“amazing place”
Review of The Kreeger Museum

The Kreeger Museum
Ranked #95 of 457 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum home of 200 sculptures and paintings, as well as African art, housed in an elaborate Philip Johnson-designed building.
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I live in the Washington area and have traveled extensively. The experience at the Kreeger is a special one and frankly the way art should be appreciated. It is a small intimate museum and the guided groups are small. You are encouraged to get a close up view of the paintings. Our guide was funny and provided and educational but not overwhelming tour.
The house, grounds, and collection are inspiring and include many Picassos, and impressionists. We spent 1 hour and enjoyed the entire museum and grounds. We could have stayed longer. I can't wait to take visitors and family. Very easy to get to and lots of parking. This is not a touristy place but a wonderful relaxed experience with beautiful art in a fabulous contemporary house.

5  Thank susan v

Reviewed 1 January 2014

In the true meaning of that adjective, this museum is "unique". It's really more an art gallery than a museum. The very significant and beautiful pictures hanging in this space (Van Gogh, Mirot, Picasso etc.) combine with the ambience of the site and airiness of the architecture to make this a very sensual and mentally transforming experience. On a practical level, the staff are extraordinarily caring, the parking is limited - so get there early in the day - and the guide we had was helpful without being over-assertive. Above all, expect a artistic adventure unlike any other. Allow yourself about two hours, and get a good map if you intend to use public transport. (You have a fairly long and quite lovely walk ahead of you.) The entrance is $10 full price - but there are several discounts.

4  Thank JohnBurrows2013
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I decided to come here to both study the architecture and experience the art. I was satisfied on both accounts. Not being an art major, I wanted to take one of the tours, as I tend to find art museums are hard to appreciate without a guide or strong personal knowledge of art. The staff was incredibly friendly. The tour guide even talked in depth about the architecture for me upon learning I was an architecture graduate student. Normal admission is $10 I believe, but discounts (such as a student discount) are available (I think I only had to pay $7.) I'm excited to see how the sculpture garden project their working on comes out. The only downside for fellow tourists is that it's a bit away from the rest of the tourist attractions, and a ways away from the metro lines. You'll want to take the buses, and maybe wear light trail walking shoes so that you can take a short cut through Glover Archbold Park if you're coming from the red line. Overall you'll burn extra time getting there, but I destination is worth it.

3  Thank ErikFess
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I had put off going to the Kreeger for years thinking it was on par with the old Barnes collection location outside Philly in terms of hassle. No, no, no! Easy as pie! No reservations required and a nice tour through the whole collection to boot. Pleasant and perfect. Gave it a 4/5 only because I would have liked more facts and elevated energy on the tour, but still well worth it. Our tour group was quite large as well (could've been two groups)...

Go to the Kreeger! Don't wait like I did!

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Took a mid-week tour of the Kreeger Museum with friends. Our guide, Barbara, was fantastic. Her 90 minute tour was full of information about the house, the family and the art - which is spectacular. Reservations are required during the week for tours; parking is available. While the museum does not have a restaurant, a short drive away is a wonderful diverse selection.