“Great lunch on the patio.”
Review of Bistro Cacao

Bistro Cacao
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Cacao is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #72 of 3,338 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: European, French, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Union Station red line three blocks away
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The weekday lunch menu at Bistro Cacao is geared for quick service, offering mostly salads, soups, sandwiches, and the like. I had the main course Salade Cacao (house) with grilled salmon. Delicious, by any standard. My friends had soup and salads, which they also enjoyed. Service was attentive and friendly, too. I would definitely like to come back for dinner.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Even the rain could not dampen the meal . 3 properties joined to get her to make a quirky French home with little private areas to eat in on comfy seating. The French onion soup was to die for and my steak we'll scrumdiddlyous ( my word for out standing)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

On a July 4 weekend visit to DC, my husband & I had a very enjoyable dinner here. The food and service were both excellent. We had a reservation & were seated immediately. We shared a very interesting & tasty of Grilled Calamari & Grilled Pineapple - delicious. I had the Grilled Seafood Plate with Grilled Artichoke - deliciously done. My husband had a special Lobster-Stuffed Trout that he enjoyed as well. Delicious wine recommendation as well. My husband had a delicious dessert of Warm Apple Tart Tatine with Ice Cream, worth the 20-minute wait that the server did inform us of. The red room is very charming & intimate, our server was very knowledgeable & sweet as well. Very enjoyable and relaxed dining experience.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Bistro Cacao is thought of as an East Capital neighborhood joint. And indeed it is very popular with those of us who live (in my case, part of the year) in this section of the city. I feel the food and atmosphere make it a worthwhile dinner destination no matter where you are in DC.

I love the comfortable, intimate atmosphere of the dining rooms. The decor is refined shabby chic, a style I would normally scoff at. But here it becomes more Bohemian; I actually feel like I'm in a family-run subterranean bistro in Lyon or Paris. The dining rooms are especially cozy on a cold winter night. However, this was a glorious summer night and so we dined on the patio with the regrettably uncomfortable chairs.

The highly personable service can be lackadaisical. Don't be in a rush to go anywhere. I love long, leisurely dinners so I consider this a plus.

The food can be superlative. We always have a soup, salad and entree. I must say that the appetizers are overly conceived and way over worked to the point of being bizarre. Last night my partner ordered the octopus with grilled honeydew melon. After one bite he pronounced it as being "a little weird." The salads and soups (especially the gazpacho) are uniformly wonderful. I also love the wildly creative and utterly delicious vegetable terrine. As for the entrees...go with the fish. The sea bass in champagne sauce is spectacular, as is the halibut. I've never been all that keen on Cacao's treatment of beef, though partner had the venison last night which he thoroughly loved.

In summary...Bistro Cacao is great for those who love an eccentric, cozy atmosphere; service that encourages one to linger; and gorgeously presented food that can be truly amazing.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was on a business trip to the area and one of my colleagues takes French food, good wine, and knowledgeable waiting staff all very seriously. I do too, but not quite to the degree he does. I, however, was tasked with picking the restaurant and picked this one. It was a hit! the waiters were not stumped by his apparently encyclopaedic knowledge of food and wine, and neither were they phased by some of his more demanding questions. the group of four of us had a genuinely fantastic time; it lived entirely up to our expectations and the staff were fantastic. the wine was second to none, as was the whole relaxed experience. Not only would I visit the restaurant again for sheer enjoyment but also with gratitude - well done guys! you saved my skin in over-delivering for a very particular kind of crowd and I thank you for it. I could wax lyrrical about the individual dishes - but i'll let him do that!