“Anniversary Dinner”
Review of Bibiana

Bibiana
Reserve with OpenTable
Bibiana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #320 of 3,706 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: 12th and H street
Transit: Metro Center is the closest metro stop, it is located at 12th and G street and our front door is one block away at the corner of 12th and H street.
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We were graciously welcomed and seated in the elegantly modern dining room where the attentive staff answered questions about the menu and paired a wonderful rose wine to the delicious beet appetizer. My husband enjoyed the perfectly cooked swordfish while I enjoyed a tender, melt-in-your mouth rare steak paired with a cabernet. We finished the meal with tiramisu. The flatware, glassware, plates,and napkins are of high quality which adds greatly to the overall experience. The staff is highly trained, friendly, and know the menu.

1  Thank debrad514

Reviewed 5 June 2018

Really good italian restaurant with a perfect service. Good advices and typical italian dishes, almost like in Italie!

Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

Private room, outstanding attentive staff, well rounded menu with multiple courses. All the dishes were good but a bit heavy handed on the salt.

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Ate a business dinner here. First off the staff is awesome and it is a very nice looking place. The food was okay but not special like I was hoping for. It was a business dinner, so they did bring round appetizers that were very nice. For the meal, the salad did not really have dressing. The first course of pasta was a very plain pasta that tasted store bought but not bad. I had a filet and it was a bit overcooked and dry. Desert was a sorbet that tasted sour. Again, the staff was outstanding.

1  Thank Slingerrob
Reviewed 23 April 2018

Outstanding. I ordered cervo (venison). I was told that Chef had been working on that dish all week, and had only offered on the menu for the first time that night. Three small fillets, cooked medium well, not even a hint of 'gamy', not an ounce of fat. Fillets looked to be rolled in pepper, chocolate or cocoa, spices, and some salt. Texture was firmer than prime rib, but more tender than sirloin. Flavor intensity in the middle, too. The coarseness of the spices and salt made for a nice augmentation of the texture. That is, the meat was as expected, but the spices and salt from the edges added a subtle, barely-there crunch, which I found interesting and welcome. The crunch was not especially salty, but you get the idea of the texture. (I also had no objection to the amount of salt in the preparation. At home, I add no salt at all for health reasons, so my palate is sensitive to salt in restaurant cooking.) The manager noticed that I had ordered a Tuscan blend for my wine, but generously offered me a glass of rose with a hint of effervescence that he said would complement the cervo better. He was absolutely right. I find many roses to be sweet, lack character, and reminiscent of Boone's Farm. Not this one. This one was light, which made me wonder how the pairing would go. But after a taste of the cervo, I discovered that the sip of light-body rose with the hint of bubbles cut straight through to cleanse the palate; something the medium-bodied Tuscan was not doing. I finished the cervo with the rose, and drank the Tuscan before dessert of almond gelato (INTENSE flavor, perfect sweetness). Note that in keeping with authentic Italian cuisine, the portions will be smaller than American. If you are especially hungry, you will need to order a pasta course, as well. Because of the high caliber of the chef, food, preparation effort, and restaurant, expect to pay a higher price for your meal than in many other restaurants. I recommend the cervo.

I find that the servers are always willing to take a moment for a short chat and make a person feel welcomed, appreciated, and valued. The night that I was there, a table of three American women wanted to speak Italian with one of the staff. Even the chef came out and spoke Italian with them. While I can't find food quite like Bibiana just anywhere, the fact is that if I look hard enough, I can find a restaurant at least in a comparable class. But what I have never duplicated is the warmth, friendliness, and personal concern of the staff. I always feel like I have an ally in the restaurant, someone that wants to be sure that my experience and my food are the best that can be. Case in point: The glass of rose that the manager gifted me. I travel to DC occasionally, but I always eat at Bibiana when I do.