“My new favorite art museum”
Review of The Kreeger Museum

The Kreeger Museum
Ranked #100 of 432 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum home of 200 sculptures and paintings, as well as African art, housed in an elaborate Philip Johnson-designed building.
Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“My new favorite art museum”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I decided to come here to both study the architecture and experience the art. I was satisfied on both accounts. Not being an art major, I wanted to take one of the tours, as I tend to find art museums are hard to appreciate without a guide or strong personal knowledge of art. The staff was incredibly friendly. The tour guide even talked in depth about the architecture for me upon learning I was an architecture graduate student. Normal admission is $10 I believe, but discounts (such as a student discount) are available (I think I only had to pay $7.) I'm excited to see how the sculpture garden project their working on comes out. The only downside for fellow tourists is that it's a bit away from the rest of the tourist attractions, and a ways away from the metro lines. You'll want to take the buses, and maybe wear light trail walking shoes so that you can take a short cut through Glover Archbold Park if you're coming from the red line. Overall you'll burn extra time getting there, but I destination is worth it.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank ErikFess

Washington DC, District of Columbia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Lovely spot, easy and enjoyable”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had put off going to the Kreeger for years thinking it was on par with the old Barnes collection location outside Philly in terms of hassle. No, no, no! Easy as pie! No reservations required and a nice tour through the whole collection to boot. Pleasant and perfect. Gave it a 4/5 only because I would have liked more facts and elevated energy on the tour, but still well worth it. Our tour group was quite large as well (could've been two groups)...

Go to the Kreeger! Don't wait like I did!

Visited November 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Amazing Museum!”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Took a mid-week tour of the Kreeger Museum with friends. Our guide, Barbara, was fantastic. Her 90 minute tour was full of information about the house, the family and the art - which is spectacular. Reservations are required during the week for tours; parking is available. While the museum does not have a restaurant, a short drive away is a wonderful diverse selection.

Visited May 2013
wash dc
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Idiosynchratic collection housed in an interesting structure”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Easily overlooked, this small museum in upper Georgetown has a world-class eclectic mix of modern art, African art, Impressionists, sculpture, and folk art. The docent-led tour was a bit superficial and the grounds were a disappointment, but the work stands on its own. Get a Groupon and treat yourself to some fine examples of Picasso and Monet. Parking is free but space is limited.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank equinoxWashDc
Warrenton, Virginia, United States
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“X off the Kreeger from Bucket list”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Visited the Kreeger Museum for the first time in April and I am planning to return again in a few weeks to take a tour. I used a Groupon, and took a lot of photos which I will share since the previous reviews accurately describe a visit to this little gem on 5 acres with free onsite parking. The impressive collection of artwork displayed in a unique home by Architecht Phillip Johnson and sculpture gardens. A very relaxing and exhilarating cultural experience viewing some of the best paintings and sculptures without the crowds of larger institutions. My husband was scheming a way to spend a few nights in the museum. The best I could do was buy him a catalog. Maybe he will bring me back for a concert.... How would I rate the day? Priceless!

Visited April 2013