“Very disappointing”

Carmine's Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Carmine's Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #157 of 3,463 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: between E and D street on 7th street
Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
Description: Carmine's is a family style restaurant offering exceptional value to its guests through the many dishes of Southern Italian cuisine. The Carmine's concept is to bring its guests a "wow-factor" sized portions and making any meal feel like an Italian American wedding feast. Platters of homestyle antipasto, pasta, decadent seafood or meat entrees, and of course homemade desserts are all staples at Carmine's, meant for sharing amongst friends and family. When great food and wine are supported by friendly and knowledgeable service, the results are magic - we want every day to feel like a Sunday afternoon at Grandma's.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

After hearing about how good this place was from others, I got an opportunity to go as part of a birthday celebration for my boss. To be fair, it was a day that I knew I would only be getting a green salad for lunch. The restaurant was fairly empty and since it was 1 pm in the middle of DC, I found that rather unusual. Plus it was a beautiful sunny day, so everyone was out walking around.

We sat at a huge table and the server took our drink order and poured water. We were a large group and ordered a variety of things, cesar salads, lasagna, penne and meatballs, a steak sub and garden and Carmine's salads.

They brought some bread, which they kept refilling as well as refilling the water. It took a little while to get the salads. I ordered a garden salad, which was served on a huge oval plate and consisted of some romaine lettuce, mostly the stem parts and an overwhelming amount of watercress that looked like it had just been retrieved from someone's back yard after the rabbits left. It was dirty and holey with thick stems. Although the server told me there was supposed to be cheese in the salad, there was none. There were a few olives and a large roma tomato sliced in half, lots of radishes. The dressing was supposed to be a balsamic vinaigrette, but it was a yellowish creamy color and tasted nothing like balsamic. I can't have milk or cream, so I asked for something not creamy - my only alternative was oil and vinegar.

The salad was terrible, the lettuce was old and other than the stems, not particularly crisp.

One of my colleagues ordered a chicken cesar salad. Even though others at our table got cesar salads, she never got hers. Instead when the entrees were brought out, she got a small dish with three small pieces of grilled chicken breast - no cesar salad. The server didn't seem to question this. My colleague asked to have the salad taken off the bill and just ate the chicken. The others got their giant portions of pasta and seemed to be satisfied, although it took at least 30 minutes before those dishes were delivered to us.

No one ever asked any of us whether we wanted refills on our iced teas.

It was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. The food was terrible and the service was poor. Nothing could make me return there for any reason.

Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Carmine's takes their reviews very seriously and I would like to be able to speak with you about your visit to our restaurant. Can you email me at giftshop@carminesnyc.com? Best Jennifer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,433)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Order 1 dish for 2 people. The portions are enormous. The pasta is excellent and the white cloth table coverings are a nice touch. Worth a meal for something different while in DC.

Thank you for your review. Carmine's has been Family Style for over 20 years in NYC and is best enjoyed with a party o but happy we could be a stop on your visit to Washington DC. Mangia!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I've been to Carmine's three times. Each time the service has been spotty at best. Food is served in enormous portions but not really worth waiting for. Climatic was salty and greasy. Meatballs bland and tasteless. Not up to par with their New York location.

Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience. Carmine's takes our reviews seriously. Could you email me at giftshop@carminesnyc.com so I can address your visit? Thanks Jennifer

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had eaten T Carmine's in NYC and was very pleased. I expected the same food in dc. There was no menu that explained the dishes, just the chalk board on the wall. We chose the lasagna since we all (3 ) like it. The first plate that was served was barely warm. We sat until a waiter noticed we were not eating and he took it back to get it reheated. After a long wait the waiter said they had messed up in the kitchen and he had to replace the order. Ok, so finally the second plate arrived and it was no hotter than the first, this time we just ate it and did not say anything. The ambiance is great, very cosmopolitan. Best part of the experience.

Jennifer W, Manager at Carmine's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for the feedback. Would like to discuss your visit and have you again?
Jennifer
giftshop@carminesnyc.com

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a great place especially if you are in a large group. They can handle anything from 2 up to a busload but make a reservation! Don't be too scared of the prices because it is family style. Most dishes will feed between 3-4 people obviously depending on their appetite. My kids split a gnocchi with 4 cheese sauce and got 3 servings out if it. My wife and I got 4 from the Chicken Marsala. Pasta was extra with the Marsala which was a little annoying. It is busy bustling and noisy with a NYC atmosphere. People were dressed every style from t-shirt and flip flops to out on the town.

Thank you for your review and hope to have your family again soon. Mangia!