“Very pleasant shopping experience”
Review of Secondi

Secondi
Ranked #21 of 71 Shopping in Washington DC
North Carollina
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Very pleasant shopping experience”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I haven't consigned there (I consign in my home town), but I shop there every time I am in the Washington area. Much of the inventory is not my personal style, but I can always find a real treasure (or three) whenever I visit. The space is bright, the dressing rooms are spacious and pleasant, and (unlike many other consignment shops) the floor is not so crowded with racks that you cannot move comfortably and view your size. I have never found the staff to be anything other than attentive and pleasant. My experience has been so different from that described by some detractors that I wonder if they should look to their own behavior and unrealistic expectations before criticizing salespeople who always seem to be doing their utmost to be polite and helpful.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Sean C
SecondiDC, Owner at Secondi, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Hi there!

Thank you for your review; we were so pleased to hear you have had pleasant experiences in Secondi! We look forward to your next visit to DC!

Secondi

Arlington, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“The worst clothes--it has gone way downhill”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Not at all a curated selection of nice clothing. It seems worse on every visit, with a lot of stained, moth-eaten clothing at ridiculous prices on my visit at the end of October 2013. There are some nice things but they are mixed in with way too much that is very cheap, dirty and uninteresting. I have consigned here in the past and sold most of my things, but the annoyance of having to call them to ask them to prepare a check for mail or pick-up is too much too ask, and a seamy way of doing business. If you forget to call they just keep your money. There is not a lot of incentive to bring nice things now, with the way too much is stuffed together.

I don't have the patience to cull through the extensive collection of tattered, worn-out & pilled offerings to find something chic and wearable. It is getting more like the quality of a thrift shop, not a middle to high end consignment shop. If Secondi wants to retain a good clientele, they need to be more selective about their offerings.

Visited October 2013
SecondiDC, Owner at Secondi, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Hello,
Thank you for your review. We were disappointed that it was not a positive one. We take all feedback very seriously and appreciate opportunities to keep in touch with our customers about their concerns and suggestions.
Our mission is to offer our customers the best possible merchandise at the best possible price in a welcoming setting. We ask our consignors to bring in fashionable, in-season items in perfect condition. Twenty-seven years of experience has taught us what our customers are looking for, and we strive to accept only these items. Our consignors send their pieces to us from every state in the country, and we put new items on the floor every ten minutes. If in this environment our quality-controls slip, we appreciate our shoppers calling the specific items to our attention so we can review them.
You raised the matter of our payment system, which we have revised and updated over the years. We find that checks go astray if our consignors are not expecting them. Your point that the store was crowded with merchandise reflects the fact that local consignors were more active than usual due to the government shutdown . We hope you’ll give us another try.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth it.”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The consignment policy and procedure is a nightmare, and the staff are pretentious and rude. I would have rather donated my $100+ Guess brand dress to Goodwill for free, than to deal with the awful staff for a measly 8 bucks. NOT WORTH IT!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Briemuffin
SecondiDC, Owner at Secondi, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Hello. Thank you for your review. We were disappointed to hear your time in our shop was not a positive experience for you. We take all feedback very seriously and appreciate opportunities to keep in touch with our customers about their concerns and suggestions. Our highest priority is providing excellent service to our shoppers and our consignors.
We ask our consignors to bring in fashionable, in-season items in perfect condition. Twenty-seven years of experience has taught us what our customers are looking for, and we strive to accept only these items. When we must decline an item, we recognize that the consignment transaction may be a difficult one for both parties. We try to be polite and will endeavor to do better. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call us at 202-667-1122.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Bother - Terrible Experience”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

DO NOT GO TO THIS STORE. I tried consigning here - and gave up. I made an appointment to try selling very high quality couture labels instead of giving them to friends and family.The owner was arrogant and rude - and instead of focusing on my appointment - she insisted on stopping and talking to numerous customers and insulted some of my "new" designer labels because she personally didn't care for the style. She is certainly NOT A FASHIONISTA- and is in no position to make those comments. Also - she was more interested in selling to any customer that walked by- instead of taking the clothes and itemizing them. DEFINITELY- a terrible experience - DON'T Bother going here.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Mary V
SecondiDC, Owner at Secondi, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Hello,
thank you for your review. We were sad to hear your experience consigning with us was not a positive one. Customer and consignor service are extremely important to us, and we appreciate all comments and reviews as valuable tools.
As the owner, I want to assure you that I meant no disrespect, and I sincerely apologize if I offended you in any way. On that particular day we were understaffed and I wanted to make sure all customers and consignors felt taken care of, and I am regretful that you did not feel valued as a consignor. I will keep your experience in mind with all future appointments.
It was also not at all my intention at all to insult your consignment, yet I regret that it came across this way. After Secondi's nearly three decades in business I find I and my staff must sometimes make the difficult decision to decline an item or category of item based on continually-changing elements such as excess inventory or previous experience with how a similar item or items have been selling. It is certainly not personal; we want you to make money and have a great experience just as much as you do!
We genuinely hope you will give us another opportunity, and if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to call us at 202-667-1122 or email us at secondi.dc@gmail.com.
We wish you a happy new year!
Washington, Dc
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“No one will guess it's "used."”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Looking for beautiful designer dresses, shoes, and handbags at affordable prices? Dupont Circle's Secondi is Second to None! The management has very high standards, yet they manage to keep prices well within reach. Top designers aside, there is also a well-edited collection of seasonable choices from J Crew, Banana Republic, etc. Selection is targeted to fashion-savvy 30+ year olds.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank amateurhistorian
SecondiDC, Owner at Secondi, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Hello,
thank you for your review! We were so happy to hear your visit was a pleasant one! We look forward to seeing you again, and in the meantime we at Secondi wish you a happy new year!