“Excellent Location and Superb service!”

The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
Ranked #39 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Westport, Connecticut
“Excellent Location and Superb service!”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

From the moment I made a reservations, I received an email from the Concierge, Sloane
Aureli, who was a great resource in advance of our arrival to help plan a package/room decor for a special occasion. She and the other concierge personnel were extremely helpful in assessing different tour companies and planning our days and events. Everyone from the front desk to the bell staff was as exceptional and it made the stay feel very intimate.

The location, 4 blocks from the hub of Georgetown, was GREAT in that we could walk easily to the shops and restaurants. For those who have kids at GWU, it is THE perfect place as it is 1 block from the campus and a few blocks from the Metro.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Purchase, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We recently came down to DC from Westchester NY for the NCAA Sweet 16. We had two rooms and spent four nights. We would like to point out Sloane and James at the front desk for providing attentive service that was above and beyond. Rooms are clean and maintained and all staff on property were always polite, smiling and sincere..especially the nice Doorman from Mali.
Thank you see you next time.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Up until yesterday I was a very loyal Starwood gold member. I always have tweeted positively and have left glowing reviews on Tripadvisor, the Europa and Regina hotel in Venice and the Park Lane in London last march for example. My family is touring colleges these last 2 weeks in March and had booked Starwood properties in Syracuse, Washington DC and Philadelphia. We checked in yesterday at the Westin Georgetown and was very upset with the room they gave us, which they claimed was an upgrade. When I called to book I was assured there would be ample room for an extra bed for my son. There was absolutely no extra space to place the roll out bed except next to the king which meant the person sleeping on the right would have to either roll over the person on the left or onto the roll out bed or pull down all the bedding to get up. We booked the room with points for 2 nights (24,000). I am usually friendly but was growing more frustrated with the response from front desk people. They claimed they could do nothing, I tweeted for help and called SPG direct. After phone calls and tweets I told SPG that I was canceling my personal and business SPG amex cards, canceling all future reservations. We left the hotel and the front desk did not even offer to help us find a room in the other Washington DC areas properties. I am so upset at the way the front desk handled themselves, they truly didn't care that I was very distressed. I was appalled and disappointed but did not yell nor was disrespectful. I made clear they were losing a loyal SPG member and the only thing they said was sorry and watched us walk out of the hotel knowing we will never use our credit cards nor stay at another property. I was truly hurt because I have always felt Starwood takes care of it's members. We had to get back in our car after driving 5 hours and look for a hotel. Luckily I looked on Tripadvisor and found the Georgetown Suites. We have a lovely one bedroom with a fold out couch. I was contacted via twitter by a very nice woman who asked if it was possible find a solution but by that time I had already found the Georgetown Suites. The only way that I could get any attention to this problem was to tweet negatively. The Westin Georgetown couldn't have cared less.

4 Thank NYCBarbara
Peter Y, Manager at The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C., responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Dear NYCBarbara,

We apologize that you did not have a good experience at our Hotel. It is our utmost priority to take care of all our guests and we try very hard to upgrade our Gold and Platinum Members to suites when at all possible. Unfortunately, we were completely sold out during the dates of your stay and the Double Suites were all purchased and sold out. If your travels should bring you back to the DC area, please give me a call personally and I will look into the reservation for you. Take care.

Peter Yeung
Director of Operations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I spent 3 nights here recently and had no complaints. Don't go here expecting complete lavishness, but do expect a comfortable stay. The staff (doormen, front desk) were friendly and polite, but not cloyingly so. My room was actually a room for handicapped guests (I booked through a discount website, so I guess that's what they had), but that just meant things were easy to reach and the bathroom was more spacious with accommodations in the shower/tub for folks who might need to lower the shower head or not lower themselves into the bottom of the tub.I appreciated the 2 complimentary bottles of water for coffee or tea. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean, and even though I was near the elevators, they were not loud. (In terms of noise, though, be aware that George Washington University Hospital is nearby - at the Foggy Bottom Metro station - and ambulances come past with sirens on at least a few times a day.)

The lobby is pretty small, so you won't necessarily want to hang here with friends, but Boveda, one of their two restaurants, has a hip "Latin speakeasy" vibe and the ceviche was DELICIOUS. (Speaking of food, go around the corner to Bread & Chocolate and get the Red Flannel Turkey Hash - it's a great way to start your day!) Probably the best thing about this hotel - especially for people who like to walk - is the location. It is pretty much equidistant between Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, and DuPont Circle. There's a path for jogging in nearby Rock Creek Park, and you can walk to the waterfront to watch the geese and ducks. There's lots of restaurants nearby, good people-watching to be done, and a Metro station in two of those three neighborhoods.

Overall, I had a good experience.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Westin has become one of my favorite hotel chains. While they are generally too expensive for my travel budget (business or personal) every once in a while I find great deals -- like last week, for $147/night (tax incl). The room was spotless, bed comfortable and the tub was long, deep and so inviting I took a bath after my workout before rushing to work. The gym isn't just a closet with dumbbells like at many hotels - it is spacious, well-stocked and has a bonus of cold towels for use. I was only here for 1 night but the staff were great and I enjoyed my stay very much. I'll be looking for the $147 deal every time I go!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We switched to this hotel after one night at another hotel because it was out od date and unsure of cleanliness. What a relief to get to the Westin. Super nice on the phone with reserving, the check in desk. etc.--all of the employees were nice. The room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was fabulous. The kids and I were happy on our trip. Felt safe b/c the room card worked the hotel allowing no one else to get on our floor. Thanks for a great stay.

1 Thank Natalie S
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was here for a meeting and had a great stay. The staff were attentive and friendly. The bed and linens were very comfortable. It is in Georgetown close to great restaurants, shopping, and near good jogging trail along the Potomac. Attention to details such as half and half cups in room for coffee instead of creamer, good in-room coffee, bottled water in room. Fitness center is pretty good. Several cardio machines, several weight machines, and free weights. Two good restaurants on-site.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business