“Good location...but busy”

Ranked #55 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Tatum
“Good location...but busy”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a great location if you want to be in the middle of the DC scene. However, it is very busy and the lobby is always loud. We were on the 9th floor and did not have any problems with noise at night and the staff were very accommodating. I would stay here again, but if you are looking for a quiet get away, may not be the place for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Deborah J,

Thank you so much for your feed back. I cannot be more agree with you as our hotel is busy. And to be completely honnest, it is a nice problem to have.
Actually, we want to be a destination within the destination, where one want to see and be seen.
We work a lot to activate our living room, as well as our rooftop bar around our passion points: Music, Fashion and Design. What's new and next is our scene and we love building some amazing experiences for our guests.
Our location makes us very popular, so for sure, not the best place to enjoy a "selfie" moment :)

Should you have any other opportunity to visit the city, let me know how we can even better take care of you.

Olivier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Do not be deceived by the penthouse lounge that attracts with good views. I checked in here and notwithstanding that I am a Starwood member with high status, as I always stay at Starwood hotels because of their loyalty program, and have stayed here many other times, I was given an interior room which smelled strongly of ammonia. My complaints went unresolved, with such niceties from the manager like "we understand but are totally booked". Why they did not tell my travel agent that the room was one of their less preferred, I do not know. And why it smells of ammonia, I also do not know. If this is the treatment of a loyal Starwood member, I can only imagine the treatment of other non-regular guests. Needless to say, this is not up to par with other quality hotels.

Room Tip: Be sure to request an exterior room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
May I express my disappointment to hear of your stay and how it was not agreeable for you. We value our guests very much so and as a SPG member your feedback is greatly important to us. I have addressed our Style (housekeeping) and Welocome Desk (front desk) team to investigate what went wrong and why there was an unpleasant scent in your room. I will work with these departments to ensure this does not happen again and that your next stay is fabulous. I can assure you that we are focused on extending a wow filled stay to all of our guests and that the next time you are here you will receive nothing less!
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was here on a business trip for a night and this hotel is great. The service is amazing with everyone very respectful and wanting to help you. The rooms are clean and very modern (a general theme for the entire hotel). In addition, there is a great rooftop bar that overlooks the White House lawn and has an absolutely stunning view of the entire city.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is one of the better Ws. Great location; literally the closest hotel to the White House. If you're in DC to see the monuments and museums, you can't do too much better than this.

The hotel itself is attractive - apparently it is the oldest hotel building in the city. They did a nice job redoing the decor in the lobby, though the hallways are dark and drab. I'm glad W is getting away from see-through toilet stalls that allow everyone in the room to watch you use the bathroom.

The sinks are those terrible modern fixtures that dribble water out, are hard to change temperature for, and have such shallow basins, that water gets everywhere.

Hotel loses one big star for outfitting it's gym with the terribly cheap "Technogym" equipment. Why hotels haven't replaced this junk with Precor quality stuff yet, I have no idea. But I'm going to keep beating the drum until they do.

Staff was pleasant enough, though definitely had the Starwood corporate vibe going on - not overly friendly or helpful, but competent.

All in all, a good solid W..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobertGrunnah
Dear Robert,

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience overall. By the way, we have a plan to modify and redesign the "FIT" our gym space, possibly by the beginning of next year. So I hope we aill have the chance to see you again and get your feed back then!

Should you have any plan taking you back in town before that, please do not hesitate to drop me a note so I can make sure that yur really get the room that fits you best!

Until then, have a fantastic summer

New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 June 2014

W Hotels can be very hit or miss, as it seems like they sometimes substitute "modern" for "quality". This one is a great example of that. My room was extremely dark. The window looked across a small gap to another room, so they frosted the glass to give some sense of privacy. The room was also very small, with the bathroom and bedroom merged into one space. I have seen these design approach executed very well at the St. Regis in San Francisco, but here it just felt small and cheap. The location of the hotel is good from a tourist perspective, being very close to the White House, but the dining options are a bit limited in that area. The rooftop bar has great views with an interesting crowd (for people-watching).

Room Tip: Avoid the interior-facing rooms at all cost.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear LMZV,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I have noted your comments about the size of the room, its location and view. Let me share that the building is protected and although our brand managed to transform the interior design 5 years ago; we were unable to modify the structure itself. Consequently, our first catagory of rooms raises 220 sq ft.
I am glad that the service delivery and overall impression was positive. I would be more than happy to have you enjoy some of our larger rooms and suites, we have 200 of these.

Meanwhile, please enjoy your summer and be well

El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 7 June 2014

As we were driving up to the hotel, there were lots of oohs and aahs just at the gorgeous historic building - it's really special. Inside is very "W" with the chandeliers and videos of alternative music playing - a mix if old and new glam. The room was specious but the bathroom was the only downfall. The door to the bathroom was a wooden slider (modern barn door style) that just didn't provide the kind of privacy you expect. The sink area was small but the shower was nice. The location is unbelievable, a block from the White House and walking to literally everything you'd want yo go and see. The bar was nice, view was incredible but sort of annoying in that 50% of the tables were "reserved" but in the hour that we were there, no one used them. It was still light out, not high traffic but still, the W insists on being somewhat affected. Good people watching, interesting for sure. Overall, I would absolutely stay there again, with or without kids, it spoils you fir anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Anneez,

I am thrilled that you shared your experience. As you said, the location of the hotel is unbeatable. It makes our hotel and the rooftop terrace highly popular to the point that we had to organize the service on the rooftop bar with an hostess or host who can take you to the table. The "reserved" signs are just there to prevent from a risk of "unoragnized flow" of guests who can be more than 400 at some point.

Please do not hesitate to let us know next time you plan to be in DC so we can connect and organize an amazing moments.

Have a fantastic summer.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Went there for a bachelor party. Upon arrival, neither of the 3 rooms reserved months in advanced weren't available upon check-in. Also, I was told upon reserving the rooms that 2 of them would be next to each other and the 3rd across the hall. Robbie went above and beyond to resolve the issue. He got one room cleaned within 15 minutes. He gave me the key cards so that my party could go to the room and put our luggage there while we wait for the other rooms to become available. Within 30 minutes, Robbie had the other 2 room cleaned and ready. Besides the customer service and the great rooms, I'd definitely stay there again. The POV lounge was great. Splurge for the VIP section outdoors on the terrace if possible.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear W B,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It is rewarding to see that despite some inconveniences that our talents needs to deal with when the hotel is highly busy, we could come up with the appropriate solution for you to enjoy your stay.
Definitely a nice touch for Robbie who will be commended for his pro active attitude.

Should you have further plans to be back in the city; just drop us a note and we will organize it for you; whatever whenever.

Have a wonderful day