“Tremendous hotel with outstanding customer service.”
Review of W Washington D.C.

W Washington D.C.
Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is my 2nd time staying at the W Washington DC, and I felt a need to write this review due to the wonderful experiences I've had both times. First of all the hotel decor has the old world classic charm of DC, and yet somehow combines this with the hip quality of a cool modern hotel. The rooms are very luxurious and equipped with everything from a gorgeous flat screen TV to a view of the US Treasury building. The beds are super comfortable and come with mood lighting on the head board.
My main reason for writing this has to do with the most exceptional customer service I encountered on each of my stays here. I had an emergency situation with a power outage at another hotel during a heat wave and I was welcomed in the middle of the night by this more than excellent staff. Robert was the night manager and he couldn't have been nicer about getting us in at that crazy hour. Everyone was so empathic at the front desk and really tried to make us comfortable. Reinier Bunnik, the day manager was unbelievably compassionate and allowed us to stay there for the duration of our trip. Each time we entered the building we were greeted with warmth. The entire staff seemed to bend over backwards to do anything to make our stay more enjoyable. Reinier handled a problem on the second occasion with a competent professional style that was truly remarkable. He's intelligent and immediately took action to rectify the issue. He followed up to make sure that it was resolved and one can tell that he's a great asset to the hotel. Amy at the front desk was friendly and helpful along with Beth at the Acura courtesy shuttle desk. Beth arranged for a free ride to a local restaurant in a beautiful new car which I think is a great perk at the W DC. Basically the service I received from Reinier Bunnik and his staff would be enough to bring me back to this hotel every time I come to DC. I have stayed in many upscale hotels, and the service at this hotel sets the bar pretty high.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,354)

Reviewed 4 September 2010

Hello, I stayed here with my wife and children. The room was very small for the price. I've stayed in $89 rooms that were much bigger. They charge you to park and they charge for Internet. No breakfast either. The best part about it was the location I guess. Next time I will stay in the Extended Stay America.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jimdcsi
wdchotel, Manager at W Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2010

Warm Welcome from W DC,

We were very sorry to hear that your stay was not a wonderful experience. Thank you though for taking the time to share your feedback on our pricing structure. We do take this information into consideration when reviewing our pricing yearly.

We do apologize and hope you will try us again in the future,

W DC Producers

Reviewed 30 August 2010

First - I generally like the whole W concept, would stay in one any time. But, the modern W's are really pushing it. Not only did they make the rooftop a bar, but upon checking in on a Saturday night at 7pm, the entire lobby was already transformed into club mode, and I was directed to a small space to check in once getting past a bouncer. You have to use the side entrance and walk down a step to do this, as the main entrance is part of the club scene. The scene there is so well done that someone in the elevator said that the rooftop bar is the "hottest place in the country". A marketing home run but I'm sure that statement is not at all true.
Experienced W people know that a spectacular room may not be spectacularly big. My last minute res. for a spectacular room put me in a masterfully designed small space. I mean everything that could be done to make it comfortable in the design phase was elegantly carried out. But, making the shower part of the room because the bathroom is small is a turn off. The fact that there is no place to have a towel ready when you get out of the shower bothers me (you have to step out or reach around the door.) The only storage space for clothes as well as the safe being in the bathroom bothers me. No electrical outlets around the desk is an inconvenience. But they did make sure every W product for sale was in that small space. I admit, the recognition of my SPG status was instantaneous and late checkout was offered rather than asked for. The room was on a high floor with the best view possible considering the location. I was emailed my folio 2 hours after I left which was a nice surprise. All in all, would I pay extra for it? No. Is it worth the extra points? For a wonderful room or better, probably. Hottest place in DC? I think not.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 August 2010

My fiance & I stayed at the W Hotel for a wedding last week. It was our first time to DC and we were quite impressed. The room was very modern (everything we'd expect from a W) and the bed was wonderful. There a rooftop bar with the most breathtaking view ever....we have NOTHING like that back in central Pennsylvania!! The food menu was limited, but there's a steakhouse downstairs with a full menu. The drinks on the rooftop are pricey, but made with fresh ingredients....completely worth it if you ask me (when I go out I like to drink something I can't make myself at home). I had a vanillia bean infused rum & pineapple drink. Our bartender introduced us to Corey (the guy that made the delish concoction). He was nice enough to explain to us how he made it. The service overall was great & atmosphere perfect. Cool hotel - the bar is worth checking out even if you don't stay there.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2010

W is a high qualitly hotel both in terms of decor and standards. We stayed for an unheard of two weeks from the UK. We loved the style of the hotel and the friendly, helpful and professional staff. The hotel has a lot to offer but at a price (though that could have been the effect of a poor exchange rate!). The roof terrace offers fantastic views over the city and is especially stunning after dark,whilst the J&G Steakhouse provides meals to remember. Our only disappointment was with the roof terrace; as guests you get a 'fast pass' straight up there. However, it is such a popular spot that there seldom seems to be a vacant chair or table for residents to avail themselves of. Despite that we used it a few times and enjoyed the atmosphere and views.
The hotel is as close as you can get to the White House and at the heart of the top tourist sites such as the Smithsonians, The Capitol, the national Monuments and the National Archives to name but a few. We had plenty to keep us going for the length of our stay and made use of the metro and bus service to get to further afield. The hotel provides a free car service at certain times of the week for guests to use too.
First timers to Washington DC might like to know that restaurants in the area open early but also close early; catering for locally employed staff. If you want a quick snack after seven oclock the options are very limited.
We had a great holiday and would definitely use a W hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Planned our DC family stay at the W with great expectations. By the end we were glad to be checking out. The details:

The Good:
* Great location for sightseeing. The Mall, White House, etc are all walkable and there's a Metro station about three short blocks away.
* Decent family-ish restaurants are 1-3 blocks away, including a food court.

The Bad:
* Small rooms
* Frost glass showers that share a "wall" with the bedroom area. How do you feel about your kids watching you shower, or visa versa? No rooms without this "feature"
* No bathtubs except in Suites (with only have one king bed). So, no place for little kids to bathe and even the adult might like a soak after a day of walking to Mall.
* Courtyard rooms are very dark - great if you want to sleep in late though.
* Very nice roof bar, BUT - no one under 21 after 5pm, before 5pm no real food options for kids, glass of so-so wine for $16!?. Adults always have access to this very popular bar, BUT it only gets you in - table reservation is a whole other issue.
* We arrived about 11:30pm with no porter in sight but 3 valets yapping at the door. Porter showed up at the front desk AFTER we had dragged our luggage over the stairs to get in.
* The "cool" decor in the room looked more Kmart than upscale.

As noted above, location is great - but there's a JW Marriott in the next block - might want to try that one first. If your Starwood the Westin Grand has great rooms, fantastic bathrooms, but it's not close to anything for tourists and the Metro is a long three blocks away.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank COFamilyTruckster
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I stayed at the W Hotel in DC and I had a great stay. The service was great and the personal service that I got from Jeff Mead was excellent. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business