“Delighfully surprised!”

Cafe Green
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My friend and I, visiting from Canada, decided to try this place as we meandered through the area on the lookout for somewhere to have dinner and we were so glad we did. I had not had kale chips before and now I am hooked. The special of the day was "meat loaf". It was absolutely delicious. We tried the chocolate mousse for dessert..it was made from avocado and most amazing. We were outside and chatted with other patrons. Our server was attentive and the service was a little slow but we weren't in a hurry. I'll go back next time I'm there.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

From the kale chips to the meatloaf, Kim-chi and Thai noodles the variety and quality of the food means you can take anyone to this cafe, even the adventurous veggie nay-sayer might find something to satisfy. Loved the place and tried the three dishes my party ordered and all were great. Now, the place is a bit casual. It's casual, so we didn't call ahead, but we probably should have. We stood in the lower bar area while and people we weren't sure even worked there asked us if we were taken care of. We said, "we think so" several times and over the twenty minutes or so that we stood there, the person who was taking care of us came by a few times to say 'almost there.' I like chaos, so it was ok by me that we showed up unannounced and were eventually given a table. The dining room upstairs was casual, noisy, and a tad crowded, but we were among friends, so it didn't matter. Once the food and drinks came all was more than 'well'. So, I hope you get the idea that this joint, and I use the term affectionately, is a top notch eatery and that those looking for unpretentious, healthy, somewhat quirky, and best of all, not trying to foretell the next food trend, this is the place to go. Of you're taking you're new Inlaws to dinner and you haven't heard stories of them meditating on mountain tops and groovin with Leonard Cohen, then call ahead so at least you won't have to spend too much time in limbo at the door.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Very creative vegetarian; appropriate wine list, decent service.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

The food was very mediocre. The Thai spicy noodles were spicy but bland. The raw avocado soup was good though. Lots of vegan options but what I had was just ok.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stumbled on to this little restaurant, and it was exactly what we needed. Whatever negatives you may have heard about vegan restaurants do not apply to Cafe Green. It is near Dupont Circle, in an old house. We were seated quickly at a table upstairs. While the waitress was a tad surly, ( she acted liked she was bugged being the only server upstairs ), but the food made up for it. Definitely a sweet find on a side street, even if you are not a vegetarian.