“The staff was the highlight”

The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
Ranked #37 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 February 2012

After getting stuck in the elevator for 10 minutes, I was beginning to be concerned. However - the staff really came through and the engineers not only rescued us but escorted us up the next elevator and to our rooms with a smile. The operator who was on the phone with me was very nice and reassuring. The manager sent up a nice bottle of wine and cheese platter. After calming our nerves with the wine, we walked into Georgetown for a nice dinner.

The room was ok and pretty much average for an older hotel. It is a"green" hotel so you have to put your room key in the slot to get power. The trouble is that the thermostat then resets to 72 and the room was a bit stuffy on our return. The thermostat was difficult to operate and I spent a lot of time it seems pushing buttons. I finally used a second key to keep the heat where I wanted it while I was out. The lightbulbs in the lamps are the energy efficient CFLs and not quite bright enough...however...the bulbs in the bathroom are the newer LEDs. The result is that the toilet room has the very best light for reading of any hotel I have ever stayed at! I am not sure that is what they were going for but ok, I'll take it.

The doormen Erwing and Amadou, were wonderfully friendly and helpful - they were absolutely great.

Although a platinum, no upgrade.

The bar was pleasant and had some lighter fare food which was nice when we did not want a full on meal. The breakfast was fine but the $5.50 coffee seemed high when the OJ was only $5

If not for the great staff, I would rate average but they made the difference in our stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank United858
Write a ReviewReviews (1,942)

Reviewed 14 February 2012

This was one of the most pleasant places I think I have ever stayed in the United States, I give that thanks to Ahmad,Erwing,Amadou and Solomon, I wanted to take them home with
me:)) thank you for all of your help and kindness that you showed to me and my friend, Ahmad you are a gem! And a gentleman. God Bless You All

Cindy Braden and Z Beckett

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want, this hotel is very accommodateing
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Prior to checking into the hotel, I had a few billing issues and called the hotel to address. Stella, in Group Sales, was fantastic and responsive - she made sure that I was comfortable with the billing situation, and followed up with me when I had additional questions.

The hotel itself is in a great location, especially if you plan on doing some shopping on M Street in Georgetown. It's only about a half mile walk from to many shops and restaurants. It's also very conveniently located to the Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro Stop - I would say perhaps a 7 minute leisurely walk.

The only complaint I had was the rather thin walls/doors. As a Platinum member, I was upgraded to a Studio King Suite. I was very pleased with the upgrade, and duly impressed by the size of the suite and the cleaniless of the bathroom. However, it became evident later in the evening that the walls/doors were quite thin - I could hear doors closed everytime a guest arrived or departed from any of the rooms near the vicinity of my room. At 1:30am in the morning, I was woken up by loud screaming, cursing and objects being thrown against the wall from the room next to mine. If you are a light sleeper, I would suggest bringing ear plugs or ask the front desk to assign you a room that isn't close to other occupied ones.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here as an early Valentine's celebration. The staff was very informative and accommodating.. especially Ahmad Bellman. He let us know about all of the hotel amenities and services with a friendly attitude, great sense of humor, and genuine kindness. We have stayed at The Westin before and each time it is continual great service. We have decided to use this hotel for all of our vacation stays from now on. The only suggestion I would make would be to not charge for Wi-fi or other amenities. I have been to other lower scale hotels that let you use wi-fi for free and also offer you little travel items you may have forgotten without charge.

Room Tip: The heavenly bed is AMAZING.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed here 2 nights in Jan 2012 while visiting relatives in DC. The location is excellent, it is very close to the metro and was a quick 1/2 hour trip from Dulles airport. It is also only about 2km from the memorials so we spent a half day walking to the Lincoln Memorial and on to the Smithsonian museums.
The rooms themselves are excellent. We used points for the stay and they gave us a top floor double which was huge and extremely comfortable. It is very modern and clean, and the beds are extremely comfortable. To do provide a couple of computers in the business centre including a printer. They also provide 1 hour free wifi each day in the reception area.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Victor K
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed here for two nights for a conference hosted in the hotel facilities. The conference details were very good with food and beverage service nonstop. Dusk provided a good stop for drinks at the end of the night; I didn't have any food there but the sliders looked good when another table ordered some. My room on the 8th (top) floor was incredibly spacious with a great bathroom featuring both a soaking tub and a shower stall. A great stay in a nice location!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Took the kids to DC this weekend 1/14-/16 and stayed here with points. First thing to note, this hotel is in the middle of town and as such has no parking lot. You have two choices pay 36.00 a day and you go get your car or pay 40.00 a day for valet service and they will get it for you as much as you want all day long. The hotel is very nice, has a nice lobby, big bar area and restaurant. The restaurant is very expensive so beware. I am from NJ and I know what expensive is trust me. The rooms have a flast panel hd tv and we had two full beds. I don't know why in the better starwood hotels you get full beds, but if I stay at a sheraton I get two queens or even king. The room has a nice bathroom with seperate toilet room. The show though is very small, hard to even turn around. We were on teh 7th floor which I think is reserved for starwood preferred guests as all the doors said that. the room has a media hub so you can plug in all your connected devices, you would not know this though unless you took the top off the thing to find it. You could also if you brought your own cables hook up a dvd player or laptop to the tv through the media hub, but who brings male to female laptop cable with them, the hotel did not have any.

The place was nice but for the points I would stay at a sheraton or four points and have a bigger bed. There also is no pool.

Oh and we went to DC cupcakes, they are good. One thing to note if your going to DC and seeing the monuments, there is no place to eat there unless you wander out about a mile or go eat some junky food in the museums.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family