“Convenient hotel with excellent staff”

The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
Ranked #39 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed at the Westin Georgetown for three nights on starwood points the week of March 26th and enjoyed my stay at the hotel. I felt I was treated royally on my late evening arrival by both the doorman and the front desk staff. The doorman, who asked my name, remembered me by name for the rest of my stay. I liked the separate stall shower so I didn't have to climb over the side of the tub and the room was spacious and clean. From this location, I was easily able to walk to my son's apartment in Georgetown, as well as all the tourist sites in DC.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 April 2013

I stayed for 5 nights and 6 days at the Westin Georgetown, so I feel like I had a good chance to experience a variety of aspects of the property. I was traveling with my husband during his business trip, and we used a number of amenities for both the business traveler and those coming in for leisure.

Room: the rooms are a good size for DC, and despite some saying the street-side is noisy, there is not really any noise after 9pm and before 9am. You get the usual day-time traffic, but again - so long as you aren't looking to sleep in until 11am, you should be fine. The real gem of the room is the bathroom - the tub is expansive, the vanity is sizable, and the separate toilet is a nice touch. One suggestion Westin - if you ever consider upgrading the doors in the bathrooms, please do. Putting the toilet in a separate room is great, but if the door is slatted wood, the element of privacy is removed entirely.

Floors: We stayed on the 6th floor (an SPG preferred guest floor). Despite being away from the elevators, the floor is just noisy. The walls are a bit thin, and the doors are heavy, so you hear everything (neighbors playing music at night, conversations, etc). Be prepared to turn on your white noise machine if you want peace and quiet.

Service: I had varying aspects of service. Sometimes housekeeping would miss our room entirely, even though I was out of the room by 9:30 or 10 most mornings. One day, they knocked and were surprised I answered - they had us checking out (despite the fact I was staying another 3 nights). Despite calling down for this change to be noted, we still had spotty maid service. The dining menu leaves a bit to be desired, as the "late night" choices don't really offer much in terms of healthful fare.

Misc: The wifi was TERRIBLE! We were able to expense wifi for the business trip, but if I would have paid 15.00 a day for wifi I would have been upset at the service. We went an entire day without service in the room, and for some that would be an extreme problem in an attempt to get anything productive done. FIX THIS PRONTO WESTIN! Please!

One bright note is that I went out on a run, and upon returning I went to the elevators. While waiting, a bellman came to find me with a cold towel and a bottle of water. I thought this was a great touch, and on par with some higher end properties I've stayed at in the past. Great job on that Westin!

The bars in house leave a bit to be desired. The thought is there, and the food is good, but overall atmosphere is lacking compared to other hotel bars in the area.

If you are looking to be proximal to Georgetown, but not in the thick of M street, this is a good pick. Be prepared to walk a bit to the metro, but overall, if this is the area you need, you'll find it a good option. I would say don't pay more than 300 a night - for anything more you can go elsewhere and get something better.

Room Tip: The street side has good light, and you might be well served to avoid some of the court yard rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Peter Y, Manager at The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C., responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Dear Citychicgal,

Thank you so much for all of your detailed observations and feedback. We are aware of the new demands for High Speed internet Access and we are currently finalizing a deal to upgrade our entire Internet system at our Hotel. Travelers now have multiple devices and require newer technology. Next time you are back in the DC area, please come back and try our our new system. Take care.

Peter Yeung
Director of Operations

Reviewed 2 April 2013

From the moment I made a reservations, I received an email from the Concierge, Sloane
Aureli, who was a great resource in advance of our arrival to help plan a package/room decor for a special occasion. She and the other concierge personnel were extremely helpful in assessing different tour companies and planning our days and events. Everyone from the front desk to the bell staff was as exceptional and it made the stay feel very intimate.

The location, 4 blocks from the hub of Georgetown, was GREAT in that we could walk easily to the shops and restaurants. For those who have kids at GWU, it is THE perfect place as it is 1 block from the campus and a few blocks from the Metro.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

We recently came down to DC from Westchester NY for the NCAA Sweet 16. We had two rooms and spent four nights. We would like to point out Sloane and James at the front desk for providing attentive service that was above and beyond. Rooms are clean and maintained and all staff on property were always polite, smiling and sincere..especially the nice Doorman from Mali.
Thank you see you next time.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Up until yesterday I was a very loyal Starwood gold member. I always have tweeted positively and have left glowing reviews on Tripadvisor, the Europa and Regina hotel in Venice and the Park Lane in London last march for example. My family is touring colleges these last 2 weeks in March and had booked Starwood properties in Syracuse, Washington DC and Philadelphia. We checked in yesterday at the Westin Georgetown and was very upset with the room they gave us, which they claimed was an upgrade. When I called to book I was assured there would be ample room for an extra bed for my son. There was absolutely no extra space to place the roll out bed except next to the king which meant the person sleeping on the right would have to either roll over the person on the left or onto the roll out bed or pull down all the bedding to get up. We booked the room with points for 2 nights (24,000). I am usually friendly but was growing more frustrated with the response from front desk people. They claimed they could do nothing, I tweeted for help and called SPG direct. After phone calls and tweets I told SPG that I was canceling my personal and business SPG amex cards, canceling all future reservations. We left the hotel and the front desk did not even offer to help us find a room in the other Washington DC areas properties. I am so upset at the way the front desk handled themselves, they truly didn't care that I was very distressed. I was appalled and disappointed but did not yell nor was disrespectful. I made clear they were losing a loyal SPG member and the only thing they said was sorry and watched us walk out of the hotel knowing we will never use our credit cards nor stay at another property. I was truly hurt because I have always felt Starwood takes care of it's members. We had to get back in our car after driving 5 hours and look for a hotel. Luckily I looked on Tripadvisor and found the Georgetown Suites. We have a lovely one bedroom with a fold out couch. I was contacted via twitter by a very nice woman who asked if it was possible find a solution but by that time I had already found the Georgetown Suites. The only way that I could get any attention to this problem was to tweet negatively. The Westin Georgetown couldn't have cared less.

4  Thank NYCBarbara

Dear NYCBarbara,

We apologize that you did not have a good experience at our Hotel. It is our utmost priority to take care of all our guests and we try very hard to upgrade our Gold and Platinum Members to suites when at all possible. Unfortunately, we were completely sold out during the dates of your stay and the Double Suites were all purchased and sold out. If your travels should bring you back to the DC area, please give me a call personally and I will look into the reservation for you. Take care.

Peter Yeung
Director of Operations

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I spent 3 nights here recently and had no complaints. Don't go here expecting complete lavishness, but do expect a comfortable stay. The staff (doormen, front desk) were friendly and polite, but not cloyingly so. My room was actually a room for handicapped guests (I booked through a discount website, so I guess that's what they had), but that just meant things were easy to reach and the bathroom was more spacious with accommodations in the shower/tub for folks who might need to lower the shower head or not lower themselves into the bottom of the tub.I appreciated the 2 complimentary bottles of water for coffee or tea. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean, and even though I was near the elevators, they were not loud. (In terms of noise, though, be aware that George Washington University Hospital is nearby - at the Foggy Bottom Metro station - and ambulances come past with sirens on at least a few times a day.)

The lobby is pretty small, so you won't necessarily want to hang here with friends, but Boveda, one of their two restaurants, has a hip "Latin speakeasy" vibe and the ceviche was DELICIOUS. (Speaking of food, go around the corner to Bread & Chocolate and get the Red Flannel Turkey Hash - it's a great way to start your day!) Probably the best thing about this hotel - especially for people who like to walk - is the location. It is pretty much equidistant between Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, and DuPont Circle. There's a path for jogging in nearby Rock Creek Park, and you can walk to the waterfront to watch the geese and ducks. There's lots of restaurants nearby, good people-watching to be done, and a Metro station in two of those three neighborhoods.

Overall, I had a good experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Westin has become one of my favorite hotel chains. While they are generally too expensive for my travel budget (business or personal) every once in a while I find great deals -- like last week, for $147/night (tax incl). The room was spotless, bed comfortable and the tub was long, deep and so inviting I took a bath after my workout before rushing to work. The gym isn't just a closet with dumbbells like at many hotels - it is spacious, well-stocked and has a bonus of cold towels for use. I was only here for 1 night but the staff were great and I enjoyed my stay very much. I'll be looking for the $147 deal every time I go!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business