“Who Woulda Thought?”

Price range: US$29 - US$31
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 25th Ave NW
Transit: 2 blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro.
Description: For world class live music, New Orleans inspired cooking, and that laid back Big Easy vibe, there"s only one place in Washington DC to go. Located at 2519 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, just steps from the Foggy Bottom metro, Bayou brings together the award winning cuisine of executive chef Rusty Holman, hand crafted New Orleans cocktails, and a rotating line-up of both local and national recording artists. With two funky floors of dining and dancing, Bayou suits any occasion. Whether it's grabbing a quick po'boy at lunch, sitting down to a three course dinner, watching the game with a cold Abita, or grooving the night away in our intimate concert space, Bayou is DC's number one spot to laissez les bons temps rouler. Open for Lunch and Dinner Tuesday-Sunday Brunch served Saturdays and Sundays.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were visiting our niece in DC and she suggested a late lunch at Bayou on Penn. Cajun in DC? We walked down and when we entered it smelled and looked like a Cajun place. We had an order of fried tomatoes for an appetizer and I ordered the Catfish Po' Boy & a Abita Jockamo I.P.A, and yes, I know that I.P.A.s are supposed to be hoppy but I have yet to have this experience and the Abita was not at all hoppy. Everyone else ordered a salad. The Fried Green Tomatoes were great with a very nice sauce, I'd consider a double order with soup as a main course. The Po' Boy was very large and also very tasty, my niece was happy to take the other half for a later snack. The others enjoyed their salads but who in the hell orders a salad in a Cajun place?

Give this place a try and if you don't know what something is, try it. BUT don't settle for a salad!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

the portions in this place are quite big, as most US restaurants. the service was efficient and I would say it offers interesting southern style dishes, with items like alligator soup

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Only had the gumbo and salads but that was decent - brown roux style with gumbo file - rather than okra. Decent amount of shrimp and crawdad. Did not have other than a salad, so I cannot comment on the Po-boys which are supposed to be a specialty.

1  Thank Tony L
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Traveling on business looking for something different and found a this great spot in Georgetown on TA. If you like Cajun food you'll love Bayou! John Carlo, server / bartender, provided sound advice and exceptional service. The blackened catfish was outstanding! Save room for dessert and enjoy the homemade bread pudding with a scope of ice cream.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Although based on the decor, I wasn't expecting it, the food was authentic cajun reasonably priced. Dying to go back and try more.