“inconvenient location, museum just ok”

National Geographic Museum
Book In Advance
US$49.00*
Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour of Washington DC: Monuments, Landmarks and Memorials
US$73.75*
and up
Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight...
US$54.00*
Washington DC Explorer Pass
Ranked #101 of 454 things to do in Washington DC
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This museum is not near anything else we wished to visit (the National Mall/Smithsonian museums, the Zoo, etc) but my children really wanted to go. We had to pay to park in the garage across the street ($16) because the street parking was all full. We were prepared to pay $32 for the 4 of us to enter ($11 adult, plus 3 $7 children) but since it was Earth Day all tickets were $5. I would say, after having been through it, $5 is a more appropriate price than $7 or $11. There are basically only two exhibit galleries. One to the left was Peruvian Gold - interesting, but nothing spectacular. The other, to the right, was the more long term gallery, including the covers of every NG magazine in its history, an enormous globe, a few interactive screens (including one game that morphs players into bears - the kids liked that). There was a free movie playing that day, which we all enjoyed. Overall it was a nice way to spend 2 hours but we'd probably never visit again.

2  Thank Heather H

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Our first stop in Washington DC! A must see if you want to nurture the love of science and history in young children.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We visited this museum having done all the Smithsonians in the days prior, mostly as we wanted to head away from the overcrowded mall on cherry blossom parade day and our hotel was quite close. We took our 2 kids aged 11 and 9 and they both enjoyed it. It was small enough for them not to get too bored, with a few interactive exhibits and some stunning photographs. We also did the imax move which was quite good.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

I'll fess up- I'm a professional photographer so I'm a bit biased. I clearly have a natural inclination to this sort of place/museum. I came specifically to see the "Women of Vision" special exhibit. It did not disappoint. I was in DC for two weeks, went to at least a dozen museums, and this was hand's down the winner. It wasn't just the end result of the chosen photos, but the stories and interactivity displays about how they were picked. The regular museum experience is awesome too. The corridor of past covers is simply mega cool.

1  Thank Kelly P
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Museum not worth the price- if you go , catch the film and skip the rest. Better yet, walk a few blocks and see the Phillip's Collection at 21st and Q Street.