“A great Sunday brunch” 4 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Ashburn
“A great Sunday brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012 via mobile

I will start this off by saying I am not vegan. In fact I am not vegetarian. Some would say I am as big a carnivore as anyone ... but when it comes to good food you will have a hard time finding a label that I will fit under and Cafe Green has good food. We ended up at Cafe Green to celebrate my vegan daughters birthday. Over the many years we have found many great vegan restaurants so when she wanted to go out to lunch and chose Cafe Green I did not hesitate at all.

It was Sunday so the brunch menu was out. It is a bit more limiting than their regular menu but for a brunch menu there is a nice variety. We had 3 different dishes between the four of us and a couple of different smoothies. All were good but the smoothies, the tex-mex dish and the blueberry pancakes were great.

Service was very friendly, a couple of minor things but handled very well and in a friendly manner. The atmosphere is open, tables are not crowded and the overall saturation seems to run very well.

Whether you are vegan or not this place is worth a visit - and I know we will be back

“The Worst Dinning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

I have been wanting to make a trip to eat here since it’s opening. I am a Holistic Health and Lifestyle coach and I love the food at Java Green. Finally today my husband, two kids, and I went to enjoy a nice dinner after our visit to the Spy Museum. We were celebrating our son’s 10th birthday. Also my daughter who is 11 is gluten free/dairy free and recently went vegan. I really wanted to show them how great vegan food is and that we could still eat out. What a special treat I thought it would be.

We arrived at 5:45pm so it was still early for dinner, which was fine since we had our kids with us and we knew it would get busy. There was a table of 5 that got seated outside as we arrived. Inside the place completed empty except for a table of two who were finishing their meal. We thought great, we could eat and leave before the crowds start coming in. We didn’t!

We ordered our drinks waited about 10 minutes and the waiter came back to see what we wanted to eat. At this point we still did not get our drinks. We knew exactly what we wanted to order, we even knew what we would have for dessert. We ordered the following:

My daughter: bowl of veggie chili and oven baked potatoes
My son: raw kale chips and bowl of mac and cheese
My husband: kimchi fried rice and a nacho grande
Myself: Live High Cs hold the orange juice

About 10 minutes later our drinks arrived then about 5 minutes later the nacho. We realized that the chili may be too spicy so we had the host/bar person to cancel my daughter’s chili order and instead replace it with the Gnocchi di Rso, she said sure no problem. Nachos were great. The waiter came back to give us more water. We finished our nacho starter then proceeded to wait for our waiter to return and our dinner to arrive. It was 6:55pm by this time and we had only gotten our appetizer. During this time there were a few more people starting to come in. But no sign of our waiter.

My kids were starving now and wondering where the rest of our food was. Now remember in the first 45 minutes we were seated there were us and one other table. Staff wise there were three people cooking in the kitchen, two working waiters, one waiter who seemed like he was just coming into work, and two women who seemed like bar and floor manager. The kitchen staff was working hard so I just assumed that they were running behind a bit because of the other party. But we had been there for an hour and we still hadn’t been served our meal and saw our waiter once after taking our order. We had sat there for 20 minutes with our empty nacho plates, I even stacked the plate to let them know we were done. No one came by to check on us or to even clear the plates.

Finally when we complained and asked about our food a women came by and apologized for the delay and she would get our order out. We explained how we were unhappy with the service since when we arrived the place had just as many staff as customers.

Slowly our food came one by one but not my juice or my daughter’s dinner. After about 10 minutes they brought us something we did not order, then did it again three more times. We told them repeatedly what we were waiting for. They said they were going to fix the problem but didn’t even try. I took them an hour from when we complained to finally serving my daughter her dinner but not my juice or my husband’s second drink which he had to walk up to the bar and order. When my daughter asked for ketchup the lady at the bar told her “I don’t know there might some upstairs” and never brought her any. I ended up going upstairs and getting it for her myself. The manager first offered us free dessert then later told us our meal would be free because of all the issues. We would rather have had actual customer service and food to eat. After my daughter’s dinner was finally served no one ever came back to check if everything got resolved. We got tired of waiting and since our dinner was free we walked out. We were there for two hours with the last hour being promised that they would give us our food.

Mr. Kim please address the costumer service issues at cafe green! These employees are ruining your establishment and your vision. This was a really sad experience and we left their totally unhappy. I felt sorry for my kids cause they didn’t even get dessert to celebrate my son’s birthday.

• Visited October 2011
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I went to Cafe Green last week, and enjoyed it so much I went back the second night. Even if you're not vegetarian or vegan, you'll enjoy the delicious, healthy food. They have everything from raw entrees to indulgent mac and cheese.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JennBarkley
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“nobody steering the ship”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

While I'm loathe to rip a restaurant for one bad day, this experience was so overwhelmingly bad, I feel compelled to post something. And I hope that the owners see this, and hire some people who know how to problem-solve when they get in the weeds.

We went there for Sunday brunch. This Sunday was:

1) nice spring day..
2) the peak of cherry blossom blooming in DC.
3) followed a recent positive review in a local paper.
4) was the second to last day before the restaurant groupon expired.

You'd think a restaurant would note this confluence of circumstances and prepare accordingly, maybe prepare for a large crowd. When we get there, the restaurant is full and we're behind a group of 3 in line, at the sign asking patrons to wait to be seated. We stand there, assuming we'll be seated when some tables open up. Over 15 minutes, some tables open up and more people line up behind us, and start crowding the doorway that servers have to negotiate to get to tables outside. Nobody has been addressed, acknowledged, nothing - not even a "sorry we're backed up, we'll be with you shortly." But given the open tables, we figure someone will come by soon enough. Fifteen more minutes, and while even more tables are now open, the "line" of people waiting has overflowed into the bar area. Basically, the servers have to navigate 10-15 bodies waiting to be seated just to get to the tables on the 1st floor and outside. Finally, we stop one of the servers, and ask what is going on. She says that they are not planning on seating anyone soon, until the kitchen catches up (with an attitude, btw). So basically, they let us on line wait there 30 minutes, passing by us literally dozens of times, without any plans to seat us, and didn't think it worthwhile to say anything to us. All of us on line left, and spoke outside about how ridiculous it was not to mention anything to us. How long would it have taken someone, anyone to tell us what was happening? Maybe 10 seconds? They simply were going to let us continue waiting there indefinitely, getting the way. In essence, we watched the wheels come off over 30 minutes with nobody steering, and not one employee (server, bartender, runner, manager) took any action do anything about it. Apparently, the food there is pretty good. But I'll never know, and I'm never going to give them my business. To allow this to happen is the height of arrogance or cluelessness in the owner/manager. Continue on this path, and this place will be out-of-business in short order. There are plenty of good vegetarian and vegan options in DC and surrounding areas. This place may not be worth the hassle.

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank visitor00
Baltimore, Maryland
“Love Vegan Food, but this was a BUST.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

I should preface my review with the statement that I have been either a vegetarian or vegan for the last 20 years. I love the idea of restaurants like this. I had been to Java Green on a trip to DC some years ago, and loved it so much that I wanted to go back. But it is closed on weekends, but this new sister restaurant is open. So, of course, I dragged my family along. We had two children two and under with us and three adults.

After we had ordered, we were told one of the chefs was sick and the food would be "a little slower than usual," but that the appetizer should be fast. We did not have any food on the table until one hour and fifteen minutes after we arrived. I had a sinus infection, but my husband and brother were both complaining that the waitress smelled unwashed (they didn't put it that mildly, though.) They had run out of coffee--in a restaurant called CAFE Green. I would have hoped they would have taken pity on the people with two small kids at lunch time and at least given us some bread or chips while we waited forever. I mean, this wasn't fancy cuisine. It was sandwiches that took an hour and a half to prepare.

The food itself was okay. Okay sandwiches. Okay (but way too sweet) chapchae noodles. Definitely not vegan food to write home about. Appalling service. Overpriced food. It's a shame.

• Visited February 2011