“W Hotel Washington DC”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at the Hotel for 3 nights. On the first night I went up to the restaurant and was told there would be at least a 1 hour wait for a Table. I was told I could wait in the bar which was extremely noisy. I went out to eat that night. Breakfast in this restaurant next morning was not good. At 1010 they had no bread in the restaurant for toast. I asked for some and the waiter said he would have to go downstairs to get some. 20 minutes later there was still no bread so I asked the manager and he said the waiter had gone to get some 2 minutes ago. Eventually at 1045 the manager brought me some bread which was an abject apology for toast. If you order breakfast in your room it is really good and I did this for the next two days. The concierge is a treasure and arranges things at a drop of a hat. On checking out I was asked if I wanted a copy of my bill or could they e-mail it. I said a copy and found an item which was not for me on the bill. It turned out someone had signed a bar bill for room 227, which does not exist so they debited it to my room 327. This was duly removed. The door man is excellent at getting Taxi's etc and sent one away when he would not confirm the price to go to the airport. I feel that this Hotel is very mixed and needs to raise its game

Room Tip: See the room first before accepting it and above all stay on a low floor e.3 3 as the night club is...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank B944QIpeters
Olivier_ServatGM, General Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2014

Hello,
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us, it is greatly appreciated. I am disappointed to hear of your experience during breakfast, I can assure you I have addressed the team and called for extra training with the staff. I am glad to hear you however enjoy In Room Dining and our fabulous concierge. We are always striving to do better and it is helpful that you pointed out in detail the issues you experienced. I would love to personally oversee your next stay with us here in DC. We look forward to welcoming you back and showing you what is new and next!
Best Regards,
Olivier Servat

Write a ReviewReviews (2,364)

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The W blends the history of the building and the area with cool and modern touches throughout the lobby and the rooms. Great place to stay if touring the Smithsonian, the monuments, the White House, etc. Don't miss the rooftop for a drink and amazing views of the Treasury Building. Excellent staff and we will stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank J W
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Beautiful hotel, rooms not that small, as others travelers had mentioned. Walking distance from all mayors attractions. Hop on Hop bus Stop at the corner of the Hotel, two metro stations near, Metro Station &White House. Ours rooms 612 & 614 were very quiet and had a view to the hotel entrance. I recommend the APPs Open Table for pin pointing nearest restaurants and always make reservations, very busy restaurants. Jaleo Restaurant is the best food!

Why I did not give 5 Stars: 1. Drapes and curtains are in need for Dry Cleaning Rush, too much dust!
2. In need of a restaurant and an outside Cafe. Both are not in service.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Camila50
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We are not the right customers for the W. We’re the kind of guests that likes quiet, not speakers blaring and bass thumping outside the hotel door—or our window, as was our case—at 11:00 P.M. We don’t need hairs in the bathtub upon checking in, nor to find a non-hotel pen on the floor after the room was supposedly vacuumed. We don’t need the dividing wall between the room and the bath to be frosted glass, thus when your partner goes to the bath at night, the light shines IN THE ROOM. We don’t need—or like—a sink IN the room.
However, we did like the location, early check-in received and the lovely view and good food at the POV terrace. And the secure elevator that only works with your room key. Enjoyed the Bliss bath products, bed and pillows.
The W “tries too hard to be hip” a reviewer said. I can’t agree more. We stayed at the W because we wanted to use our Starwoods points, but we are not the right customers for the W.

Room Tip: A high-floor room MAY avoid the blaring sidewalk speakers. Not room 312
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tropicalia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The location is phenomenal, bar scene fun to join. Staff is polite and helpful. But the rooms are poorly made, bathroom is very basic and not private. For what they charge the rooms should be much better. But if you're fine with having a basic room to crash right after late night drinks it's a good option.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We recently stayed here on two occasions in the past two months. Once for our daughter's college graduation and once for a brief business trip. Both times this Hotel did the trick. When we stayed the first time we had both sets of grandparents and two sets of young adults . The older group was able to walk everywhere very easily and the younger group loved the nightclub settings in both the lobby and roof top. The staff was amazing to both groups. The hotel offers valet parking for a bargain of $50 a day with unlimited in and out so taking the car was very easy. The restaurant on the main level does a very nice breakfast and you can walk to restaurants at night. Right around the corner from the White House. Rooms are nicely appointed small but efficient as in all large city hotels. Try to get room looking out over 15th street . One negative point a hotel of this size and price should offer free wifi in the rooms .

Room Tip: Rooms facing 15th street or Front street are brighter and the higher the better
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Was in town for work and was lucky enough to stay here. I got a good rate. Had I not, it might have been a little ovepriced. The rooms are a little small but the location is great. The rooftop bar has amazing views of DC. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business