“New Hotel in Up and Coming Downtown DC”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
Ranked #82 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Overall a good visit. We came to DC for 3 nights and we had two rooms in the hotel. At first we were concerned about the neighborhood but in the end we thought it to be very convenient. The hotel has an attended garage so we didn’t have to worry about the car. The hotel has a gym and pool but sadly we never had time to explore them! And even though I am mentioning negatives, I would stay there again. I just think my negatives can be used by the hotel to improve themselves even more.

The positives:
The rooms were spacious, clean and attractive.
They were equipped with safes, microwaves, fridges and on either side of the bed there were two lights which I thought was a nice touch, one for reading and one brighter one.
The breakfast was fabulous. They had real omelets to order (not the powdered stuff) with fresh vegetables. There was an assortment of muffins and breads, yogurts, cereal, juices. We were impressed and not expecting this at all.
The bathroom was clean and modern. Ours had a step in shower with glass doors and it was nice as water did not get all over the floor. The bathrooms also had new granite, big sinks, good counter space and decent water pressure if you turn the knob on the shower head.
Free Wi-Fi all over the hotel! Very nice…

The negatives:
None of our beds dials were working to select the sleep comfort level. They just sort of spun round and round. Half the bed was ok, but the other half very hard.
In the bathroom, there was no way to turn on just the shower light alone or dim the lights which made it extremely bright at night if you had to make a middle of the night bathroom run. Also, the switch to the bathroom is behind the door on the outside which didn’t seem intuitive at all.
The toilet paper holder was a bit far to reach.
There is no hook anywhere to hang toiletries. (Only one for towels behind the door)
The showerhead was also very tall (I am 5’ 4”) and liked to adjust it to maximize the pressure. I had to stand on tippy toes in order to do so. There was no handheld shower which would have been a nice touch, especially for Europeans who are used to them.
The only other negative I would say is that the front desk was not particularly helpful as to where to go in DC for good food. I realize the hotel doesn’t have an official concierge but some suggestions of fun restaurants for families would have been nice. Instead I relied on Urban Spoon and Trip Advisor for places to go which worked out fine.
One of the alarm clocks was broken, but on the bright side it was replaced promptly once we pointed it out.

Suggestions:
Add hooks so guests can hang their toiletry bags.
Provide a night light in the bathroom.

Tip: If you want to go to Georgetown, you can park in a garage there for $10 for the evening which is much less than a cab both ways, but take a cab to the Mall to see the museums.

3  Thank MargotTS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Loved this hotel - very much your typical Hilton Garden Inn. Simple, clean rooms, friendly and accommodating staff, reasonably priced for the service received. However, what makes me knock a star off the rating is the area surrounding the hotel. The block that the hotel is physically on, as well as the one with CVS & Unleashed on it is nothing to make a fuss over. Clean, feels safe, has food options nearby (including Potbelly, which only serves coffee on the weekends, FYI). Also, very convenient to and from subway. However, across the street and up the block the other way is a TOTALLY different story. My fiancee and I stayed at this hotel over the Easter weekend, and we quickly learned there was a night club across the street. not a nice nightclub, mind you, rather one that pulls down the metals doors during the daytime. Ugly and unsafe. Granted, you cannot hear the music from outside - but you have to deal with all the clientele that are lined up the block to get in. To put it nicely, it doesn't seem like the nicest bunch of clientele that one could have. We heard lots of arguing and cursing from the crowd across the street as we walked by. Also, they club had some sort of day time event on Easter, so the streets were littered with people. On our way home, we stopped at the McDonald's a block down the street to grab a quick cup of coffee (since Potbelly doesn't have coffee on weekends and the coffee shop next door had closed for the day), and THAT was an experience. While were inside, a teenager and his friends came up to my fiancee and asked for his phone (I mean, I guess at least they were nice enough to ask, rather than just take it), a homeless man was being dragged out of the men's restroom while cursing and screaming at the top of his lungs, and I had trouble getting into the ladies room due to the fact that I needed to get a token from the cashier to enter and they were out of tokens. Our coffee was good, though. Overall, great hotel, MISERABLE area up the block. If you end up booking this hotel, just remember.. unless you're going to the Metro, make a LEFT when you come out the front door!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy F
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This is a lovely hotel in a newly reclaimed area of Washington just north of the Capitol Building. The rooms are spacious and are decked out--like virtually all Hilton Garden Inns--with a refrigerator and microwave. There is a swimming pool and a full-service restaurant that serves surprisingly good food (much better than typical tourist fare). Not surprisingly, it's also very popular, especially with families.

And that's where the problems come in. The hotel has thirteen floors and something like 200+ rooms, so they have to anticipate that there's going to be a big crush at breakfast. But they're simply unprepared. Both mornings, there wasn't enough silverware, weren't enough glasses, weren't enough staff to bring coffee. One time it took so long to get an omelette that the rest of us had already finished breakfast by the time it finally arrived. There's just no excuse for being unprepared like this when you know very well how many guests will be descending on the breakfast room in the morning.

The staff at the front desk isn't always on the ball either. When I checked out, I pointed out to them that they had forgotten to charge me for my parking. File this one under "no good deed goes unpunished": at first, the lady at the desk assured me that they had charged me, then realized that they had not. And then we had to stand around while she tried to figure out how to add the charge, because apparently it didn't work the first two or three times. They should have been embarrassed.

I'm giving it four circles because of the comfort of the room and the convenient location, but the management here seems to be asleep at the wheel. This should have been a more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 28 March 2013

The staff bent over backwards to make sure we were happy and had a great getaway. And I mean EVERYONE was helpful: the front desk, the valet, the restaurant greeter/servers/bartender, the housekeeper helping people on the elevator... I was astounded by how present and ready to help the entire staff was. Color me impressed! The bend was a little on the hard side, even when you put the control all the way to "soft"... but the linens were clean and the housekeeper noticed we went through all our coffee each morning, and had gone downstairs to get complimentary cups from the 3rd floor, and she left us crazy-extra coffee packets and it made us smile (laugh, but definitely made us happy!)

Room Tip: Elevators can get a little crazy on Sundays during check out times. I suggest a lower floor for less...
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Ok , i must say the hotel is clean and well located , rooms are big and cozy but the downside and make everything else worthless is the club across the street . It rock the whole hotel at night , i bet we are talking about 200 dcbl and it goes all night long they do not let you sleep . My cousin and i we stay at 5 floor and 12 floor no mercy . You could actually hear the blass throught the walls , if you are coming here on weeksdays it may be fine but if you are going to stay over the weekends dont . Hilton should paid us for staying here , we could not sleep until the music stop at 3 am . Metro is very closed about 3 minute walkings , super market 2 minutes walking . If it were not for the club i would give the hotel a 5 for sure . But hey if you can not sleep is it worth?

Room Tip: Hilton please sue the club across the street or buy it out . I am going to recommend my friends who...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Danny A
Reviewed 22 March 2013

My family and I stayed here for a long weekend of sightseeing and for me to run in the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. The hotel felt new and was very clean. We had no issues with the room except that we forgot to use the "sleep number" mattresses and ended up sleeping on what we felt were hard mattresses (that was our fault!). The staff was all extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel was full of runners and the front desk took the time to answer our questions and give us advice every time we needed it. The bell men were also extremely friendly and often joked around with our kids. We also liked the neighborhood. If you want action, this is not the place for you, but if you want a clean, up and coming area, this is it. It's a quick cab or metro ride downtown and not far from Union Station.

The one down side was that there is a club located across the street from the hotel. We stayed on the 8th floor on the left side of the building and I could still hear the music until 3am. As a result, I did not sleep well the first night and used a white noise on my app the following night to block out the club sounds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible and towards the back of the hotel. And don't forget about...
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My room was dirty. There was chewed gum on the desk chair- they did replace it. There was hair on the bed and in the bathroom and lipstick on the shower curtain.

The printer was down in the business center.

I got cold coffee each morning at breakfast, and at lunch was served rotten cornbread.

There was a night club across the street that made a lot of noise. I notice they told other people checking in they could have a different room, I was not offered the same.

Worse than the night club was the party in the room next door. there were more than 10-15 people in the room coming and going talking loudly in the hall until 3 am. I was awken more than once to banging on the wall.

If it were not for the NAMB conference I would have moved after the 1st night.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a room not facing the night club
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business