“Not a Fan”
Review of Carmine's

Carmine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 3,229 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between E and D street on 7th street
Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
Description: Carmine's is a family style restaurant offering exceptional value to its guests through the many dishes of Southern Italian cuisine. The Carmine's concept is to bring its guests a "wow-factor" sized portions and making any meal feel like an Italian American wedding feast. Platters of homestyle antipasto, pasta, decadent seafood or meat entrees, and of course homemade desserts are all staples at Carmine's, meant for sharing amongst friends and family. When great food and wine are supported by friendly and knowledgeable service, the results are magic - we want every day to feel like a Sunday afternoon at Grandma's.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not a Fan”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Went twice - once with a large group of foreign dignitaries and once with a friend. The experiences were night and day. As part of the large group, in a private room, the food was pretty good - served hot and timely. When I came back with a friend, and we didn't order any alcohol with our meal, our table was shunned and the food we ordered was over-salted and wasn't anything like what I had with the large group. I was surprised at how different the service and food was between the large group (and large alcohol tab) and small group and small tab. Though the food is plentiful and served family-style, my friend and I didn't take home the leftovers. Just wasn't good. Compared to Maggiano's or other Italian chains, the prices are quite high as well.

• Visited February 2014
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
We would love to have you back to the restaurant. Please send me an email at giftshop@carminesnyc.com and I will have you back on us.

• Hebrew first
Dallas, TX
“Yummy food”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Great place for families. Huge portions to share family style. Must have the tug boat or titanic for dessert, it's delicious. The food was delicious and authentic.

Visited April 2014
The Titanic is great. Thanks for the review
Costa Mesa, California
“Good food, not great.”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The portions are huge, so there is that. The food was good, not as good as I thought it would be. The service wasn't good, he was very nice but a little to absent. They do nothing for birthdays unless you pay for a dessert, which I found a little odd.

• Visited April 2014
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thanks for celebrating your birthday with Carmine's. We will look into the service issue immediately.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Disgusting Food, Horrible Service”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Don't believe the hype (can't imagine where it may have come from). Olive Garden is way better than this hole, and I am not a fan of OG.

The Staff:

Hostess was rude, smacking her gum the entire time she searched for our lost reservation, and unhelpful

Our waiter was clueless. The menu lists dishes, but not what is in them. When we asked what was in two chicken dishes, he shrugged and told us what he thought 'might' be in them. Most waiters who care at all about customer service (or a tip) would A. know the menu B. Ask the chef if there was something he didn't know. It also took about 30 minutes to get our check after we'd asked. He never took drink orders.

Another waiter walked by me and another woman with 2 small children while we were on our way to the bathroom. As he passed, he muttered "are you f@!*ing shi!!ing me?!" quite loudly. Pleasant.

The Food:

Bland, bland, tasteless and bland. I have honestly found better Italian food in the frozen food section at Trader Joe's. Our chicken park was dry and tasteless (and cold). Out salad was worse than those salad-in-a-bags you can get from giant...just a mushy, oily mess of old greens. No bright veggies or olives to speak of. Our salmon came with mussels and clams which tasted very old and a bit gritty. This is the WORST Italian food I have ever had in my life.

The Atmosphere:

Our table, seats and plates were FILTHY when we sat down. Used napkins were all over the seats, and our bread plates had very visible crusty old pasta stuck to them. if that is what they are happy to let customers see, I shudder to think of the sanitary conditions in the kitchen.

Hard to talk over the "Italian" music playing. They must have stolen Olive Garden's CD, as every single song was Sinatra or Dean Martin. Yawn.

Opinion:

Incredibly overpriced sludge, horrible atmosphere, and rude, ignorant wait staff. Give this one a miss.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank 2TravellingBrits
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
We would like to speak to you about your experience. Can you send me an email (giftshop@carminesnyc.com) so that I can address your issues? My apologizes.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Overpriced drinks”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Was craving Italian, so we stopped here for dinner. It was packed with a 45 min. wait, but you could sit at the bar or the tables around it so we grabbed a table. We had to go to the bar to order. We ordered a rum runner, which the menu said was 23 oz for $14. Sounded good enough to split only the when the glass probably holds 23 oz, you certainly don't get that much liquid let alone alcohol due to the full glass of ice. Food was tasty, but we waited a LONG time. Our son's food came and was eaten before we ever saw our meal. Wouldn't make the effort to go back.

Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
My apologizes for your wait. I would love to discuss your experience, giftshop@carminesnyc.com. Thanks