the same way would I have been in a standard room (more on that in a bit).

The Marvelous Suite is decently marvelous. It's spacious and occupies a corner with sweeping views of the Mall and Washington Monument. The bathroom is luxurious with a fantastic shower and separate soaking tub. It's also worth noting that they provide full-size Bliss products in the Suite (as opposed to the 100mL versions in most rooms). While realize the W is not necessarily built for the business traveler, I was--nonetheless--disappointed in the work area. The desk was uncomfortable and the lighting was completely inadequate. The bed/bath area closes entirely to the medium sized living area. You could comfortably entertain 4-6 people in the living space. There is an amazing Bang & Olufsen sound system in the living area—the sound from this system is incredible. However, there’s no way to connect your iPod/iPhone, leaving you options only to play radio and a W CD with a few tracks. Last note on this particular Suite (1001) – it shares a “front door” with another room, meaning you have to enter one door with your key card to then find two more doors—one to each of two rooms. Awkward when you run into the people staying in the other room in this teeny tiny foyer.

I was put off multiple times by two things: the staff and the elevators. The staff: the gentleman who checked me in seemed devoid of all personality and seemed to be doing everything he could to check me in so he could get rid of me. At other times (two, specifically) there were only two staff members checking people in, leading to 10-15 minute wait times at the desk. The elevators: I love that they kept the structural details of the building, but the three teeny tiny elevators just don’t cut it. This is exasperated when they close one off to use exclusively for the rooftop bar. The gentleman on a particular Wed evening letting guests know that they could not use the third elevator seemed to take pleasure in sharing this bad news. Elevator wait times are long and the cars are so small—people and their luggage do not fit.

During my many return trips to DC, I’ll consider the W again should the rate by low.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. As a Starwood Platinum Member, your loyalty is truly valuable to us and I'm glad that we were able to accomodate you in a suite as one of the many perks of our innovative loyalty program. The next time your travels bring you to Washington, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if there is anything I can do to personalize your experience.