“Keys to Rooms not programmed”

Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Keys to Rooms not programmed”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We arrived and 4 keys were programmed to our room. Some of our party had the same problem. The staff said "they had not got a list of our names from our tour Company". On leaving the hotel our cases were not collected so we had to struggle down with three on our own. We were segregated for breakfast and had polystyrene cups and we had to ask for toast as our "tour Company" had not budgeted for us to have it". Not great!

Room Tip: Don't arrive in a group!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda F
668DavidD668, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC/US Capitol, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear romanihouse,

It looks like you travel quite a bit and were part of a group this time. Various tour operators make different arrangements for meals and baggage handling – but in all cases you should certainly feel welcomed and well-attended. I am very sorry that we seem to have fallen a bit short of the mark for your group.

My contact info is below, and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so I can apologize to you and your tour leader in person. We regularly host groups from 10 rooms to 200, usually with happy results- and I sincerely hope we will have another opportunity to host you again!

Warm regards,

david.del. russo@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Turkish first
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My mom and I stayed here to visit my sister & brother in law who just bought a house in the area. The hotel was clean with friendly staff. Even with a fraternity invite there that night, it was quiet in the room. The room was spacious with a frig & microwave.

The only compliant was the bed. They were so hard! There was very hard mattress (felt like a box spring) on top of a wooden bed frame. In addition to being uncomfortably hard, the beds were loud. When you sat down and rolled over in the middle of the night, the bed creaked so loudly!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank scstar2000
Dear scstar2000,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am delighted to read that you found our hotel clean and staff friendly. I am sorry, however, that your bed was not comfortable! The great thing about our beds is that they are adjustable by turning a lever on the side to make them softer or firmer. It is possible that a valve needs to be replaced in that particular bed. My contact info is below and it would be wonderful if you wouldn’t mind shooting me a quick note with your room number so will be able to check.

Thank you for staying with us, and I sincerely hope we will see you again in DC soon!

Washington DC, United States
Reviewed 18 May 2014

One of the worst hotel experiences of my life. First I called to make sure my room was reserved on the 14th-15th of may and that my service dog was with me. They somehow changed that to the 13th and charged my card the entire rate and the incidentals a day before I arrived. And made it seem like it was my fault and that they were being kind to find a room for me that I already paid way to much for. The beds are hard as a rock and the air conditioner didn't work. Also treated my service dog like a big deal and not in a good way. I will not ever stay at a hilton again due to the amount of stress compared to the value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

3 Thank Jordan W
Dear Jordan W,

I am very sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than wonderful. The comfort of all our guests is our top priority and I am particularly disturbed to read that you feel we made a big deal of a service animal. I assure you the experience you describe is not typical of our high service levels, and I sincerely apologize for the issues you mentioned. We have tried to reach you unsuccessfully via email and the telephone. My email address is below, and I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me so that we can learn from this experience and ensure it does not happen again. I hope you will give us an opportunity to restore your faith in Hilton and our hotel.

Northern VA, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times now and, even though it is new, it has a lot of problems. One of the worst is that there is an extremely noisy nightclub across the street. It's not open every night, but when it is, you will not want to be in one of the front rooms. The noise entering the room from the hallway is extremely loud. The water pressure in the shower is very low. And this may seem silly, but the light switch for the bathroom is outside of the bathroom and behind the door. The only way to turn it on/off is to fully open the bathroom door which is very disruptive to others in the room in the middle of the night. Overall, I'd recommend that you find another location in DC unless you really need to stay in this area of the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

3 Thank David P
New York, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn was a great find! The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. The rooms and amenities were clean and fresh. The location was perfect, right by the metro! We took the Metro into Dupont Circle and went to toured the Emassy's on Embassy Row.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Warren, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great Location Great Staff (Teemon) Great Hotel accommodations I would definitely have to say that I was very grateful that although the check in time was later in the afternoon, they had a room available for all of my family to check in early which was convenient after a long drive, & the staff made us want to come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

3 Thank Yolanda R
Dear Yolanda R,

Thank you so much for your short but sweet review! I am delighted to hear that Teemon took great care of you – and that we were able to check you in early.

Thank you for staying with us, and please come back soon!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in May 2014 and following are my comments:
- This property is quite new (less than 5 years as I have learned) and located in a nice area, about 10 minutes walk away from the Union Station. Several small restaurants, Starbucks and a food supermarket are situated around this hotel.
- Room is very spacious, comfortable and equipped with all the facilities including a coffee maker, iron & board, microwave and Wi-Fi
- Hotel offers other facilities like coin operated laundry, indoor swimming pool and gym.
- A good selection of mini bar items and toiletries are available at the front desk at very minimal prices and some items (like water) were given away free of charge.
- Breakfast is very good compared to similar standard hotels. Even I have tried dinner at the restaurant which was excellent.
- All the staff is very friendly and helpful.
- My stay at this hotel was so enjoyable.
- Conclusion : This hotel is an excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Bud_Wijay
Dear Bud_Wijay,

G’day, and thank you very much for your 5-Star review! You summed us up quite nicely. In fact, I don’t think I could have said it better myself. It looks like you traveled quite a distance to be with us and really had time to explore our amenities. Thank you for sharing all these details with the Trip Advisor community and I sincerely hope you make it back to stay with us again soon!