“I Love This Hotel - Great Location, Trendy Bars, & First Class Customer Service!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Washington DC

W Washington DC
Ranked #53 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Mission Hills, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

I am a platium SPG member and travel to DC fequently. I have now stayed at the W-Hotel in DC for six weeks over the past three months. I truly enjoy my stays at this hotel and recommend it for the following reasons:

Location - The hotel is in a prime location in downtown DC. It is next to the Whtie House and within walking distance of the Metro Center Metro Stop. The hotel is close to great shopping, wonderful restaurants, and most of the key tourist attractions. Try the Corner Bakery for breakfast rather than eating at the hotel if you want to save a few bucks.

Trendy - The hotel has (3) very trendy bars - The Living Room (which is the lobby), J&G Cellar Bar (soon to expand outdoors), and the world famous POV/Terrace Bar. POV was recently voted the best hotel bar in the United States for several reasons (outstanding city view, great customer service, and the trendiest people in DC. The social seen at the hotel is truly the place to be in all of DC. Make sure to wear your best, since most are dressed to the 9's.

Customer Service - The hotel has the best customer service around. The staff is always acknowledging guests and trying to make your stay as pleasent as possible. I love the staff.

Hotel Rooms - I have stayed in most all types of rooms. There are (3) medium size suites on each floor with one larger corner suite which is spectacular. The bathrooms in these sutes are incrediable. You'll have to see it to believe it. The other rooms are smaller in size but still very nice. The beds are very comfortable. Rooms are very clean. Try to get a room facing the Washington Memorial since the view is great.

Gym - The gym is average at best. Equipment is not always working but very clean. There is always bottled water and apples available.

If you're looking for a newer hotel with a great location in downtown DC, try the W-Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank BOLDMissionHills_KS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Korean first
Weston, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

SPG Platinum for 11 years (since it existed). I was told by the front desk that I got a "great upgrade"! Walked into the room, and was immediately standing on a bath mat. "What's this?" I wondered. Turned out I was in the bathroom (see photo). The sink and shower are right in the room, which was at most 150 sq feet. I felt like I was in a room designed for leprechauns. It came complete with a "fainting couch" that was about 3 feet long. I went downstairs and accused the front desk clerk of playing a practical joke on me. He explained that it was one of the few rooms with a view of the Washington Monument. 3 rooms later (1 room that was next to the elevator, and the other that had a loud rattle in the A/C), I was in a room that I would normally consider very small, but I had been appropriately conditioned by my first room. There were an additional comedy of errors: My wakeup call was 15 minutes early, because they had "too many wakeup calls". (I know, it's better than late, but when you are already timeshifting, that sucks), room service showed up and started banging on my door while my DND sign was up (no, I didn't order room service), and when I went to turn on the shower, the handle broke right off. For my last photo, you can see my confusion about which way to go to get to room 331 (it was to the right).

I won't be staying there again! The staff did try to be helpful, so I have no complaints about them.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank aviators99
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

I stayed 3 days in January at the W in DC on a business trip. While the location is excellent, I was definitely not impressed by the " new and improved" W. The decor is pretty gaudy, starting with the fake fireplace right at the entrance. The Hotel has been recently renovated and I guess while trying to make the place look cool and trendy, they succeeded to make it look pretty cheesy. Lots of (too) bright colors all over the place, furniture mismatches, dark corridors etc. I really don't get the design of this place and as previously mentioned by other reviewers it almost feel like a high end brothel.
The rooms, albeit small, are modern and the bed is comfortable. However noise insulation is a real issue. I could hear almost everything from the room next to me.
A couple of pet peeves : 1 day of Internet access cost $ 15 at the W. The bottle of water in the bed room has a $ 9 price tag! Just insane, particularly since the daily rate at the W is over $ 300.
I was not very impressed by the service either. On a good note, the fitness room was decent and well equipped.
At $ 300 a night, one definitely can find better hotels in Washington.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

When I think of the W hotel chain, I think of sleek, trendy and modern. The new W in Washington DC is all these things but it also retains the charm and elegance of the Washington Hotel which pre-dated the W. I was visiting this property for a site tour and was surprised by the architectural detail which normally is missing from the W hotels. Fire places are found in the most unexpected places and the rooms while not quite spacious are more than sufficient. Be sure to check out the view from the bar at the top of the hotel which provides excellent views of D.C. including the White House.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
San Francsico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

I travel frequently for business and have stayed at many W hotels. This is hands down the worst business travel experience I have EVER had. For business travel you want to have a comfortable room to stay in, but you also want your experience to be hassle-free because traveling for business is already an inconvenience. Compared to other W rooms (even at the Ws in New York and San Francisco), the rooms at this hotel are very small and cramped. But the bigger problem is the service. I had to leave in a rush because of the storm so had to call afterwards to get my receipt for expense reimbursement purposes. I have done this at many many hotels over the years and usually it is a matter of minutes before they email the receipt to you. At the W, it took no fewer than three days to get the receipt. Once I got it and noticed that they charged me for an extra night, it took about TEN calls to no fewer than six people to get them to reflect a credit to my account and make the adjustment. What's worse, in the process virtually everyone except for one employee was incredibly rude and unhelpful. I have never written a review to Trip Advisor, but this experience and the poor attitudes of virtually everyone I spoke to left such a bitter taste in my mouth that I felt compelled to warn others about this hotel. I travel to DC often and there are many other alternatives in this price range and lower where you can get a much nicer room and, more imprortantly, better service with less hassle.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank felice22
dpkehoe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

My wife and I stayed there for Valentine's Day weekend. Starwood has done a good job nenovating what was once a run down Hotel Washington while keeping the historical parts intact. The hotel has a great location close to the Mall and next to the Willard Hotel. I have been a Platinum Starwood member for a long time so we got very lucky with an upgrade to a suite. The room was excellent with large screen LCD HD TV's, nice tub and shower, etc. Since it is an old hotel, I would imagine that the regular rooms are probably on the smalish side like a New York city hotel but probably adequate. The restaurant in the lobby was excellent. The fitness facility was very good for a hotel - many cardio machines, dumb bells up to 50lbs., and few nice weight machines. All of the staff were very helpful. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

My wife and I celebrated Valentines Day with a stay and dinner at this hotel. This was our first time ever staying at one of the W properties. In a word “sweet”, this place is very trendy and located in the heart of DC. When we arrived the staff treated us very well in so much they gave us a an upgraded room without any prompting from either of us. When we arrived at our room, more of the wow factor, the room was a display of art and functionality Everything was unique as though an artist came to the room and arranged the furniture and place the pictures and displays. I highly recommend this hotel as a place of choice. In addition, the J&G restaurant food was pricey but excellent and well worth the cost.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple