“Great location but let down by small issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of W Washington DC

W Washington DC
Ranked #53 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Great location but let down by small issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Great location next to the White House. Nice room, and a great looking hotel. As a member of the hotel group's loyalty scheme, though we expected a better customer service experience. Free wifi was our 'bonus' although, really, free wifi is the least we expect in a top hotel. There is a nice lobby with good wifi, full of guests who presumably didn't qualify for free wifi. Small niggles which stop this being a 5 star review include, for instance, no shampoo in the bathroom. So we bought some in a local store, and the next day shampoo has been put in the bathroom. Just annoying. Please note all bedding seems to be feather, to which I am severely allergic. They did change the bedding for me once I asked, but I had one very bad night. The rooftop terrace is beautiful, but booking would appear to be essential, so we missed out on the opportunity to experience it. Another niggle was that we booked the moonlight tram tour through the hotel and were told the wrong pickup point by the concierge. Not a particularly welcoming or friendly hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
As a Starwood Preferred Guest your loyalty is extremely valuable to us so I apologize that the team was less than exceptional. Your comments are not typical to hear as they work extremely hard to provide superior service to all of our guests, especially our loyal Starwood members. I will be sure to address your concerns with the appropriate leaders of the hotel to ensure that these comments are not repeated. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please reach out to me directly so that I can oversee your experience personally.

GMOlivier.Servat@whotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Korean first
Zionsville, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Great location in the heart of DC. Room was comfortable and sufficient for my one night visit. Cool old building with class and style. Highlight was visiting the rooftop bar on a beautiful spring evening and enjoying the view and the vibe. Wish I had more time to enjoy and explore all the hotel had to offer.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Design is a core value of W. The mix between old world charm and modern sophistication makes W Washington DC special. The talent works hard to execute our Whatever/Whenever service philosophy. I am glad that you were able to experience all that is now and we look forward to having you back in the future for what's happening next.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I recently stayed at the W and the location is fantastic, rooms are great though very small and venue is excellent overall, though upon check-in we experienced a desk agent who didn't even look at me during the check in, barely helped me when asked about restaurants, was rude and not one bit welcoming, the concierge was always absent when I was looking for them in regular hours and no one would help us, even the bell team was not helpful when asked a question about organising things to do, a sense that we were not welcome at the hotel being that we looked like backpackers who could actually afford to stay in such a beautiful place.

A great spot, though when service is what I rely on when travelling, I was extremely disappointed in the W and I even use to work for the brand.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Please accept my sincerest apologies that the service you received was less than exceptional. Your comments are not typical about the team and if you are able to provide a detailed account of your experience I would greatly appreciate it. I will be sure to follow up with the appropriate leadership in the hotel to ensure that the team is trained to the expectations of W. I look forward to hearing from you.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

hard to believe anyone would stay anywhere else if the W is available. Vibrant hotel that has a wonderful buzz. the interior design is without peer. fabulous location, friendly staff, happy guests, delightful furnishings

Room Tip: my room was great!
1 Thank J P
Design is one of the core values to the success of W Hotels. Our mix between traditional Washington architecture and modern design makes W Washington DC unique, but our talent is what makes us special. Thank you for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've had amazing stays at the W Washington DC, and finally thought to write a review to share the experience. The team at the W is consistently thoughtful, looking for ways to customize your experience and make your stay perfect. While frequent travelers will keep coming back for the great rooms and service, everyone will come back to enjoy some of the best views of Washington (both from the rooms and the rooftop bar). Highly recommended stay!

Room Tip: 15th street side has views of WH/Treasury; south side has views of Washington Monument
1 Thank Bill B
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. W is known for our Whatever/Whenever service and the team not only delivers exceptional service, but personalizes our service delivery to each of our guests. I will be sure to celebrate with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I'm a corporate travel consultant, and after my experience I recommended most of my clients stay at the W. Very impressed with the hospitality of the employees! Hotel design, rooftop bar, spa, and resturant were fabulous! Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nicolle M
Thank you for your kind words. The team does an excellent job delivering exceptional service, so thank you very much for noticing. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Waunakee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

The hands down best part of this W is the location. It's next to the Treasury building, close to the Mall and Monuments, and it's easy to get anywhere. The hotel service is very attentive and the rooms are classic W style rooms. Great beds, clean and contemporary styling.

The rooftop bar is nice as well - great views, great cocktails, but the service attentiveness could be a bit better.

Overall, it's a great choice for DC.

Room Tip: The treasury side rooms have nice views, but can be noisy. Also - make sure you close your drapes a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your W Experience. The hotel is successful because of the amazing talent that works hard everyday to provide exceptional service to our guests. I will be sure to celebrate their success in delivering on W's service promise, Whatever/Whenever. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.