“A Standard”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 3,369 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: National Archives Metro Stop
Description: You are cordially invited to join us for an evening or afternoon of relaxed elegance and exceptional cuisine. Our impressive menu of nationally renowned dry aged steaks and the freshest of seafood will ignite your culinary imagination as our award-winning wine list of more than 5,000 bottles awakens your inner sommelier. And as our gracious, knowledgeable servers delight you with their uncanny ability to anticipate your every need, you’ll experience firsthand why the American Culinary Federation recently bestowed upon us their “Achievement of Excellence Award.” Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or hosting a business luncheon or dinner, we can help you flawlessly pull off any private dining event. Our event planning staff has extensive experience and the ideal materials to work with—a capital setting, distinctive food and unmatched service. Located on the corner of 6th and Pennsylvania.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

There are many restaurants that lay claim to service, food and quality - the CG applies these! A +++

1  Thank Jeff L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,749)

Reviewed 12 July 2014

The perfect spot for lunch when taking in the National Gallery of Art. Excellent food and top notch service. I had the citrus seared salmon which was great, and I highly recommend the marinated roast chicken with vegetables. Yummy!

1  Thank Mrs K
Reviewed 9 July 2014

In D.C., in search of a solid steak house experience in close proximity to our hotel and one can only assume that it was a mistake to frequent a chain versus a local specialty establishment.... Please don't misunderstand, as the steaks were very good, but something was lacking from the overall experience and service perspective compared to the top notch steak houses found throughout the United States.

With that said, the chopped salad was excellent as were the truffle french fries and (special) bone-in filet mignon. However, adding to the disappointment was a horrifically poor selection of wines by the glass lacking in both varietal selection and upper-end quality. Still, a solid meal - just not an extraordinary one as should be anticipated and expected from a restaurant of this calibre and price point.

4  Thank Dalecorp
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We love this restaurant. Great service for staffer eager to please. We asked for a special table where we had dined on a previous visit and they graciously made that happen. Meat was done perfectly for me on the first try which was huge as I usually always have to send beef back to the kitchen for a second time to get it right.
The only negative I have is that the dish of very pricey mashed potatoes was laughingly inadequate for 2 average appetites. To be fair, since I didn't bring it to our waiter's attention, I don't know if they would have brought more at no extra cost. Since it was our wedding anniversary, as I am sure my husband told them ahead of time, they compted our dessert which was a large piece of key lime pie presented on a silver tray with "happy anniversary" written in raspberry sauce...lovely! Would definitely go back again!
H

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I am a fan of steak, I am a fan of food, its no surprise then that I have no real objection to the Capital Grille. They do what they do well. That having been said its not a local place anymore, its a chain, that acts as a tourist local in D.C. Equally important is the fact that in order to offer the sort of consistency you expect from a chain their menu has stagnated. Yes you can get a good steak there but is it the best in DC? No. Does it have a local feel? Not really. If you want a steak house check out Bourbon Steak or Smith & Wollensky, if you want local flair head to Cork on 14th Street or Rose Luxury. Medium Rare which just opened is good as well.