“Just a tourist stop with big portions and an indifferent staff.”
Review of Carmine's

Carmine's
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 3,216 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between E and D street on 7th street
Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
Description: Carmine's is a family style restaurant offering exceptional value to its guests through the many dishes of Southern Italian cuisine. The Carmine's concept is to bring its guests a "wow-factor" sized portions and making any meal feel like an Italian American wedding feast. Platters of homestyle antipasto, pasta, decadent seafood or meat entrees, and of course homemade desserts are all staples at Carmine's, meant for sharing amongst friends and family. When great food and wine are supported by friendly and knowledgeable service, the results are magic - we want every day to feel like a Sunday afternoon at Grandma's.
bethesda, md.
“Just a tourist stop with big portions and an indifferent staff.”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've been to Carmine's three times. Each time the service has been spotty at best. Food is served in enormous portions but not really worth waiting for. Climatic was salty and greasy. Meatballs bland and tasteless. Not up to par with their New York location.

• Visited January 2014
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience. Carmine's takes our reviews seriously. Could you email me at giftshop@carminesnyc.com so I can address your visit? Thanks Jennifer

• Hebrew first
New Palestine, Indiana
“Carmine's after a long day of sightseeing”
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I had eaten T Carmine's in NYC and was very pleased. I expected the same food in dc. There was no menu that explained the dishes, just the chalk board on the wall. We chose the lasagna since we all (3 ) like it. The first plate that was served was barely warm. We sat until a waiter noticed we were not eating and he took it back to get it reheated. After a long wait the waiter said they had messed up in the kitchen and he had to replace the order. Ok, so finally the second plate arrived and it was no hotter than the first, this time we just ate it and did not say anything. The ambiance is great, very cosmopolitan. Best part of the experience.

Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for the feedback. Would like to discuss your visit and have you again?
Jennifer
giftshop@carminesnyc.com
Mooresville, North Carolina
“Make reservations or get there early for great Italian!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a great place especially if you are in a large group. They can handle anything from 2 up to a busload but make a reservation! Don't be too scared of the prices because it is family style. Most dishes will feed between 3-4 people obviously depending on their appetite. My kids split a gnocchi with 4 cheese sauce and got 3 servings out if it. My wife and I got 4 from the Chicken Marsala. Pasta was extra with the Marsala which was a little annoying. It is busy bustling and noisy with a NYC atmosphere. People were dressed every style from t-shirt and flip flops to out on the town.

Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for your review and hope to have your family again soon. Mangia!
New Jersey
“Very poor service & poor food quality”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I go to the Carmine's in AC, NJ and love it there. Never a bad meal and service is always good to great. We experienced poor service and poor food quality on our visit to the Carmine's in Washington D.C.

Service: Ordered drinks and they never showed up. We had to say something. Ordered food and it took over 40 mins and that is when there was hardly anyone in the place. We had three different servers and each blamed each other for the problems.

Food: Overkill on the penne a la vodka. Tasted like they put an entire pot of garlic. Carmine's is known for great garlic taste, but this tasted bad. The classic Carmine's salad was nothing like when we eat in AC. Not sure why they do it differently but it was not good.

Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Carmine's takes your review very seriously. Can you contact me to discuss your experience? giftshop@carminesnyc.com
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not a Fan”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Went twice - once with a large group of foreign dignitaries and once with a friend. The experiences were night and day. As part of the large group, in a private room, the food was pretty good - served hot and timely. When I came back with a friend, and we didn't order any alcohol with our meal, our table was shunned and the food we ordered was over-salted and wasn't anything like what I had with the large group. I was surprised at how different the service and food was between the large group (and large alcohol tab) and small group and small tab. Though the food is plentiful and served family-style, my friend and I didn't take home the leftovers. Just wasn't good. Compared to Maggiano's or other Italian chains, the prices are quite high as well.

• Visited February 2014
Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
We would love to have you back to the restaurant. Please send me an email at giftshop@carminesnyc.com and I will have you back on us.