“Very Disappointing”

London, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Hotel W
Having read the reviews that this was the best view and a great place for a drink in the rooftop Cafe we made a reservation for 6 pm. Sadly pouring with rain, so the transparent shutters were down and the mist spoilt the view a little. Perhaps this made the area even noisier, as it was full to bursting. The best view was at the end of the area which was roped off for a private party .... The rest of the customers were restricted to the nondescript side views ..... Prices were high and food not a lot better than a high street cafe. Actually would not recommend in the evening ....go during the day when hopefully it is sunny and you can hear yourself think. The staff at the hotel were very helpful though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ralph R
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience. At W, we take our guest feedback seriously and your concerns will be addressed with the appropriate teams in the hotel. If there is anything additional I can do to assist in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

GMOlivier.Servat@whotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Korean first
texas
Reviewed 25 May 2014

actually had a chance to come into DC for a meeting and had a chance to stay at the W. ive stayed around here before but was staying at the Willard which is literally next door. both hotels are excellently placed. they are across the street from the Dept of Treasury and an overlook from the Ellipse and the White House.

We checked in early and were met with a courteous staff. the check in process was great. the rooms were very neat--small but neat. the decor was well done. the bathrooms were wonderful. in fact i think we measured it and the bathroom was exactly half the size of the room. the color and the furniture mixes in the room were also very neat.

had a chance to go through the hotel. the first floor has a really nice bar. more for the atmosphere than anything else. at night the place gets crowded. i believe it is considered one of the hot spots in town. once youve had your drinks downstairs then you get to go to the roof to the rooftop bar. it is actually very nice since it overlooks the White House grounds. there is a nice dance club and a very nice bar. the crowd can get a bit out of hand.

as for the other facts::: the beds are very comfortable. the sleep was nice. the amenities are also excellent. one detractor was the parking. they charged 50 for overnight stay. it would be great if they didnt but again thats a request. the charge was in keeping with the usual charges in the area.

i would definitely recommend. the only reason that i did not give it a 5 is because it is part of a chain and it doesnt have the quality of a Ritz or a Landmark hotel. besides that again i would go.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank shark4rk
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience. Music, fashion, and design is the service culture at W, so I'm glad that you were able to experience this while you were with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if there is anything I can do to assist.

Roxbury, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Went for an overnight and picked the W for the location. It's across the street from the US Treasury and the White House. They allowed an early check in and 4pm checkout, all was hassle-free. Elevator is tiny, hallways are dark, but rooms were clean, modern and funky, although small. Perfect for an overnight or business trip. Room was an interior room on the 10th floor, window was frosted glass and view of other side of building and alleyway below. Went for the location, not the view, so I was not disappointed. Overnight valet parking was $50, ouch.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback as it's important for us to gage how well we are performing. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. If there is every anything I can do to enhance your experience, please do not hesitate to let me know.

New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

The W Hotels are all very similar-- rooms are on the small side, lighting is dim, and techno music is blaring in the lobby in the evenings. Okay, I'm probably getting to old to stay here;) But if you've stayed at a W before you'll feel right at home.

Staff is super helpful. The only real complaints I had on this trip was our room smelled like smoke (even though no smoking is allowed) but we just cracked the window open. The other issue is there are not enough elevators. There is a lot of traffic going to the rooftop bar, making it difficult to get to our room. Maybe this was atypical as it was graduation weekend for a lot of schools.

But this a great location and is close to the museums, monuments, et cetera. You could do worse.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Glen M
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your feedback is valuable and allows us to reflect on the service that we provide to our guests. I will be sure to share your feedback, both positive and negative with the team. When your travels bring you back to Washington, please do not hesitate to reach out to me if there is anything I can do to enhance your experience.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Recently stayed at the W while down in DC for a college graduation. I used to live in Arlington, VA, and had been to the W for the spa and rooftop lounge several times. I'd never stayed at the hotel, though, and I think this trip will be my first and last time.

First, the PROS: The Front Desk Staff, Bliss products in the room, and comfy bed are all FANTASTIC. I didn't go to the Rooftop lounge this trip, but it's a great place. Also a big fan of the Bliss spa. The hotel location is very convenient to metro, excellent restaurants and lots of local attractions (with the White House just across the street).

Now the CONS: Unfortunately, this hotel is just old, and the walls are paper thin. I could hear everything my neighbors were talking about, and since I was on the 9th floor, I could hear the music from the rooftop lounge pulsing into my room until 2am each night. I ended up having to call to request ear plugs, which arrived 45 mins after my initial request. Even with the ear plugs, I could still hear the bass from the music in the lounge. This might not have been a huge issue if I was in town to party, but one of my main needs this weekend was to get some sleep after two very exhausting days in DC. The noise levels were almost intolerable. And these rooms are not cheap. So for these reasons I just couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who values a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on higher levels, close to the rooftop lounge.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NY-TravelGirl99
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
First, I would like to personally thank you for taking time to share your concerns. I cannot stress enough at how vital it is for us to know the opinions of our guests. Guest feedback is the best instrument to recognize areas that are meeting or exceeding expectations and also those in need of improvement. On that note, thank you for your compliment of our talents and our Bliss Spa. This is a true testament to the hard work of our on-stage talent.
I understand that there areas in which the W did not meet your expectation. I assure you that the comfort of our guest’s is a priority. We will consider this kind of feedback for future renovations.
I hope that you will give W Washington D.C. or the W brand another try. Additionally, there are wonderful SPG properties such as the St Regis and Westin Georgetown.
Kindest regards.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Funky hotel in the middle of everything we loved it and thought it was great to access all the sites the room was comfortable and we thought decor was very original it didn't feel like the norm. Must check out the Sushi happy hour at Hamilton's opposite.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tennisbanch
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I hear the view from the rooftop lounge is amazing. I only had one night in town, so didn't manage to make it up there. I did take a look outside my window, though - lovely view of concrete and hvac systems. I guess it keeps you focused on business, if there's nothing to look at. The hotel was quite nice, though - a solid 3.5 stars. I'll give it 3 because of my poorly oriented room. But, had I actually had a view of civilization. I'm sure my impression would be slightly better.

Room Tip: MKe sure to get a room with a view....of something other than concrete.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business