“Tremendous Service!”

Ranked #58 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Chicago
“Tremendous Service!”
Reviewed 8 September 2010

For a spot as busy as W DC is the service was very personal, helpful, and timely! The rooftop terrace experience is breathtaking with views of the White House, Washington Monument, US Treasury building, etc day or night. Our server Krystle at the POV (rooftop terrace) was outstanding the entire weekend and gave us great advice to eat at POV for a wonderful brunch (bottomless bellinis & bloody marys) where we had a birds eye view of President Obama land on the White House lawn Sunday midday which put a cherry on top of a great trip--thanks Krystle you were awesome!!! Overall 4.5 out 5 stars rooms are little small but the location, food, and service made it all worth it!!!!! Meghan at check-in was great too--definitely will be back!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cantlosedude
wdchotel, Manager at W Washington DC, responded to this review, 13 September 2010
Warm Welcome from the W DC...

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review! We are really excited that you were so WOW'd by the hotel and more specifically Krystal and Meghan. We will pass your compliments along to them and we hope to see you back soon for some more Bloody Mary's and fun here at the W DC!

W DC Producers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Korean first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We recently stayed at the W Hotel Washington, DC. Finally there is somewhere to stay in DC with a fun, vibrant atmosphere. Gone is the DC stuffiness, replaced with with a trendy, modern environment under the roof of an old historic DC hotel.

From the minute our car pulled up and Jeff Mead took our bags, we were treated to exceptional service in the fun, boutique style environment the W has become known for in other cities. Our check in was fast and effieicent, we were made to feel very welcome and Jeff Mead quickly took us to our room, helped us settle in to the hotel, and held a table for us in the lounge so we could grab a bite to eat and a drink.

The room was very comfortable and consistent with our expectation of the W. The service in DC was exceptional, and the restaurant (J&G Steakhouse) was amazing. We live in south Florida and travel to DC often. We have never had such a great dining and hotel experience in the DC area. It really seemed like we received extra special treatment everywhere we went in the hotel - I have a feeling Jeff Mead had something to do with it but who knows, maybe very guest at the hotel feels this way.

In any event, we highly recommend the W Washington, DC to all of our friends and colleagues and we highly recommend the W Washington, DC to you. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Warm Welcome from W DC....

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on your stay! Jeff Mead will be so excited to see he made such a great impact on your experience. We will be sure to pass this along to him. We will also let JG know of you excellent dining experience.

We hope to see you back soon!

Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed 7 September 2010

This is my 2nd time staying at the W Washington DC, and I felt a need to write this review due to the wonderful experiences I've had both times. First of all the hotel decor has the old world classic charm of DC, and yet somehow combines this with the hip quality of a cool modern hotel. The rooms are very luxurious and equipped with everything from a gorgeous flat screen TV to a view of the US Treasury building. The beds are super comfortable and come with mood lighting on the head board.
My main reason for writing this has to do with the most exceptional customer service I encountered on each of my stays here. I had an emergency situation with a power outage at another hotel during a heat wave and I was welcomed in the middle of the night by this more than excellent staff. Robert was the night manager and he couldn't have been nicer about getting us in at that crazy hour. Everyone was so empathic at the front desk and really tried to make us comfortable. Reinier Bunnik, the day manager was unbelievably compassionate and allowed us to stay there for the duration of our trip. Each time we entered the building we were greeted with warmth. The entire staff seemed to bend over backwards to do anything to make our stay more enjoyable. Reinier handled a problem on the second occasion with a competent professional style that was truly remarkable. He's intelligent and immediately took action to rectify the issue. He followed up to make sure that it was resolved and one can tell that he's a great asset to the hotel. Amy at the front desk was friendly and helpful along with Beth at the Acura courtesy shuttle desk. Beth arranged for a free ride to a local restaurant in a beautiful new car which I think is a great perk at the W DC. Basically the service I received from Reinier Bunnik and his staff would be enough to bring me back to this hotel every time I come to DC. I have stayed in many upscale hotels, and the service at this hotel sets the bar pretty high.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Coconut Creek, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Hello, I stayed here with my wife and children. The room was very small for the price. I've stayed in $89 rooms that were much bigger. They charge you to park and they charge for Internet. No breakfast either. The best part about it was the location I guess. Next time I will stay in the Extended Stay America.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jimdcsi
Warm Welcome from W DC,

We were very sorry to hear that your stay was not a wonderful experience. Thank you though for taking the time to share your feedback on our pricing structure. We do take this information into consideration when reviewing our pricing yearly.

We do apologize and hope you will try us again in the future,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 August 2010

First - I generally like the whole W concept, would stay in one any time. But, the modern W's are really pushing it. Not only did they make the rooftop a bar, but upon checking in on a Saturday night at 7pm, the entire lobby was already transformed into club mode, and I was directed to a small space to check in once getting past a bouncer. You have to use the side entrance and walk down a step to do this, as the main entrance is part of the club scene. The scene there is so well done that someone in the elevator said that the rooftop bar is the "hottest place in the country". A marketing home run but I'm sure that statement is not at all true.
Experienced W people know that a spectacular room may not be spectacularly big. My last minute res. for a spectacular room put me in a masterfully designed small space. I mean everything that could be done to make it comfortable in the design phase was elegantly carried out. But, making the shower part of the room because the bathroom is small is a turn off. The fact that there is no place to have a towel ready when you get out of the shower bothers me (you have to step out or reach around the door.) The only storage space for clothes as well as the safe being in the bathroom bothers me. No electrical outlets around the desk is an inconvenience. But they did make sure every W product for sale was in that small space. I admit, the recognition of my SPG status was instantaneous and late checkout was offered rather than asked for. The room was on a high floor with the best view possible considering the location. I was emailed my folio 2 hours after I left which was a nice surprise. All in all, would I pay extra for it? No. Is it worth the extra points? For a wonderful room or better, probably. Hottest place in DC? I think not.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2010

My fiance & I stayed at the W Hotel for a wedding last week. It was our first time to DC and we were quite impressed. The room was very modern (everything we'd expect from a W) and the bed was wonderful. There a rooftop bar with the most breathtaking view ever....we have NOTHING like that back in central Pennsylvania!! The food menu was limited, but there's a steakhouse downstairs with a full menu. The drinks on the rooftop are pricey, but made with fresh ingredients....completely worth it if you ask me (when I go out I like to drink something I can't make myself at home). I had a vanillia bean infused rum & pineapple drink. Our bartender introduced us to Corey (the guy that made the delish concoction). He was nice enough to explain to us how he made it. The service overall was great & atmosphere perfect. Cool hotel - the bar is worth checking out even if you don't stay there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Cheshire, England
Reviewed 27 August 2010

W is a high qualitly hotel both in terms of decor and standards. We stayed for an unheard of two weeks from the UK. We loved the style of the hotel and the friendly, helpful and professional staff. The hotel has a lot to offer but at a price (though that could have been the effect of a poor exchange rate!). The roof terrace offers fantastic views over the city and is especially stunning after dark,whilst the J&G Steakhouse provides meals to remember. Our only disappointment was with the roof terrace; as guests you get a 'fast pass' straight up there. However, it is such a popular spot that there seldom seems to be a vacant chair or table for residents to avail themselves of. Despite that we used it a few times and enjoyed the atmosphere and views.
The hotel is as close as you can get to the White House and at the heart of the top tourist sites such as the Smithsonians, The Capitol, the national Monuments and the National Archives to name but a few. We had plenty to keep us going for the length of our stay and made use of the metro and bus service to get to further afield. The hotel provides a free car service at certain times of the week for guests to use too.
First timers to Washington DC might like to know that restaurants in the area open early but also close early; catering for locally employed staff. If you want a quick snack after seven oclock the options are very limited.
We had a great holiday and would definitely use a W hotel again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple