“not much better than the other Thai Tanic” 3 of 5 bubbles

Thai Tanic II
Ranked #1,798 of 3,189 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Neighbourhood: Columbia Heights
Description: Second location for this restaurant-- original is also on 14th Street but further south. They refer to this one using the "II" after the name. Just opened.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“not much better than the other Thai Tanic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

A Living Social Couponl which seemed like a great deal, led me to this restaurant. Though there was only one other couple in the restaurant, the service was slow and sloppy. The food was just mediocre, the server's light blue shirt was covered with stains at the front, and dishes looked borderline dirty which indicated hygiene was not a priority. Would not return or recommend

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The first good Thai meal I had in DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Went on a group on, I have to say I am surprised by the quality of the food. It is very tasty and authentic. Although I am not Thai, I come to appreciate the cuisine when I used to live in South East Asia. The service is adequate though not super. Mostly I love the soft shell crab, even though in my opinion, the portion is not big (by American standard) but it comes with a big portion of noodle. The Panang (Pork in savory curry peanut sauce with coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves) and the soft shell crab is my favorite, the chicken green curry, for me, it seems to have too much other stuff in it, there were more bamboo shoots than anything else. The rice is good but not 100% Thai Jasmine rice. Overall, the quality of the food top other thing, I will definitely go back. Since there are very few good authentic Chinese restaurant around, this will be my substitute for my craving of Asian food.

• Visited June 2012
chicago
“Excellent Thai food in Columbia Heights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This is a great neighborhood Thai restaurant in the Columbia Heights section of Washington DC. About 3 blocks from the Columbia Heights metro stop. The appetizer Kanom Jeep was excellent. We especially love the sauce. I always try green curry when I'm at a Thai restaurant that I've not been to before, and this was some of the best I've had. It even had Thai eggplant, which seems to have become a rarity. And the soft shelled crab pad thai was as beautiful as it was delicous. Not corwded on a Friday night.

• Visited April 2012
Bronx, New York
“Still a favorite but....!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

So I discovered Thai Tanic II on the website and since we had such a great experience at the 1st location...why not the second! Well visually Tanic II is has more modern decor, is beautifully decorated and street parking was available however, the exterior didn't stand out in the neighborhood and we actually drove passed it. The food at Tanic I was so much better but the decor lacked so we were torn between the two locations and parking is extremely difficult at times at the 1st location. So its all about what you looking for...still liked the original location but just didn't like the decor.

• Visited February 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A nice but average neighborhood restaurant - but if you go be sure to try the fried bananas!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

This restaurant was picked by some friends because it's in their neighbourhood (actually they suggested the Heights and this one and based on the Yelp reviews I decided we should try this one). It's a few blocks north of the Columbia Heights metro stations so the area is quieter. There are plenty of ourdoor seating but we chose to stay inside because when we arrived there were people smoking at one of the outside tables. The interior's not big but well decorated - with the bar on one side and bench seats against two walls on the other side. The seats were comfortable and the noise level is low so you can carry on a conversation in a normal voice. The waitress was nice however did not speak very good English, so we had to repeat everything several times in order to make sure that she understood what we wanted. We had the Tod Mun Par to start - they were ok but not the best I've had. The green curry with shrimp was a bit bland, and the Pad Thai although quite tasty, was a bit soggy and much sweeter than usual. My friends had the Por Pea Shrimp eggrolls, which they liked. We debated whether to have dessert, because the meal was just so-so, but it was a good thing that we did. Because the dessert - Black Sticky Rice Pudding and Crispy Fried Banana - were simply delicious! The fried bananas were so crispy on the outside and warm and tender on the inside we could easily have ordered seconds. I would say that the dessert was the best part of the meal and it would be worth it to just go there to have the dessert. Overall, I would say it's a nice but pretty average neighborhood restaurant. I'll probably recommend it to someone who must find some place to eat in Columbia Heights but it's not a restaurant one needs to go out of their way to try.

• Visited August 2011